Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It is nice to be excited about the return of a Star Trek series again, and feeling confident we're definitely gonna be in for a good time, compared to Discovery and Picard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it is. Not long to wait either that's great. Must watch season 1 again before it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

Well, that looks like I might enjoy it again. Actually looking forward to new Trek, can you imagine?!!

Yet again, I wonder if Kurtzman kept his distance for this one. The talking Tom Paris plate suggests....yes.

Heh, just got the Nemesis reference at 1:30 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episodes for this are going to appear on Amazon from August 13th, one day after US broadcast. Noice. If short notice!

Awesome, can watch them on an actual app this time instead of pirating watching them in...other perfectly legal ways....

Is primevideo missing episodes of the 1st season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just had a look there and I see all 10 episodes.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

They were missing for me, last week, when doing a watch which actually registered as a legit view.

Prime is bloody random, at times, with it's viewing permissions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There seems to be two feeds of lower decks for some reason one with episodes missing and one without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's baaaack.

Will try and get it watched at lunch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Happy to wait 'til it appears on Amazon; can we try and keep spoilers within that mindset - given I doubt I'm the only one who'll wait the day 'til it appears Au Naturelle as it were 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

There are four lights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭corkie

See link below for how to create spoilers <<<< edited

^^^ Just trying to workout how to spoiler stuff now

Read the how to. And got it working.

Ignore this post nothing here, yet to watch.

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I had to do a bit of searching around the site to work out how it's now done. Highlight the text you want to tag and you can select it from the format button to the left and then find the dropdown.

It's a bit of a pain!

No, those old tag formats don't work anymore - see here for a howto https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058199126/how-can-i-a-users-guide-to-the-new-site#latest Basically there's a formatting option in the text editor now.

WHEN IS THIS RELEASED

• Advertisement

Ah, the age old "kick the godlike being in the groin" tactic.

Strange Energies! Taking Gary Mitchell to the extreme with Jack Ransom

Enjoyable! Name of episode gives the plot away. Opening of episode was

hologram deck stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.1: That was fun! The link to

Gary Mitchell didn't feel as ominous as Gary Mitchell did 😄

really liked

the Riker bit even if it was so short

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone know what time this goes up on Prime? Is it midnight or in the morning sometime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if its the 13th on US time for us here in NZ am gonna be pissed...

Beers and Lower Decks is sorta the plan tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Not on Prime yet. What an absolute balls.

First episode is up on Prime now.

Too late...

That episode was overly frenetic but still better than anything the past 4 seasons of live action have given us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

The whole show is frenetic, that's the style. Still, great trek imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Awww 1 per week. Its like being in the 90ies all over again

• Advertisement

Yeah but this one was at the levels of the season finale without half as much at stake. Still great but dialled one notch too high (for me anyway)

Watched....and it's still good.

I am very pleased. New Trek to look foward to every week for a while...outstanding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd say Netflix are scratching their heads as to why there's been a spike in viewings for The Old Scientists episode Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Also...is it just me, or is it very noticeable that Lower Decks is the only new Trek show that has the proper Phaser Beem effect we've been used to over the years. Instead of those annoying piffy "Pew!-Pew!" phaser cannons they've had in practically all of the new live-action shows lately. (I don't count Defiant's Phaser cannons in that gripe, those were actually awesome).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just started watching it. Am loving the start. You can tell these guys love Star Trek and lots hints too plus that ship.

9 minutes in oh Mariner lol.

Great Easter egg there with the Strange Energies.

I liked the pears talk lol and the talk about Boimler was gas. I kept expecting to see him and then ye.

The poor commander do lol. Marineer really hit the spot ouch lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The holodeck opening was great, the reveal of it as cardio a good punchline. And yeah, Jennifer seems annoying.

The rest was kinda meh TBH, it doesn't quite gel without Boimler as the prissy foil to Mariners chaos. And I just can't warm to Rutherford and Tendi. They're fine, but rarely feel "main cast" enough. Too bland in spots, though Tendi's occasional deviation into mad scientist can be funny (such as her dog last season).

Still great to have a proper Trek show, even if it's a nominal comedy. Crazy how hyperactive and action packed it is, WITHOUT sacrificing those Trek genetics. It does more with less runtime than the 40 minute live action shows; shows that feel like they don't trust the audience enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭PogoRach

Enjoyable Season 2 opener. The references to classic Trek are always welcome, and the parallels to the season 1 premiere of Lower Decks itself were great. Looking forward to see how the rest of the season plays out.

-the boardsie formerly known as Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Lots of nice details in the holodeck opening. It's still baffling how the animated series can do that and the live action ones don't seem to care.

And that those deals were generally dead on right. When they boarded that Miranda and I saw the bridge I couldn't believe the respect for detail there.

Further evidence I feel of Kurtzman keeping his distance. He is incapable of not somehow f*cking up this kind of respect for Trek without being physically absent.

• Advertisement

It isn't just Kurtzman that's absent from Lower Decks IMO, it's arguably the whole executive tier of the studio. Disco and Picard are two big-ticket, headline live action items; they're the priority and the blockbuster sentiment is absolutely poisoning the well here about what's either allowed or expected from Trek. The silly 20 minute cartoon doesn't factor cos the executives don't care - they won't sell subscriptions on that compared with "hey look we got Captain Picard back!"; while they're all still clinging onto the idea that the 2009 reboot is what people want. The brand is a tool for gratification, not a launchpad for stories.

Kurtzman may need to go but he's absolutely there because of his link with the Kelvin'verse, and the rot starts from above him. Mike McMahan could get the keys to the kingdom but I guarantee he'd be under twice as much pressure as Kurtzman to thread the needle. Maybe if The Expanse wasn't technically a niche flop to the Paramount execs (to pick the best examole of adult space opera from TV, and I would put money that that's how it's seen), the studio would be making more efforts towards mixing brains with the action. Even Lower Decks shows you can have the Trek energy within a high tempo narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Even from the opening shot with the Galor class and the Cardassian phasers and door controls were spot on too.

Not the mention the nods to the Dominion in there too. Everything, damn near everything was well considered.

I also kind of enjoyed them conflating the Starfleet chevron with the Nike symbol. It's on the sweatbands, and even the soles of their shoes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,173 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mike MacMahon also wrote the short Trek episode 'Escape Artist' which I thought was v good... has a similar vibe to Lower Decks

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I felt like the first season dialed back that frenetic style a bit as the series progressed and it became a much better show. They could have balanced the A/B stories better in this episode - instead of Tendi & Rutherford show what's happening with Boimler aboard the Titan. Maybe even reverse expectations by not having the Titan be an all-action, all-danger commission for Boimler.

I think the sooner Boimler gets off the Titan the better; Season 1 worked better when he and Mariner were sparking off each other. 'Cos they're a clear, definitive Odd Couple arrangement so without Boimler Mariner didn't work for me. While the other two just aren't interesting enough to hold the group together.

Ah, such a Boimler thing to do.

Oh, and such gratuitous nudity

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: That was just an all round enjoyable episode. My nostalgia getting hit on overload. Jokes, action, Star Trek and more!

That was hilarious that Rutherford had the clone bet😄

I was totally thinking about Starship Troopers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,064 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A great episode for the Easter eggs but I found it a bit low on laughs again. Love how they solved Boimler on the Titan and much better than my guess that he was just gonna chicken out.

My big takeaway was that a lot of the "lessons" in the episode were a direct kick in Discos groin. Boimlers speech about why he loves Starfleet (Trek), what he hated about Titan and Mariners plot about always wanting to be in charge and never letting her crew members take the lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Binge watched the whole S01 + S02E1. Had a several serious laughs. Great Trek show and very canonical, I'd say.

One has to know a lot of the canon to appreciate many of the jokes.

Advertisement