Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fox Control

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭steyrman

Do the sticks make much noise. Do they flex as they look light. The weight of holding a rifle for long periods can be a bit much on the arms.

How do you find the single resting point for the rifle.

Hi the sticks make little or no noise no flex in the sticks with rifle on top these sticks are 18 months old and work flawless the last set are still here with 2 bent legs after I fell head over heels out foxing last year I have them for spare parts

The single resting point is what I like you shoulder mount your rifle and you have 360 movement with the sticks more natural for my shooting position as foxes or rabbits move you can keep up with them easily out last night 11 rabbits in beet fields and 2 foxes all off the sticks with the 17 hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

You must be very good at calling foxs.

You must be very good at calling foxs.

Hi minktrapper don’t know if I’m that good but I know every inch of my ground and I put in the leg work but the system I use works

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi minktrapper don’t know if I’m that good but I know every inch of my ground and I put in the leg work but the system I use works

As you say you "put in the leg work ". How many nights a week would you go after foxs. Does it take long to deploy the Vanguard shooting sticks.

As you say you "put in the leg work ". How many nights a week would you go after foxs. Does it take long to deploy the Vanguard shooting sticks.

Hi over the winter I would put 3 to 4 nights in foxing different areas it takes about the same time as putting the legs of a bipod down if a quick shot is needed once I’m on a stand it’s ready for action with rifle setup on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

Just back from a walk with the 223, for the first time in my life I shot 2 with 1 shot... I was watching for a while at about 100 yards and then the opportunity arose

I have started to backpack the meat out leaving the carcass there and it works 49 foxes off one hill farm this season I cut the walking down by half I have made a number of bait pipes and put them out some foxes love them others don’t go near them no matter what bait is in them the calls worked very good this season but I don’t overly call a little can go a long way if I see a fox moving away I will walk after it and try and cut it off but the bait station works much better for hill foxes imo[/QUOTE]

How do I set up a bait pipe?

Hi my bait pipes are setup in known fox paths I use trail cameras on them I leave them for a week or so with out any bait then start feeding it with dog nuts and cat food later in winter rabbits and deer gralloch along fence lines there free standing and we’re the trees are I cable tie them or suspend them from branch’s with baling twine

What size pipe and made from what. Do you cut holes in them. When you say free standing how are they kept upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Anyone out lately? Seen many around? Any good pics or stories. Havent been out in a few months myself, hoping to get back into it now though that lambing has started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

We got 3 today out of cover . We're out every Sunday from November to the week before Patrick's day.
    We've 44 got this season so far with the best being 11 two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Big numbers in some place - 2 mild winters previous to this one aided cub survival. The cold weather though since Xmas, i find is making them easier to call in and managed 3 in one night recently:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

We are out 3-4 nights a week since Christmas. Cover about 7km a night varying our route. Getting thin on the ground now. No rabbit population around us for the last few years so the callers don’t bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

It's full of foxes where I am. I've shot 9 on a four acre field since Christmas. No sign of numbers dropping either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Gotten a good few in past month.
    Last night we spotted 4 but not one woukd come to the call. Spotted a big black cat too. Looked abnormally large for a common house cat.
    Anyway despite heavy snow we walked on up the hills and spotted a ewe with two newborn lambs and to the right about 40 yards a dog fox. Wind changed and he caught scent of us and bolted up the hill very fast.
    Called the farmer to keep and eye on the lambs because the weather just got too bad. First night in a long time we blanked. But tomoro is another night. Spotted 7 in one field in 15 mins last week and we shot 3 of them. All dogs. Must be a vixen around in Heat as we seen 4 in that field last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I never seen as many foxes about as this year. Friend of mine lamps 4 or 5 nights a week for am hour and a half a night. Does a 5k radius of his houses cannot keep foxes out. Has nearly 200 shot in the last few months. Got 39 last week. All got in the same 5 k radius

Any tips for controlling foxs this time of year. As in calling etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

ridiculous amount still around no matter how many i shoot they are still coming, same started using bait pipes very effective on places with high numbers of foxes passing threw.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Hours tramping the fields on the lookout for a fox, none to be seen. Rock up at work, one sits looking at you for ten minutes while you're having a conversation with the lads. Bold as brass!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mocking you. 😆 Knows he is safe. Think he is actually smiling.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

use a water pipe with holes drilled around the bottom tie it off to a fence poll then,

As in a 4" orange wavin pipe. Do you block the end of the pipe with something.

Post edited by minktrapper on

Have you tried this sort of bait station JR ? As in half burying a 4" pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I haven't used it myself.

Friend of mine has used it and is happy with the results.

He finds it particularly good at this time of year with new "teenage" foxes about that wouldn't be too wise yet.

your standard drainage pipe lad, i cut a 45 degree at the bottom so i can put into the ground don't put it down to fare be a balls trying to get it out make sure you drill holes to let the scent out.

I suppose you could drive it down with a hammer as long as the soil is damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Similar to the old idea of a bucket hanging off the ground with holes in the bottom, and bit of meat/roadkill inside with lid on. Great for drawing fox's into an area. Works great, especially if you intend to snare them.

Small little scrub, or fairy ring, would be an ideal location to set one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Would the flies not have a go at the meat this time of year.

Advertisement