Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Carbon taxes will be the least of our worries sooner or later, I mean do you really think we can go on consuming as we are? Do you not think we need to slow everything down and live differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Cushtie

That's probably the nub of it there really. It will probably be when we reach the tipping point of over population and the destruction of the planet that goes with it, that mother earth will say "off with ye Humans".

No amount of taxing the average Joe is going to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its nothing personal, but the product you mention is obviously complete fiction, so its not an option people can use to be more environmentally friendly, which was what you were suggesting.

The whole "green" marketplace is full of fiction, misinformation and conmen, like that bunch at 4Ocean, just making profits while people think they are being environmental friendly supporting them.

I care for the environment, but I also hate the missi9nformation that's talked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

That's ireland, anyway the population of ireland has actually increased since the 60s .

Anyway its the bigger picture ,the overall global population that worries me.

God you're sad.

Ingredients

Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Minerals Salts.

The mineral salts are Sodium Chloride (NaCL).

Contents: 125g

They sell it in Dunnes.

This is completely irrelevant and I shouldn't be responding to it. I mean Climate Change isn't real because Eamon Ryan drives a diesel, this is the level of argument you're getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why is it misinformation and fiction? Because you disagree with it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And our footprint has gone through the roof, and our intensive farming is taking its told on land and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's very little farming compared to 30 years ago,every field was either a crop or livestock, now you could drive for an hour and see neither, Are you agoraphobic?

can you show me a non urban route where I can drive for an hour and not see any livestock? I'll settle for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So any solutions or is it just no taxes, no inconvenience that you want?

• Advertisement

Well I asked if it was that product at the start..

Its normal soap, with Olive Oil as the Oil, it is vegan etc, and a good environmental choice. Its not made "entirely from olive oil".

I have used it in the past. We live in a very rural location and I have to be careful about any "bathroom" product so there are minimal chemicals being discharged into the reeds that clean our water. There are so many "pretend" environmental products on the market you must do the research to try and get to the truth, we have been caught out several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads... Are you two having an argument about soap.

My point is that there is too much misinformation about "Green Products", with far too many claims of green credentials. Pushing something as 100% made from Olive oil suggests its manufacture only uses Olive Oil, when in fact making the the soap uses caustic soda and other chemicals.

So many examples like the 4Ocean bracelets, the Ecotricity "diamonds for air", or indeed the soap.

@SlowBlowin

Chemicially soap is made of a reaction between a fat and lye. Anything else added is for colour or smell.

You can make it really cheaply in your own kitchen using a fat (oil or lard) and caustic soda (what lye is sold as in the shop).

Very doable and cheap to make @Thelonious Monk

Soap, by definition, is fat or oil mixed with an alkali. The oil is from an animal or plant, while the alkali is a chemical called lye. In bar soapmaking, the lye is sodium hydroxide. Liquid soap requires potassium hydroxide. 

When oil and lye are combined and heated, the result is soap. This chemical reaction is called saponification. Without lye, saponification isn’t possible, so lye is necessary to create soap.

I was just saying you can avoid palm oil if you try, that soap contains none - can we leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

When all the fat people start falling off ye can make it out of them ala Fight Club.

@Thelonious Monk I understand that but I think @SlowBlowin has a good point about greenwashing worth addressing. Consumerism is full of fashionable keywords that reel people into buying products that are still environmentally questionable, bad for you and/or from half way round the world. However there are often other questions that should be asked.

Is it local/irish?

Is it organic? (At least that’s certifiable)

Is it heavily processed? What are the other ingredients?

Is it packaged?

Can you make it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The land is under threat be cause of high intensity farm practices depleting the soil of nutrients. The human race is destined to fail by our own hand. Not to worry the earth will recover until the sun fries it in about 500,000 years time.

^ The whole "Local" thing can be a minefield at times too though. There is a boardsie living in Germany who was for awhile buying "Local" North Sea Prawns. Caught in Germany. So he thought he was supporting local business - and being environmentally friendly.

Turns out what happens - and no law forces the manufacturer to mention this anywhere on the packaging - is they do indeed catch the prawns in the German Sea. Then they put them all in freezer trucks - drive them all the way to Morocco to be shelled by cheap labour - then drive them all the way back to the packaging plant in Germany.

Since they are caught and packaged locally - they qualified for the law to claim to be local.

I suppose Ireland is significantly less prone to that though of course which is good. But since hearing that story I have felt myself intensely suspicious of any marketing terminology that claims or implies environment friendliness as a whole. I guess disillusioned is the word.

Then I think of things like how in recent years we separate our rubbish into plastics and biological and general and this all sounds really good too. And "bag for life" things to reduce pollution of plastic. But then you learn about what goes into making the bags for life and how much you have to use one for it to actually offset the impact of normal plastic bags - or you hear about the environmental impact of separating waste* and processing it - and it all just seems less positive than you though. Maybe even worse - I dunno. Just disillusioned again.

I don't have the science in this particular area to know what seemingly positive environmental things we do are actually positive and which do little at all - or in fact even make things worse - but I can understand how people become disillusioned and lost in the whole subject and throw their hands up and give up. I mean I would consider myself quite science literate - well above average - and I still feel lost and disillusioned with the whole subject.

And then there is innocent ignorance and well meaning ignorance too. For example when separating our plastic we are meant to put it in the bin "clean". The way I do this is I let the plastic build up and when I have a load of finished with dirty diswater I throw it all in and clean it out. But in other peoples houses I have seen them run the hot tap on full blast and clean all their plastics under it for the bin. I suspect strongly the environmental impact of the quantity of heater water they are wasting down the drain while they do this massively outweighs the benefits of any recycling they are doing. And they simply do not realise it. They are thinking "recycle recycle - lets all be environmental" and they are just making it worse with their heart firmly in the right place the whole time.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYsFK6ZiZRs&ab_channel=It%27sOkayToBeSmart

Yeah I agree, for e.g. I don't think there really is such thing as sustainable clothing. Go and get second hand stuff if you're really worried, there's probably enough clothes in Ireland right now to do us for decades, if we really wanted.

The choice of Irish veg is very poor though, yesterday I couldn't even find Irish onions in Super Valu, the red onions were from New Zealand ffs.

Our own Government is guilty of it too, "Origin Green" is absolute bullsh*t, good article on it here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/environmental-group-calls-origin-green-a-sham-1.3244507

• Advertisement

I think it's called The Connemara Seafood Co, and they have on the packaging for prawns "produced in IRELAND" of course if you look at the fine print they actually come from places like Honduras and Indonesia, where prawn farms are wreaking havoc on the environment. That is just nasty on their part, trying to con people like that, it should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Authoritarian Governments don't have the greatest history in caring for the environment either.

@Thelonious Monk @[Deleted User] Totally agree. Seafood is really difficult. I’ve totally cut out farmed fish because I can’t see how that can be sustainable. Farmed oysters and mussels are good though and I can get local whole crab. But there is some ridiculous legislation like in Ireland diving for scallops is illegal (legal in Scotland) but dredging is fine 🙄. Restrictions on line fishing (with a rod i mean not dead line fishing) to tiny amounts wheras net fishing is fine ( with quota’s). Line caught fish sold in France gets a premium. It’s not easy work but there is no bye-catch. Anyway sorry rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got the solution for ya OP

@Thelonious Monk Second hand clothes and there is loads of them. Natural materials maybe ? Wool is ok / organic cotton (so expensive / prohibitivly ) H&M are swedish. They seem to make an effort. I ordered some stuff from them over lockdown. Any suggestions welcome on this one.

I discovered neighbourfood over lockdown. It’s good where I am, can be expensive but if you stick to the basics you can get a lot of Irish and organic food. Might be worth looking into. I find it handy.

Origin green is Greenwashing for sure.

Yeah see the problem with stop buying things and reuse, when it comes to things like clothes, is that it is not good for the economy therefore our spineless leaders will never launch campaign to do these kind of things. The world that has been created for us in a relatively short space of time is crazy, all from rich people trying to get richer and pushing unlimited amounts of crap upon us.

I go out of my way to catch fish and wild rabbit when and where I can. The only way I can 100% be sure I am eating local - is to catch the damn stuff myself. I am looking forward to a current plan to go bow hunting in the US with someone who has offered to take care of me over there. Meat you shot yourself over an open fire - I can't wait to experience it. I wish I could hunt more in Ireland.

I grow my own veg and herbs too where possible in our climate. I try to be as natural as I can when doing so too. I know which vegetables I can piss on and which ones need me to instead buy something mass produced for a shop. But if I have to buy something from tropical climates because it is not available here I do not lose too much sleep over that either.

When I do buy meat I try to do it as ethically as possible and source it from the best sources - and I have a good relationship with my butcher in that regard.

So I would say I am and am not concerned to the OP. I am concerned enough to go with best practices where I can make sense of it. But I am not at the level where I sit precluding meat from my diet because of the impact meat has overall on the environment - or avoiding pineapples and avocados and a host of other fruit and veg because of air miles to import.

But over all my concern has to battle the dissilusionment I am constantly made to feel by an industry and a science that often seem to not be delivering - or delivering the exact opposite - of what the environmentally minded consumer might have thought they were. From "Local" food to "single stream recylcling" to "bags for life" and much more - I am often left feeling like things I thought were doing good might actually be doing very little - perhaps nothing at all - or even making things actually worse. And I am relatively science literate so how the average person on the street is meant to cope with it all I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No, I'm not concerned. The Earth changes all the time, manmade or not. Another thousand years or so the human race will be mostly gone and things will reset.

Crop failures like this are going to become more and more common, I was reading about crops being destroyed in Sicily and Malta yesterday from extreme heat. Will widespread crop failures in Europe be required before we actually act? How bad will it be in 10 years if heat and drought records keep being broken?

• Advertisement
Advertisement