Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords selling up - Rents rising

• 10-08-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Rents rising as landlords sell to cash in on property price boom - Independent.ie

I'm not a landlord but I think the attitude towards landlords in the past 20 years has been particularly unfair. Just mention landlord on social media and the lynch mob will descend in droves.

Politicians pushing populist laws against landlords and making it a less and less attractive investment vehicle.

Tenants rights have been boosted dramatically in the past decade, a lot of the commentary was the bring more professionalism to the industry but there has been no reciprocal strengthening of landlord rights.

Now, surprise, surprise, there are very few rental properties available and rents are soaring, homelessness is on the rise again.

The response seems to be surprise pikachu face.

Have we seen an irreversible change in the Irish market, where the small landlord is gone and replaced by large faceless organisations for good?

I've rented in the past, I believe it's an important part of the housing eco system, I think we've really shot ourselves in the foot here.

I'm curious to hear what other think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Any landlords I know have sold now.

I was seriously looking into buying to let for a couple of years and did major homework.

The risk was massive and the reward was not.

So I didnt go ahead. I honestly dont understand why anyone would become a landlord now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irishhombre

the tax on rental income is crazy is it not, does it even pay to be a landlord now a days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No.

A lot of accidental landlords over the last decade getting out now that the can recoup what they spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I was a landlord & sold up last year.

There was so many factors for me making my decision but mostly due to the uncertainty regarding legislation & if I got a tenant that decided not to pay I could be left footing the bill for god knows how long which was not something I could ever afford to do. You rightly point out that the perception that landlords are the scum of the earth. You will see all over the media and comments on sites & discussion channels what the view of landlords is. It is justified in some circumstances but not all. I could tell you some horror tenant stories too.

Maybe professional landlords are the way to go but I think they are dictating the price of rents as they can afford to leave units empty unless they get the price they want. I would be concerned for the long term effect that will have on the market here.

In general any small time landlord is crazy to stay in the game, especially if they have to mortgage the property. For me it was certainly a headache I no longer needed & so glad to be free at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bernard12

A zero sum game, landlords selling homes to families who use it as PPR is a great outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

We have an apartment bought on a tracker back in 2006, been renting for the last 5 years and even with the interest rate as low as ours is we are barely breaking even. Between high taxation, paying the PRTB and a lack of government policy that is remotely fair for small landlords means we are cashing in our chips after our current tenant.

Ive been asked by multiple people to rent as its in good location, but we feel the risk is not worth it as we have been lucky to have good tenants up to this point but as people point out one bad tenant and we are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not really.

Just as an example. Last year a friend had a large 4 bed house, rented to 2 couples and 2 single people.

One couple got pregnant so decided to move out and rent a place of their own.

My friend decided to sell so gave everyone their notice to move out.

A young couple bought the house.

Now I assume they will start a family themselves eventually, but for now thats 6 out and 2 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So you are breaking even and having your property paid in full for you resulting in your owning the property when all is said and done.

Seems like a good deal no ?

Often I think people seem to think you have to make massive margins to come out ahead. There is tenants there banking a large asset for you...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

We are accidental landlords and have to weigh up the potential of risk associated with potential delinquent renters along with a government that is doing very little to protect us. By saying barely break even we are still paying in money after tax and upkeep along with having been in negative equity for a long time.

There is no incentive for us to take a chance that we will be lucky with tenants indefinitely. There is some equity to be taken out that we can invest in our own home and cut our Large Asset free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Small landlords selling, while a factor in our current predicament, are not the main reason for rising rents.

The main reason for rising housing costs for both renters and buyers, is overall lack of supply.

That said, have significant sympathy for some small landlords and would absolutely sell if I were one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Given the choice, the two couples and 2 singles would rather not be living cheek by jowl. But there isn't any choice, and even less choice with every passing week. I think once restrictions are fully lifted people will review where they are headed in life like they did with careers and just emigrate.

House-shares might be fun in your 20's but like the Danny Glover quote you're too old for this sh1t beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I’m delighted private individual landlords are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nor for learning how to speak apparently.

I actually share your sentiment. I think landlordism in Ireland should now be left to large scale investors who run it like a business with properties in large urban markets, prompt increases, higher set rents and terminations based only on business considerations. What’s not to like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Certainly a sharp contrast to the predictions of a collapse in rental prices as a result of the pandemic. We will see elevated rental and property prices until the Government significantly intervenes in the market and dramatically increases supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

And for those of us who want to invest in resi property we can do it via REITs and be diversified. Institutional landlords are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Unfortunately they don't accurately track the market, they provide a good yield but no capital appreciation

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Looks to me that the share price has gone up 50% in the last five years in IRES

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭markw7

Good news if you want to buy. Where are these on the market though, doesn't seem to be a lot of stock appearing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The council are purchasing many of them, especially in apartment developments. Some aren't even appearing on the market with owners approaching the council directly, that's certainly the case with DCC anyway.

Crazy situation whereby the Government is essentially competing with first time buyers rather than actually increasing the overall availability of housing stock. Such disfunction.

• Advertisement

I bought a house last year.

Before i had even moved moved into or even started the work on the house i got an offer through the EA i bought it from for way more than id paid for it from an unnamed entity.

I was cheeky and asked for even more. They said yes.

So I made just shy of €100k for doing nothing.

I found out later that it was the council who bought it.

I see in the news today SF first order of business when they get into government will be to ban evictions if a landlord wants to sell.

Effectively using a landlords money to make them work for them for the rest of their lives.

You invest money in a house. Rent it out. You cant sell it when you want to. You cant raise the rent.

So what will be being a small landlord look like from now on?

So you are getting a government job that you cant quit, paying high taxes for it even if you make a loss, and they will be using your money to give you this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭markw7

Jesus that's a feckin joke if they're at that craic. It's like they want to drive the prices up even more and have the taxpayer foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭enricoh

A nice touch! They spend money like water. I seen on the news last night a wooden air filter installation on the main street in cork, the council are renting if for e350k a year! They may rent out more of them.

Let's hope the multinationals money never dries up and the squandering can last forever!

Never stopped them before.

As with all their other legislation any person who challenges it would be ruined.

Bot financially if they lost, even if they didnt lose they couldnt afford to be dragged on for 10 years through all the different courts.

And then socially with the treatment they would be bound to be given by the media.

Just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SF would send the REITs for the exit too so that option won't save property investors either

I think property investors are gone. Any left just havent had a vacancy yet. But I think any left will hit the exit as soon as they get the chance.

And they are probably better off out of the business altogether at this point anyway. And certainly better off getting out before they get locked into renting their property forever.

Its what all this government tampering is doing to normal renters is the problem. Not one intervention they have made has not resulted in even higher rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

The President won't sign legislation if it's unconstitutional. Doesn't need to go anywhere near the courts. It's not as if SF can/would try to do this quietly.

• Advertisement

Like rent caps and RPZs.

Of course he will.

They will just put a 4 year time limit on it and then just extend the time limit forever.

Advertisement