Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AliExpress and Irish Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

There is no need. Irish customs released it. I find it amusing that you have a private profile. I can not verify who you claim to be. Not that I will be giving out my IBAN. Now if aliexpress would just clarify why labelling is missing the IOSS and why vat is not displayed on the labels when collected you would help the many rather than the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mega-whoosh there. 😊 Did you not see the quotation marks around my post?

Not your ornery onager

Ups, The days of correct punctuation are leaving me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It does not matter which AliExpress seller it is, the payment goes through the AliExpress payment system and VAT is deducted at source in all cases when the destination is the Republic of Ireland.

So by the laws of deduction, Irish customs should allow through AliExpress packages regardless of what's on the package.

They have got their money. Nothing else to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Criminal gangs furiously printing out AliExpress labels just in case you ever get a job in customs.

Even Amazon packages are randomly checked. You can't just let everything through, just because.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sometimes i get parcels i ordered on aliexpress and all the text is worn out from it that you can hardly even read the address much less anything else on it.

I just stopped ordering from them as I dont have the time to be dealing with an post.

Here's the correspondence I had with AliExpress today.

AliExpress: May I know if you provide the invoice to the post office to prevent additional fees for the parcel ?

Me: Do you need the receipt of payment to Irish customs?

AliExpress: May I know if you already paid to them ?

Me: Yes, They just said if you don't pay, you wont get the item. It was an email and you couldn't reply to the email.

AliExpress: In that case, please provide to them the invoice of the order so they will not be charging you in the parcel since it was already paid in the order.

Me: The only option in the email was to pay by credit card or PayPal. There was nowhere to make a case for not paying.

AliExpress: I understand.

Me: I already paid the Irish customs fees because at the time I wasn't aware that I paid VAT already on the AliExpress site.

AliExpress: I understand. In case you were charged again, please keep the invoice and submit it here to get refund of it.Please note administration fee pay to logistics provider cannot be refunded in this case.

Me: With Irish customs once they make a decision, there is no way of trying to convince them that the extra payment is not required.

AliExpress: I understand. May I have the official receipt so I can help you submit it to the team to get refund for the fee

Me: Will I send a picture of the PayPal invoice?

AliExpress: Sure please

Me: Ok give me a second to take a screenshot.

AliExpress: Thank you.

Me: Is that all I need to do for now for this to be processed?

AliExpress: May I ask for your contact email, please?

Me: ********@yahoo.co.uk

AliExpress: Thank you. To help you in this case, I will escalate your case for further checking and will update you status through email within 2 working days' For this case please do kindly wait and monitor your account page for you to have case resolution update. :)

Me: Thank you very much for your help AliExpress

AliExpress: You're most welcome. :) I know how much you value your hard-earned money and we are both on the same page that we wanted to get your money back. Nothing to worry about, we will keep our eyes and we will take care of this case for you here. We will make sure that this case will be properly handled for you.♥ Aside from this, is there anything else I can assist you with today? I just want to make sure you are satisfied and fulfilled with the service I have given to you today.

Me: One quick question. Is this going to be the case with all items I order from AliExpress in the future? I will be charged twice for VAT and will have to resolve it every time?

AliExpress: In the case that you already paid the VAT fee in the order in AliExpress, you will just need to download invoice of the order to provide it to customs to prevent from being charge for the parcel

Me: But here is the reply I got from Irish Post today.

Irish Post: Good afternoon, Custom Charges were applied by Irish Revenue based on the electronic data submitted by the sender.  You will need to contact the sender/sending retailer directly regarding any queries concerning VAT paid at source/point of purchase. 

AliExpress:  In that case, seller must provide the IOSS number once you are being requested to contact the seller to confirm the order. This is to ensure that the goods can then be released for free circulation and delivered to you without being charged with VAT or any additional handling fees at the customs.

Me: Very complicated way of buying stuff from AliExpress all of a sudden.

AliExpress: I understand and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We are still working for more EU New Vat policy in the platform. Please do not worry system enhancement will bring better service.

Me: Ill wait in anticipation for the outcome of this particular case. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Is it the case that AnPost will still charge a handling fee of 3.50 when they sort out the VAT issues with Aliexpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭head82

Having a similar issue as OP regards An Post withholding package until VAT is paid. I've already forwarded them the invoice stating VAT was paid at point of purchase. Received email this morning from An Post: "Good Morning, this item is awaiting a customs payment. A notification was sent to you on the 5 August".

Not even an acknowledgement of having received copy of invoice. The overall value of package is only around €3.50 so seems hardly worth paying An Post their €3.50 handling fee plus 60c VAT (which I've already pre-paid).

Probably best to let them return it to seller and I can claim a refund for non-receipt of goods. Not in Aliexpress's best interest if this becomes commonplace and something that could easily be rectified by proper display of VAT paid on packaging label.

I'll pursue the case with An Post but I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Looks like a lot more hassle than I have the patience for! My postman will be happy with these new rules!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The seller has to put the IOSS number on it to show that VAT has paid. That’s all Customs are interested in. If the seller isn’t doing that, its not Custom’s or An Post’s problem.

They have already got their money by default if it is AliExpress.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have to prove that with the IOSS number, otherwise anyone fakes an AliExpress label and sends it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's doesn't matter a toss if they have not been advised and the item is not properly labelled. AliExpress sellers are messing up, plain and simple.

Still trying to find out if the IOSS is provided by aliexpress as they are collecting the vat. Or is each merchant supposed to have their own IOSS.

see below current correspondence with a seller

Buyer

do you know what is your IOSS number. Does alixpress give it to you?

Seller

Yes. Now there is IOSS. There are stickers on the package

It is unified by AliExpress. It was not available before.

And now the packaging needs to be certified by the EU responsible person C E

These are all things that need to be pasted on the packaging of the articles inside.

Buyer

This is the only label on my package. I do not see IOSS number

(pic supplied)

Seller

I haven't sent the product to iOS when I sent it to you.

Buyer

I am just trying to find out what I need to ask sellers in future. 

Buyer

So you need to put the IOSS number on the package and you did not?

Seller

You need to ask the EU

IOSS has not been provided AliExpress before. Now every Merchant should have it.

Buyer

so does every merchant have a different IOSS number

Seller

right

still none the wiser

Post edited by phester28 on

Did An Post acknowledge your email with invoice and how long did it take to release the package after?

What is the email address for An Post that you used?

with tens of thousands of sellers on Aliexpress sending and labelling items this could be a mess for a very long time / forever?

although VAT collection has been going on for items going to Australia where I occasionally send gifts and never had an issue there.

hopefully it's just early day issues that will be sorted out....

Yes I got an email from an post about the package. but there is no public info on how to appeal.

Fast forward an hour on hold with an post only to be told that you have to email: ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

I believe its the seller is not or is trying to, not register goods as vat paid. (even when vat is collected) they then can pocket the money.

Otherwise why would a seller not put the IOSS number on a package, if they had it and vat was collected?

the payments are collected by Aliexpress, not the seller

Aliexpress hand over the ex-vat amount to the seller after an escrow period.

As said Aliexpress have been running the pre-paid VAT collection system like this with Australia (and possibly other countries) for a good while (2 years+) so I doubt they would still be doing it with them if Aliexpress was keeping the VAT money

I haven't seen any IOSS number yet on anyone's package (please post if the case) so it could be a number of factors - e.g. communication to the sellers about the system etc who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Just got caught with first VAT paid aliexpress package, annoyingly another 7 on the way all VAT paid, VAT invoiced.

An Posts fairlt unhelpful response

"Custom Charges were applied by Irish Revenue based on the electronic data submitted by the sender. 

You will need to contact the sender/sending retailer directly regarding any queries concerning VAT paid at source/point of purchase."

Sender gave me an IOSS number that appears to be a generic Aliexpress one.

Anyone made any headway with one of these disputes?

I received the exact same email from An Post this morning regarding my own little ongoing dispute with them. I haven't requested an IOSS number from the seller as I've more or less resigned myself to not getting anywhere with An Post. Although phester28 managed to get his package released by merely submitting the invoice.

If submitting your IOSS number does result in getting your package released, let us know.

• Advertisement

I think this is Joe Duffy territory.

The guys at An Post won't give an inch as they don't regard their clients as customers.

It does not matter one iota that the tax has already been paid.

Irish customs are already reaping in more VAT from parcels since July 1st than they ever could have dreamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

What do you reckon Joe Duffy is going to resolve?

An Post are telling you that Customs Charges are based on the electronic information supplied by the seller when the package is being posted. AliExpress are telling that their sellers will need to include the Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number of AliExpress in their import declaration into EU.

Ebay say the same thing on the sellers page. "Sellers should include eBay's IOSS as part of the export pre-notification documentation provided to carriers. If eBay's IOSS is not provided correctly, then buyers may be asked to pay VAT a second time".

It all comes back to the seller not doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Irish customs are doing their job, if something doesn't have the correct paperwork then they will charge the taxes and duties due.

It's Aliexpress and their sellers that are messing up the process, but since they won't refund the processing fees they don't really care if the buyer has to pay.

How is this supposed to work - I presume that it's supposed to be electronic linked to the item number / tracking number?

(as opposed to just listing an IOSS number on the packet)

I agree with you that all this hassle could be avoided if AliExpress and their sellers got their act together and properly labelled their packages. And although they may not care about customers having to pay processing fees, not every customer is prepared to pay An Post these fees.. especially on low value items.

As a result, these items will be returned and a refund given. If this return/refund escalates, they will be forced to care and hopefully up their game when it comes to labelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I would presume this is EU wide so the refunds wouldn't be long adding up.

Here are details on the IOSS system

To me, it's not exactly clearly specified what should be on a label item - the company IOSS number yes it seems but not a lot about if the VAT breakdown should be on it etc - even in more detailed documents in other links from the page

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/ioss_en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're directing your displeasure at the wrong people. It is all down to the seller.

Aliexpress said to pay it and they will refund it.

I clarified repeatedly that this would include an posts €3.50 collection fee, yes,yes.

Paid it then recontacted aliexpress ... it took about 7 agents and multiple disconnections due to mysterious 'network problems' to get as far as 'here is your escalation number - wait for an email'😶

• Advertisement

Call me cynical but I think they were dragging it out to make it not worth my while and I won't be surprised if they refund the vat portion without the fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement