Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AliExpress and Irish Tax

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If the VAT is 26 cents then it's hardly superior quality electrical goods. So it's cheap tat.

I never said all Chinese goods are tat - far from it. The €1.11 plus p&p, however, is not buying quality electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

There you go again, making your "tat" assumptions.

I ordered a bag of 8 Schottky diodes for €1.99 from China. As good as anything sold in the EU.

That's where the EU parts companies probably source them in the first place and then charge 10 times the price.

I saved myself a bundle and cost an EU distributer about €15 in lost sales.

Here's another good example of why its a good idea to look further afield for the stuff you need.

You need a nice little basic radio for travelling or camping. Multi band radio with excellent audio. Try that German guy on eBay. It's only €85.

Well the same radio is on AliExpress for €17 all in. Good to shop around. Is it still tat if it's €17 from China instead of €85 from Germany?

(This is as an example to further my point only, I have no affiliation with AliExpress whatsoever)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

An post and revenue are seriously clamping down now. If there is no CN22 declaration on the goods its getting sent back to wherecots come from. I've had last 5 or 5 fasttech orders sent back.

Aliexpress seems to be coming through, but VAT is paid at source

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

My husband got an email from 'An Post' today saying he had to pay tax on a parcel. My husband never ordered anything and has never given his email address to 'An Post'! around the same time I got a recorded message on my mobile from 'Irish Duty and Tax' saying I have to pay....something.....I didn't wait for the end of the recorded message as I hung up. I sometimes order stuff online but everything has been paid so I won't even listen to these calls.

You'll never get an email from an post. You'll get a letter giving you a tracking number and an email to send proof of purchase copy.

Never an email.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

An post do send emails to request due tax, many people - me included - have gotten such emails in the last few months.

That's interesting, I've never received one. To put in context, I receive up to 3 parcels a week that would require payment over the last 8 years and never received an email

Perhaps it's mail centre specific

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's not center specific. It's dictated by the means available to them. An Post's website states you can receive a notification via post/SMS/email from An Post. In other words, they simply don't have your email details with the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We know it was a scam, the internet is awash with this sort of tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

It depends on if an email or phone was provided as part of the customs information. If not then you'd just get a letter in the door, with the same information. An Post have specifically stopped including links in the customs emails as a result of all the scams. There are no "click here to pay" in a legit email, just a reference code for you to enter on the an post website, or at a post office.

• Advertisement

Good post @davetherave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement