Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an argument to be made for increasing police firm-handedness in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Even when the government decided to get tough on burglaries and changed the sentencing for those, the Judges still used what wiggle room they had to hand out light sentences.

The Judges will do it again and again, and the issue with any governmental changing here is that while they might intend for the lighter sentences to just apply to those who this is a first offence or who have little chance of ever reoffending those light guidelines will get applied to every piece of **** with a sob story.

You'd need to remove all the wiggle room out of sentencing so judges couldn't do it, and hopefully the EU doesn't take offence over the "independence of the courts"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its what was decided in Dublin that got us into the socio economic shitter in the first place, but you keep vibing in your liberal heartland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Could your really do that to anyone force them to live in longford ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Imagine if all the irish that left the island came back

In perspective of the economic burden, there's just one (perhaps cynical) question that demands clarification.

A young Sabrina meets a young Anto.

They hatch a scheme against the society that exhibits contempt for the "street wise" ways.

Have 12 kids ASAP, start cashing the welfare checks whilst flipping the bird to "the man", aka the hard working folk who pay their taxes and thus the income and living expenses for Sabrina, Anto and their 12 kids.

Is that what it comes down to?

It's more than just a question of economics, but a division of cultures?

I'm genuinely curious, what is the deal with having so many kids at such a young age with zero financial security?

A dude said to me one time, "it's trendy, having kids. Get yourself a bunch of kids and join our social sub-elite".

Is it?

lol - really, it's just a trend, like having a lot of friends on facebook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

We're the ones generating most of the economic activity so that the rest of you can live on your Government "economic transfers". Get over yourself.

Tomás, plz. 😉

Fed up listening to people moaning about this place when they either don't live here or else wouldn't have money in their pockets or something to do during the day if they hadn't moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If the authorities don't do something about the issue then Dublin is going to end up some US cities with a hollowed out core. Middle classes will shop in places like Dundrum and Kildare Village where private security keep scumbags at bay. Work from home means the same types of law abiding people will remain scarce in town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How about people who don't like the place and most certainly don't live there (thank fook), but are still able to have money in their pockets and something to do during the day? I can think of about 31 other counties that may have something to do that isn't in Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

What on earth are you babbling about ?

Scum will commit and re commit crime no matter what. The lawyers will get paid regardless of the result ,whether they get their client off or the client gets the book thrown at him . There will always be a never ending conveyor belt of new criminals going before the court because that is what the social welfare and large elements of the “wurking” class do and actually take pride in it

a core reason why the scum get off convictions is often to do with Garda incompetence in how they collected and retained evidence - we can’t be having kangaroo courts . Then you got the cases struck out because the prosecuting Gardai failed to attend the court matter

The lock them up brigade, simplistically ignore on huge problem (hard disagree with them but ) … lack of prisons and detention centres . Lock them up where ?

Personally, I’m for brining them into the woods or up the mountain and put them out of their misery- they won’t be missed and , shure, Sharon will get more welfare payments if Anto is gone, sure she was already claiming “single mother payments anyway . Some of them ought to prevented from breeding

America lock them up for the little of things In fact it’s big big business getting into the prison ownership game. Does little to improve the crime stats

McDowell , when he was Minister wanted to build a big prison at Thornton Hall, everyone lost their **** and it didn’t go ahead

While there are separation of powers issues between the legislature and the Judiciary, it’s for the legislature to determine what level of punishment is available to a court to dish out , whether it should be mandatory or not …

There definitely needs to be more cops on the street. We can turn a blind eye to the odd cop cracking the heads of some scum etc and they don’t fear them … Parents should be made accountable (not criminal sanctions) for their failures snd negligence as parents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I personally find the Gardai delightful to deal with and would not want them to change.

Having had my fair share of police “rough handling” back home I can attest that tougher measures don’t necessarily make a difference. The only difference is that it makes you run when you see the police approach, but it does not deter anyone from attacking others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

These types of threads always crack me up, the usual suspects sitting around destroying themselves on to their computers about scumbags who need wiping out when they would **** their pants if they had to have a conversation with someone from the inner city if they talked to them in real life.

Fetishizing garda violence for some reason? Is there a limit of the crimes that could get you a slap from the cops? Don't see them going around slapping the bankers who fucked this country?

Three strikes for what kind of crimes though ?

There's no room in prisons and it costs money to keep people there, that's not a priority, priority is to get a fine, money to the state, this is also why we have the lower courts to deal with petti stuff, non criminal stuff like not paying fine, not paying TV License, no nct, tax etc, a lot of this is big revenue to the state, the solicitors, judges, it's a gravy train that's never going to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To Hell or to Longford!

If they don't live here, their opinions aren't worth the bandwidth they waste.

There won't be any shops in any town or city centres anywhere in Europe within a few years. This is not just a Dublin issue. The notion of town centres being retail centres is already passé, and it won't be long before online retail boots physical retail almost out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Personally I'd love to see how all these Inner City/ Finglas / Tallaght 'hard men' would fare in Rio's favelas, the back streets of Chicago or even over in Liverpool, Manchester or Glasgow's rougher parts.

Being a thug or gangster and terrorising relatively gentle well mannered little Ireland is one thing, they'd be out of their depth in minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You missed the point, you said "Fed up listening to people moaning about this place [b]when they either don't live here or else wouldn't have money in their pockets or something to do during the day if they hadn't moved here.[/b]" I was pointing out that you can have money in your pocket and something to do during the day outside Dublin. And just because someone doesn't live there doesn't preclude them from having an opinion. Does the same logic apply to opinions on drugs you haven't tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

why do dubs get so precious about any criticism? it smacks of insecurity

hundreds of thousands of culchies live in dublin, i dont get why dubs cant accept that, its so weird how they deny how they have been outcompeted for jobs and houses all over dublin by culchies, have been in the fdi/tech sector in dublin and its way more culchies than dubs., same with the big 4. professionally middle class culchies contribute a huge amount economically to dublin, the city would be goosed if it had to rely on the natives (no offence) and there would be huge gaps in the labour market

seems so odd how dubs think there are only culchies in a few pockets of dublin, they are literally everywhere...probably your boss

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's hard to know what the answer is. One thing for sure, for anyone frequently around town, is that the city center has been really badly exposed through the lock downs.

Everyone knew there were serious issues around addiction and low level antisocial behaviour under the surface but it was kind of hidden to an extent when more people were around.

I walked between Mary Street and Abbey St the other day around 5pm and it was genuinely uncomfortable with random screaming fights, addicts and drunks being the majority around. I didn't see any actual scraps myself but it was easy to see you wouldn't have to wait long.

But mostly the impression I got is in terms of business, tourism or just shopping the northside is not a viable proposition at the moment.

I don't know about the southside but the northside is a pretty lost place atm.

Definitely needs to be more police but the whole area needs a lot more than that. Really gone down the tubes in the last couple of years.

I found the state of the place generally quite worrying and disconcerting. And it's not just the clientel hanging around. The place was absolutely manky and depressing. The run down buildings and dereliction don't help though it's always been that way.

So yeah more police with more powers but much more than that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The answer, as it almost always is for social problems, is education and job prospects. Unfortunately the former is expensive and the latter is next to impossible to provide for the masses in a globalised world.

Interesting answer.

Perhaps put a limit on lower classes reproducing? (which sounds like an insanely prejudiced thing to say but at this point, certain practicalities have to be confronted with a level head).

For real, it's an issue. Those women just compulsively want to have kids, whether it's so they can claim child support cheques or just cause having kids makes them feel more purposeful, who knows?

Honestly it's like a festering mess.

Then their untamed kids just run rampage and the next generation of criminals and social welfare claimants has come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

^^^^^^^^^^

I do agree with you that the general atmosphere of Dublin city centre has deteriorated a lot since we had the pandemic since 18 months ago. It has been an enormous challenge for the Gardai to try & reduce the level of tension within the city.

I have never travelled in & around the city centre during the pandemic; however when you have seen pictures of large scale trouble going on in our capital city on the news; it does create a lot of tension & anxiety for the city's inhabitants to try & stop it for good so it can become safe again. That also creates more tension across the tourism market as well. Dublin had more popularity with the tourists who were enjoying the city vibes & atmosphere before Covid had put a huge dampner on the place. I just can't understand how it can resume to normality once the country tries to get back to normal when Covid is done & over with.

Could the remainder of the Dublin population who live & work outside of the city centre actually tolerate going it again without getting encountering trouble with other scumbags?

I mean there should a whole series of questions & viable solutions for the Gardai to tackle head on at this point when the general population gets back to normal. With Gardai resources being stretched to the bare minimum while they were working Covid.

How can Dublin City Centre actually survive in that state when they have no viable level of resources to back it up when going into the future?

Thinking about how the issue of historical low income couple and families has been handled:

Build cheap social welfare accommodation cramped together, then crowd them all in on top of each other there.

It's proven to be disastrous to the point where there were initiatives to try and reverse the process.

Ideally I firmly believe everyone has the right to a roof over their head and to live in a safe environment, but teh "bad boy" exploitation culture who take advantage of the situation, claiming everything on offer then partaking in criminal activity and intimidation on the side for additional gain and "status";

Whilst that very type is glorified amongst the "Sabrina" and "Sharon" trash girl youth demographic - cumulatively it's something of a degenerative bubbling cauldron of filth, where the cognitive/productive side to society is left to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a lot social housing only going in to the city center atm but little to no private housing.

If you are going to concentrate poverty in the city center then the inevitable follows. There is no pretence of mixed tenures which is the wrong way to go.

DCC will call these 'homes' but they are ghettos.

Their policy decisions make the social problems in the city center worse and ultimately it drives people away both those who may visit or those who would want to live there.

It's a hollowing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Do they want the kids? Or the increased opportunities having kids bring them?

The greatest indicators of the educational attainment of any child will be the educational attainments of their parent(s) and, rather famously, the amount of books in the house they're raised in (it's a strong indicator of the parental attitude towards learning). If they're raised with no parental, peer or other role-model valuing education, they're unlikely to pay much heed to it themselves.

In a globalised world such as we live in, employment opportunities for the poorly educated are very poor: low skilled, minimum work (e.g. retail, cleaning etc.) is about as much as our society has to offer and when minimum wage employment doesn't offer much of a lifestyle increase over basic welfare entitlements it's easy to see why many turn their nose up at it.

Social housing is next to impossible to get for a young person living at home with their parent(s) (likely to already be in social housing) and the fastest way to bump your position on the waiting list is to have a child as a single parent. Combine that with poor sex education (via religious education and/or poor school attendance due to the afore-mentioned disdain for education) and it's not surprising that many young girls will opt to pop out an otherwise unwanted child as a means of improving their lot in life (€248 a week plus children's allowance and a "free" home are going to sound attractive to a poorly educated 16/17 year old particularly if they're coming from a troubled home-life of abuse, alcohol or drug dependency etc.).

I'm not saying I have the answers but it's easy enough to see how a young girl with poor options in life falls into the trap of creating another generation with similarly poor options and the "obvious" alternatives are either barbaric (refusing to help single young parents via a welfare system / going down the route of enforced sterilisation/abortion etc.) or politically and economically difficult (increasing taxation to fund better social services, supports and education and/or finding a way to provide low-skilled workers with gainful and meaningful employment).

• Advertisement

^^ It's definitely a quandary;

"Problem" of sorts.

I think we need to get The Wolf on it,

Say we go along with that and assume it is fact job skill and work place competency which contributes in no small part to the issue.

I mean I don't think up to leaving cert at least that demographic is deprived of educational opportunities (in fact contrarily, it's compulsory).

But their general sub-culture ethos obviously doesn't place emphasis on schooling, and in my experience some subcultures activity shun it, "education isn't the real world bruh, won't teach you about the means streets", etc.

Just from what I've observed and seen over the years, their emphasis seems to be so overwhelmingly on becoming "street wise" that via their protocol, there's no possible way their developmental state could lend itself to managing anything remotely intellectual.

There's plenty of courses and opportunities to increase ones skill base, especially in a country like Ireland.

In their subcultures there's just something missing "upstairs", some failed rationale - I'm certainly open to being corrected.

But how do you change the developmental ethos of an entire societal class?

Advertisement