Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 11: Hungaroring

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Schumacher was a ruthless so and so who would do anything to win including deliberately taking out an opponent. I can't think of another F1 driver from the past forty years you could describe in similar terms. Hamilton is a whiner and a bad loser - the Arsene Wenger of motorsports, you could say - but a fair sportsman. It's just his lifestyle and his half-assed espousal of certain causes that make him appear unlikeable to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He's pretty full-arsed about some causes that the f1 demographic is less supportive of than the general population. Causes like BLM (if that's one of the causes you were thinking of) are not popular amongst the F1 fans in general. F1 fans tend to be older, white, middle class men so its not terribly surprising that they show more opposition to a cause like that than the general population. But I don't think you could say he shows half-assed support for it. Could you? I'd say he shows full-arsed support for a cause the f1 fans generally oppose.

He's certainty a whinger on the track though, nobody would deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The only person I regularly see as a counter to Schumacher is Senna, as if he was gentleman driver. He literally took people out and Eddie Irvine would tell you about his off track aggression and narrsasism. To be at the top of any sport you have to be super confident. Hamilton has backed it up over the years, but in my humble opinion he hasn't been tested since Rosberg. As an aside, a lot of counter arguments since Silverstone was that Rosberg, apparently Lewis's worst critic said it was a racing incident so therefore it was, last weekend put that to bed as he literally cheered him on and was as bad as any Sky Sports fan boy during the race, I nearly vomitted. I am sure there are some guys here from the Rte days and they would not be as sympathetic. I seen a great meme of Hamilton solo on the grid, saying how the British media see F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So Lewis thinks Fernando went beyond the limit in defending at Hungary and now Max is facing a 10 place grid penalty later in season as a result of being punted off the track by Hamilton and then as a result of Bottas screwing up

The 10 second penalty for Lewis and the 5 place grid penalty for Bottas are incredibly soft if you look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t think he actually thinks that, though. I thought I saw someone show his Instagram story where he said how amazing it was to see Alonso race like that again. He was probably just annoyed at the time.

The penalties are fine from a driver standpoint, they made errors and are being punished in line with similar incidents. The issue is that Red Bull are also being punished for those errors for being collateral damage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To be fair, it was Stroll who caused LeClercs damage, not Bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

But I don't remember Schumacher being so unpopular with the other drivers. Agree with your description of him as ruthless and I think to be fair, Hamilton wouldn't do what Schumi did to Villeneuve or Hill. Yet their seems to be more dislike towards Hamilton than there ever was towards Schumi. I've posted two videos on page 26 of Alonso at the weekend stating that 'Hamilton is always complaining' and the he was also blocking Hamilton for Max!

Here's another from a driver's briefing-Hamilton is complaining about something Vettel done with his steering wheel and Grojean jumps in to attack Hamilton...

Romain Grosjean defends Sebastian Vettel in Driver's Briefing... - YouTube

Sorry yeah, he got 5 place grid penalty tho. Bit of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think Alonso is less popular among his peers than Hamilton is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think 5 is fair enough for Stroll, took out 1 car. Bottas took out Norris, that's 5, took out Perez, should be another 5 and damaged Verstappen, should be 3. So 13 grid place penalty is my calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think that would be very harsh giving the conditions, he made a balls of his braking but the conditions played a role in that too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If I knock down and kill a cyclist in the rain will the judge go easy on me because it was raining? I seriously doubt it. I don’t understand why the conditions should be factored in. These guys are supposed to be the best in the world. Bottas and Stroll should be at the back of the grid at the next race or else not on the grid at all and it should have been the same for Hamilton when he took Max out. The FIA are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd be shocked if conditions wouldn't be used as part of your defense in such a situation. If you were charged, would you seriously not even consider using the conditions as part of your defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I obviously would but I wouldn't expect the judge to entertain it, especially if the cyclist had a high vis and lights etc maybe I'm wrong but imo it's ridiculous that they take rain into consideration when deciding on a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Advertisement