Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT March 2021 Results

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Gamsat21

I wish they'd do it at an earlier date. August is just so late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conry1

I did chem and biology for the leaving cert but before this I hadn’t touched them for 4 years. All of the Chem questions were about organic chemistry so I thought that I wouldn’t be able to answer them, but I read over the questions and I started to treat them as pattern questions rather than actual science questions and that seemed to help a little. As for the physics, I learnt off the logarithm rules because the past 3 GAMSAT have all had them as a question and they’re so difficult to do without a calculator. Finally for biology, it was mainly graphs and bar charts so I didn’t really need any prior info for them. I think the most important thing is to just keep doing problem questions because it’s not really what you know, it’s if you know how to apply it.

Over on the GAMSAT Reddit page, a lot of people said that they think that the courses are just a money racket and are actually outdated at this point. I have some prep materials that I could send you if you wanted? (All acer papers, ozimed , and Des O’Neill)
    Hi there, congrats on your fantastic score! I'm sitting the GAMSAT in September and am also from a NSB so these are great tips to have come across! I'm struggling with prep for S3, as it's been 4 years since studying biology and chem for LC and I have never done physics. I'm really anxious to do well so was originally going to fork out the money for a course, but I'm reconsidering this now having looked at the Reddit page. By any chance could you send me the materials that you have? I could pm you my email address if you don't mind. Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

Did anyone here get an offer from Derry yet? IF so what gamsat score did you have?

hcoben111 wrote: »
    Did anyone here get an offer from Derry yet? IF so what gamsat score did you have?
    I was in the October cohort and only had a score of 54 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Just before change of mind closes on the CAO, how have people decided between RCSI and UCD? Finding the decision difficult as both have pros and cons

Would appreciate any insight !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran.molo

What are people doing about accommodation ? i have applied for on campus in UL but i am on a wait list.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NOG92

I've been thinking about this as well. Like I appreciate offers aren't out until 5th August and hopefully we get in of course, but I don't want to leave it too late to look for somewhere to live either. I've just been looking at private accommodation on daft just to get an idea of what's out there and rent prices, etc. I am leaning towards UL's GEM on campus accommodation as all bills etc are included. Plus, it would be great to live with other GEMS.

im sitting on a score of 58, so historically thats been good for UL, i tried contacting CAO and UL directly and keep getting fobbed off.

As its been said in other threads on here, point are fairly consistent year on year. One could reasonably assume it will be simular this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Just saw a few people chatting about hoping to get into UL and accommodation. Going into second year GEM at UL and we've just been told out lectures, pbl sessions and anatomy tutorials are going to be online for the foreseeable future! This just leaves our 2 hour clinical skills (compulsory), 2 hour (communication clinical skills, compulsory but was online last year, they are saying they hope it will be face to face) and our one hour anatomy tutorial (not compulsory, lots of people don't go) so 5 hours in all that will be face to face. I'm guessing it will be the same for first year, just for anyone looking for accommodation and want to know what the sitch might be!

• Advertisement

That sounds... dispiriting, to say the least 😕 Considering that fees are 15k a year lumping the majority of the course online can hardly be justified.

Yeh to be honest we were all a bit shook I think when we got the email...like even though simon harris has been going on about large lectures going ahead we didn't really expect that to happen but we did think pbl and anatomy tutorials where we are in small groups would go ahead especially since we'll all be vaccinated. For people talking about campus accommodation its pretty handy...but tbh i don't know if it was worth it last year with how little hours we had! And yeh 15k is ridiculous to be basically sitting at your laptop!

Yeah exactly, Harris has been at pains to get the message out there that it'll be business as usual on campuses come September! Hopefully the Uni is just trying not to get hopes up by presenting a downbeat picture. Maybe in a few weeks then they'll have a rethink about campus activities and in-person classes and lectures with the view to expanding the number taking place each week. Incidentally, as someone who started the program last year, do you have any advice on accommodation? Like the no. of weeks we'll need to be renting for the academic year; on-campus accommodation v private housing and rentals etc? Any tips would be appreciated 🙂

Yeh fingers crossed there will be more in person stuff and we'll know in a few weeks! I lived in Cappavilla village which is where a lot of the medical student live (and quigley which is exclusively med students). Honestly the rooms are really nice, the rooms all have a double bed desk and your own bathroom! The medical school lease is 41 weeks I think so we were there from the 30th of August till around the 12th of June I think! Cappavilla and Quigley are both next to the medical school but tbh that didn't really matter last year cos we were only there like once a week and we weren't allowed use the building otherwise! I know a few other people lived in Dromore village too I think. I'm not too sure about private accommodation because a lot of people just gave up their places on and off campus when it became obvious that there wasn't going to be much need to be in Limerick, I stayed the full year because I had hope haha. I know some friends of mine are struggling right now to find a 3/4 bed house for Sep. One disadvantage of living next to the med school is that it takes about 20 mins to walk off campus and then probs another 15 mins to get to Aldi so if you don't drive its a pain if you're not a fan of walking !

Cheers Ma003! I'll be sure to take a nosey at Cappavilla and Quigley. Luckily I have my own car. But coming from Donegal unfortunately commuting is not an option 😂 Thanks for the input 🙂

Hi Ma003, was your first year face to face all on the one day or spread out throughout the week ? just trying to gauge will i commute one / two days or am i aswell to move down. i would have 3 hour commute which i would not mind if its only one day a week.

• Advertisement

We just had one 2 hour clinical skills session and an hour of anatomage (using the anatomy tables). Clinical was compulsory, a lot of people didn't go to anatomage and i don't think they got in trouble. As regards the day, depends what group you were in. In the first semster both mine were on a thursday but in the second semester my clinical was on a mon and anatomage on a thurs, some people did swap groups if someone was willing to swap with them. Our other clinical session was online last year but i think now it might be face to face so that would be another day, but they only said they were hoping to do that one face to face. I've heard Cork gems is 100 per cent back face to face so i dunno if UL will change their mind in the next few weeks or not!

getting nervous now! came around so fast, only a week to go eeek how’s everyone feeling ?

I'm just trying to keep my mind off it as much as I can but I am really excited/nervous! 😬 I'm hoping GAMSAT cutoffs don't shift too much... they're already quite high across all the respective colleges. Hoping everyone gets the outcome they want 🤞 Then it's just the little matter of studying medicine to contend with after that...wee buns 😉 Go n-eírí go geal Libh! 🍀

Yes, best of luck to everyone. I hope everyone is happy and gets where they want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Medchem123

Yes can’t believe it’s only 5 days away as of writing this. Been a long time coming. Best of luck everyone on Thursday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 AoifeK1995

Does anyone know what time the offers will be out at tomorrow?

its very difficult to focus on anything :D 21 hours away from life changing (ish) news.

Oh stop! It’s unbearable I just want to know 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Anyone think 56 will be enough?

I really think it will be enough for UL if that's what you're looking for 😊 worst case scenario you will get it on the second round offer 😊 I'm on 56 myself, so I definitely feel your worry!

Perhaps take some comfort in this, for the last 8 or 9 years a score of 56 has been sufficient for UL. I went to the UL open day just before COVID and the campus is quite impressive.

Has anyone gotten any offers yet? I thought they would send an email to say offers are now out.

Nothing yet! I'm actually so nervous now and the fact there's nothing released yet is making me anxious now 😬 Best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

No😭 I have 57 and it just says ‘no offers are available at this time’😭

This makes me feel a lot better! Hopefully there's just a delay 😭

Holy ****, they must have skyrocketed

No they are out guys, I know people who have gotten offers

I would say it's more a case of the CAO haven't released them yet, especially if someone with 57 hasn't received an offer.

Would imagine then that there is something wrong. I know there has been long enough delays before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

This is such a brutal process. I got my offer at 10 am on the dot so I don’t think they’re slow with offers unfortunately

I wonder what the cutoff for UL was then if people with 58 didn't get in?

• Advertisement

UL 58*

UCC 61*

UCD 62*

RCSI 63

referenced from the CAO media and statistics section on CAO website, Boards.ie will not allow me to post links

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gamsitter

Does anyone know when the second round offers are out? Doubt I will get in regardless, but would just like to know.

sitting on 58 myself :(

7th september at 14:00

I think a lot of people have been very disappointed this morning so I feel for you!

• Advertisement

Just for anyone hoping for a second round offer, they just come out randomly, the 7th of Sep isn't actually the second round. I got an offer from the cao 6 days after the offers came out last year so it could be anytime after the deadline for accepting first round offers! Best of luck guys! Really sucks that the points jumped but theres still hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

completely agree - it’s so disappointing and really disheartening but hopefully we might get offers on the next round. The constant waiting and wondering is the worst

The points are an absolute joke. So disheartening - so sorry to anyone who didn’t get an offer. I got offered cork and am pretty deflated was dying for UCD but one point short. Hoping for second round offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 si1234

Just confirmed with UL that second round offers for GEM won't be made until Sept 7th, when Round 1 will be out for LCs

They told me that last year too, thats why i was so surprised to get a text 6 days later! Its likely you'll hear before then to be honest especially since ul start on the 30th of August! Most later offers were given out before the first round last year and there was a few throughout sep but its likely once the first round offers are accepted or rejected more will come out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement