Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Volume training. 10 x 10

• 04-08-2021 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Hi

Thinking of doing a round of german volume training, lost of websites out there,

can anybody recommend a programme?

its seems to be generally broke up as follows:

Chest and Back

Legs and Abs

Arms and Shoulders

From what I read, the key thing seems to be the tempo

Should the main compound exercises always be included. Bench, squat, deadlift

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭obi604

Thank you Patsy.

Whats an alternative to the 'Low Cable Pull-in'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

You’re absolutely right that tempo is key, without it it is not going to work as well. It’s painful, but stick with the slow negatives.

Would this be the only thing you would do at a gym session or would you do running or core work before or after etc.

or is it that I’ll be totally shagged after doing this and won’t have much left for anything before or after it.

Post edited by obi604 on

Also, just on the attached screen grab.

Silly question - Do I complete all of A1 first and THEN move on to A2 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

In that table you have push and pull exercises, for the sake of your nervous system I would advise you do push/pull/push/pull

If you do 2 chest in a row youll find it tough on the second chest exercise.

I did GVT a few years ago and didn't get much from it if I'm honest. A bit later I tried the Vince Gironda 8x8 routine and sweet jesus it hammered me BUT it gave me visual results.

With the GVT, if u feel yourself getting burnt out take an extra rest day. You'll more than likely have to. And don't aim for heavy lifts, it's not the right routine for going heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Cill94

Worth noting that this programme was developed by and for advanced bodybuilders. Based on Qs you’re asking, it might be safer and more effective for you to follow something with less volume..

noted. Just finished first session . Tough going but am keeping the weights at a manageable weight. Am f00ked actually :)

what do you recommend?

I have done some 5x5 in the past.

5/3/1 or Greyskull are what I tend to recommend. 5/3/1 has the Boring But Big hypertrophy template, which might be more suited to your goals.

Would 8x8 be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

GVT is one of those thing people rave about but I've never got much from it and neither has anybody I know.

not saying it's sh1te but it was sh1te for me

Actually, scratch that. Had a quick look and seems like carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Augme

What are your goals? Strength/ muscle building/muscle endurance/entertainment/challenge/all of the above?

While all of the above is ideal it's worth having a clear preference for one over the other as it makes picking a routine that bit easier. If you are knew enough to weight training ever program will deliver the same.

I did GVT before and I wouldn't say I got anything out of it, but I loved the challenge of it without completely breaking me.

I’ve been going to the gym for the guts of 15 years. Not hardcore like some of ye boyos ;) but always tipping away at bench press, squats, trap bar, overheard press etc.

The aim is to improve my physique and loose the belly fat, not massive or anything but it’s there alright !!

ultimate aim is to have decent looking body, good arms, nice chest i.e. the beach body (I guess everyone and their dog would like this scenario )

Have no interest in being super strong or anything, just want to define a bit more

but to define a bit more you need to build strength :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Augme

Might be worth just developing your own training routine then. Depending on how often you train you could do back & biceps, chest & triceps and legs and shoulders.

I

ncorporate the traditional big compound exercises for either 5x5 or 3x8 and then add supplementary exercises for 3x10-15.

What weights would you be using on the major lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

A good Push/Pull/Legs split can make for a nice change from 5x5 strength programs if you are looking to change things up. Something like this - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

German volume training more suited to "supplemented" lifters!

I think we’ve established GVT not likely to suit then.

If you’ve your focus is physique then based on what you’re familiar with you could look at something like 5/3/1 with a good amount of accessory work, or Westside For Skinny Bastards.

Keep the compounds you’re familiar with as main exercises and then plenty of assistance / accessory volume.

• Advertisement

fairly crap to be honest , bench 1rm is 90kg. squat about 110. deadlift: 120

I know the balance not great but those are my figures

im kinda confused now, good few things mentioned in the thread as below, but not sure which one to go with. I guess 1 and 2 are out and not sure which other one is best.

1. 10 x 10
    2. 8x8
    3. 5/3/1
    4. Greyskull
    5. 3x8
    6. 5x5
    7. Push/Pull/Legs split

Post edited by obi604 on

Just looking at those stats, and at the length you've been at the gym I would recommend going back to a strength 5x5 / stronglifts type programme and sticking it out.

Worth highlighting something important after reading what your goals are, DIET is key regarding body composition. I've been through it all over 20 years of training and competing, being natural and also dabbling with PEDS and the biggest changes came when I planned out my diet and stuck to it, really stuck to it.

I can't put it in words how hard it was to cut out ALL fast food / convenience lunches, it was a game changer. To this day I don't eat takeaway, butter, biscuits, no beer, wine, hi Gi fruits or veg, no white carbs as much as possible.

Haven't picked up a weight in a long time and still have 6 abs showing from 8.

I have a ton of stuff somewhere on Google drive, ebooks, routines etc, all pay for stuff.

Pm me an email address and once I dig it all out I'll send it on if you like.

Just a few screens to give you an idea of what I have, I've hundreds of paid for guides I'd be happy to share.

If there's enough interest I will add them to a Dropbox type host for download

The Greyskull LP in there is definitely a good option, a bit of a linear progression for strength but can be modded for some physique add ons

Post edited by Black Sheep on

as you have highlighted, the key word in all of this is DIET. I could go to the gym twice a week for the next year but if the diet is not right it’s a complete waste. Diet is my weakness and I k ow it’s 80% of the battle. Your dedication In your 2nd last paragraph is serious unreal commitment to stick to that.

So I need to focus on diet

in saying all this, I might give the grey skull a try.

Post edited by obi604 on

Thanks a million. Which of the grey skull workouts would match the below scenario ?

“The Greyskull LP in there is definitely a good option, a bit of a linear progression for strength but can be modded for some physique add obs workouts would”

• Advertisement

The Greyskull LP is a three times a week full body program. The book / pdf has all the details, I would take up the rather generous offer there.

Advertisement