Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

The bike lanes here run by the river and bikes are brought off the main road and down by the river through green areas to make the experience(at least in summer) more enjoyable. That would have required investment by the Council and a bright Spark thought it would be easier to just ignore planning regulations and close off a lane to vehicular traffic. The green areas on the strand are at least 1.2km long.

Here the bikers are given opportunities to dismount and avail of the amenities along the way but not so in Sandymount where the plan is for a cyclist super-highway.

I'd suggest that the person responsible for this knew exactly what they wanted to do which was not to promote bike usage on this particular route but to prevent cars from entering or even bypassing the City via this route to the east of the city.

Cyclists are just pawns but hey...bike lane...must be good.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How many times do you want to go around in these same circles? The port is a destination for a very small percentage of vehicles using Strand Road. Anyone with access to the m50/Dublin Tunnel would logically use it rather than Strand Road. So that is the vast majority of the country. HGV's should be using the m50/Dublin Tunnel route already regardless of where they start. How many cars and vans do you think are going to the port daily?

I already provided links as evidence on thread that the port is a huge employer and many people work there. Many people who don't work there would have reason to visit to collect or deliver goods or services and the most direct for a sizable proportion of the population approaching from the south of the city is via Stand Road.

So there are no places to divert off the proposed Strand Road cycle track into Sandymount to go to businesses there? Go on...tell us another one, you are good at the jokes!

They can still approach from south of the city. No one is denying access to the port.

• Advertisement

Except making it extraordinarily difficult to the point of making it impractical.

Q: Where does Owen Keegan fit in to this.

A: He doesn't.

Judge was correct to put him back in his box.

Such a ridiculous badly written article.

Ingle talks about wanting better cycling infrastructure in the city and then she bemoans the Court judgment re Strand Road.

She isnt a car driver and so is in a tiny minority of adults and yet she wants the city to evolve around her choices. She fails to address the issue about where the displaced traffic now using the East Link is to go,most of it wont go to the M50, if this was a convenient route for those using the East Link they would be using it already.

The vast majority of this traffic will access the Northside of Dublin by diverting onto the Merrion Road and into the city centre turning at Haddington Road or else continuing on and going down Pearse Street and onto Amiens Street. Hundreds of cyclists use this route out of the city everyday so how is closing Strand Road to North Bound traffic going to help them,it will make these roads much busier and more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists as well as motorists.

Can any of the ardent cyclists here explain where the displaced traffic is to go.

Why wasnt the road closed temporarily for a few weeks with bollards, this wouldnt cost very much money and the effects of this plan would be transparent for all to see. I would be happy for this to be trialled like this but the underhand way of using Covid as an excuse to ram through "temporary proposals" is very undemocratic and its important that the Judge in this case took a stand on behalf of those who would have been so adversely affected by this plan.

What is the situation with the other "temporary" Covid measures,eg making Seapoint Avenue one way, will planning permission have to be sought for this now too. I think this road should be reopened from October to March, there will bevery little cycling on it once the weather turns as its mostly used by people walking the pier and swimming in the forty foot and many of these people could walk or take the Dart to Dunlaoghaire instead of cycling.

I used to like walking on Seapoint Avenue towards the sea but stopped last year as it is deserted in the evenings, I would like cars back on it this winter as the only other option is to walk on Monkstown Road which is snarled permanently with traffic.

There will probably be a certain shift in forms of transport used for some people. For those who insist on driving, is turning the steering wheel left or right (while using the indicators please!) really that difficult? As a motorist, I don't think so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In terms of your comment about DCC not wanting debate, would you care to remind us all of the number of consultations DCC held over the trial?

You make the comment that the route is an artery to the port. Are you saying that the majority of vehicles are travelling to the port?

As for the rest of your post, it really is nonsense which has been shown to be wrong.

• Advertisement

Is heading west really what you want to be doing when you know you should be heading north east.

I use the Strand Road a lot to get to Clontarf and this route is very heavily trafficked.

If I cant go via Strand Road I will drive into the City Centre, turn at Lincoln Place,onto Pearse Street and then onto Amiens Street.

Its not as direct a route as using the East Link but I wont have to pay the toll.

I wont cycle this distance and nor will I get the Dart or get a bus into town and another in the city centre to Clontarf.

There are thousands of people like me who just enjoy driving our cars.

You make a very silly argument. When driving from Dublin to Galway the road does not always go due east. Should people refuse to drive there as sometimes they are not facing their destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"She isnt a car driver and so is in a tiny minority of adults"

This isn't true in Dublin. Within the canals, there are plenty of households, according to the census, that don't have a car.

From

https://irishcycle.com/2020/05/10/data-in-images-cars-in-dublin-city-centre/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"There are thousands of people like me who just enjoy driving our cars."

so you mean you're clogging up strand road for your enjoyment? what a weird way of spending your time. you should take up a hobby. cycling, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you enjoy driving through heavily congested routes this must make it more enjoyable.

I have walked from Merrion Gates via Strand Road and Sean Moore Road, and got to the East Link bridge quicker than motor vehicles. I wonder if people who just enjoy driving their cars are responsible for the slowness of traffic along the route.

Everything not aligning with your world view is "silly". I suppose if I head west for 25000km I will eventually comeback to where I came from and then just adjust by a fraction of a degree along the way to get to the north of the Liffey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Google is a massive employer but they don't all drive. Same for the airport, same for most any large MNC in Dublin.

Port is a 30 min walk from docklands station, a 25 min walk from the Luas stop.

They 53 goes from Talbot Street into the port too on the hour from 7-7.

All 4000 of those employees are not in there at the same time. And you're right they're not all coming from the nrthside but they're not all coming through sandymount either.

It's a round the clock operation, many travelling off peak too.

Say you are coming from the south. Leoparddtown maybe, it's a far longer route on the m50, but it's quicker at peak times then taking on the urban/city route. Now the m50 can of course have truly awful days when the opposite is true but there it is

So you provided a bit of data on how many work there, but offered no context with it, so it's not really a useful argument to make if you're not willing to examine the whole picture.

People travelling by car will still be able to get to the port.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague of mine used to complain about how long it took him to get to work. he drove from killester to leopardstown; and was heard to complain about being stuck at the merrion gates. this was despite the fact that he lives less than 10 minutes walk from killester dart station and there's a bus service from blackrock dart station to our building.

i just enjoyed the irony that he complained about being stuck because of the alternative mode of transport he'd probably have been quicker using anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't care what you enjoy. Get on a DART.

That is not a subterfuge, that is official policy.

No, it was just the argument you made about not wanting to go slightly in a different direction to where the final destination is that was silly. Maybe you need to invent the transporter as per the fictional Star Trek. It could beam you and your car exactly where you want to go without having to turn the steering wheel at all. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

There was 1 Strand Road Public Consultation with no traffic analysis data supplied in advance of Public Consultation (only published with the Final Report by DCC) and neither was the question ever asked during the Public Consultation whether the public approved or disapproved of the scheme, an omission acknowledged by DCC in page 10 of the ‘Final Report on Strand Road Public Consultation’.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Above in context of Seth Brundle query:

“In terms of your comment about DCC not wanting debate, would you care to remind us all of the number of consultations DCC held over the trial?”

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Exactly this. I live on south east coast and work in D1. I have an assigned parking space at the office. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used the parking space given that it’s healthier and less stressful to either use one of the myriad of public transport options or cycle in.

I used to drive to an office in D2 but found it to be a really bad start and end to the workday, getting annoyed with every other road user, be they pedestrian, cyclist or motorist. My journey was sh1t and slow, and this made me frustrated at the behaviour of other drivers etc.

Now I find it’s a part of the day that I enjoy, either getting a spin in or catching up on news or a podcast on phone etc on Dart. With public transport, there’s a walk involved on both sides also which helps keep the middle age spread at bay (partially!)

This is way things are going - we need to build infrastructure for these options and not for single occupancy cars which is unsustainable for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well written letter Paula Clancy, couldn't have said it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

People should be aware, that this is a campaign to block all cycling across the city not just here. Its a serial objections by minority over many years across many locations.

The end result is that drivers will sit in a different queue as they crawl from one congested part of the city to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

You believe the judge is correct purely by the notion of them being a judge? Then what, pray tell, is the point of the Court of Appeal? What is the point of to process of appeal? You believe that the city council were wrong, and the judge agrees with you. That is not proof that either of you are correct in your assertion.

You have convinced yourself that you are only against this project because you believe the City Council have not done their due diligence and you have to, but no one else is convinced, hence I will again insist that you have this self-proclaimed air of fairness that you insist on telling others about when the birds in the sky can see it's based on anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

A well written letter that abjectly ignores the central issue of the case. You're right sounds exactly like your kind of letter.

The issue is not the planning procedure, the issue is what is covered by Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act. A section that lists all the ways a local authority can remove access to a road for the purpose of prioritising sustainable modes, including the addition of and removal of te very things the judge listen in his judgement, the additional and removal of which explicitly does not require planning permission.

• Advertisement

Why didn't you address that matter of law when it was brought before you in Court and note it in your ruling?

Advertisement