Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And there's a big difference between incompetence as you call it, and borderline vehicular assault which I have personally experienced as many road users have too. That said none of that was down to infrastructure, rather just sh!theads who happened to be driving cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

The ‘poor decision from more than 10 yrs is dragged up’ - the reason it is historical is because Owen Keegan was in DLR from 2006 to Sept 2013 ergo any reference to DLR/OK will be 8yrs or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

DLR was the response when it was questioned when has he used this modus operandi before? There is still no example provided of him using a trial as cover to make something permanent. In fact the example you provided shows the opposite - changing something supposed to be permanent because it didn’t work.

Why don’t you respond to the substance of my post rather than picking on one phrase? What’s your issue with Keegan? Unless there isn’t one and you’re just attacking him because you don’t want the cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's not personal at all with me (though it is with quite a few of the City Councillors at this stage).

My whole angle on this is; I have to comply with the law, with regulations, with full transparency on everything I do professionally. I have to guarantee that on my clients behalf too.

All I want is a level playing field, one where the goal posts don't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

I want a cycle lane just not a bargain basement cycle lane; have never attacked Owen Keegan, my issue is with the way OK and others in DCC have attempted to rush through under the banner of ‘COVID mobility’ a badly thought out cycleway that could never be accused of being ‘unduly ambitious’ and that would negatively affect surrounding areas.

Dept of Transport has €360m for walking/cycling investment, Strand Road budget was €250,000, spend the money and do it right or don’t do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keegan's form is well known where it matters. He has spent long enough cultivating his reputation so he can deal with any consequences.

Strand Rd will be decided on its own merits which is how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Cycling and walking infrastructure is necessary for Ireland's health. We have a major obesity problem. Our population health is going to crash because of the effects of this.

Finland used to be as we are now, then a national strategy formed by a group of young doctors started with the North Karelia Project, which weaned the dairy area off its addiction to salt and full-fat milk and fatty meat, and built walking and cycling infrastructure. The effects of this were so breathtakingly successful in cutting heart attacks and other effects of obesity that it was spread countrywide, and then taken up by Finland's Scandinavian neighbours.

Sitting in cars is bad for us, and it's especially bad for our children. When we build safe and separated cycling and walking infrastructure, we'll stop seeing fat as normal. (Look at the RTÉ News any day, and count the number of fat people interviewed. Especially in terms of class, it's noticeable how fat Irish people have become.)

Hunt out the video of the closing minutes of the 1960s film Rocky Road to Dublin and look at the Dublin kids chasing the camera car down the road. Compare it with the kids you see staring out of cars, soft and flabby. Compare the people interviewed with the pudgy people interviewed on today's documentaries. We've become a nation of pudge. This has to be rolled back. Cycling infrastructure and walking trails are health infrastructure.

All good points, none of which have anything to do with the consequences of closing Strand Rd to traffic heading for the East Link .

I didnt cycle much as a child we were never taken out cycling.

My Dad was allergic to walking so drove everywhere.

He smoked until we made him give it up, drank a little, wasnt overweight and lived till he was eighty.

None of us were overweight growing up and being fat is more to do with children stuffing their faces than how long they spend in a car.

You make it all sound so simplistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

It can be both. More children than ever are being driven to school. These are very often very short journeys that are wholly unnecessary.

If course bad diet is a major concern but it's not the whole reason.

You make it sound so simplistic

They have more relevance than the direction of the bitterly cold wind that is apparently unique to sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

It's your personal view that money is being wasted. The rest of us believe the judgement is fundamentally flawed and oxymoronic. You believe the Judge to be correct because you've been against this project from the very beginning.

You're very much like Cllr. Lacey and Mannix. Absolutely convinced of your own magnanimity, that you are being fair minded and level headed when you're being anything but.

Drives people up the wall.

No Caoimhín, I knew the CC were on dangerous ground from the off, I said so here and I believe the Judge to be correct because he's a bleedin Judge!

I don't give a monkeys who it drives up the wall (should you not be cycling up the wall?), I said last night that when I see local authorities bending the rules to suit themselves when the rest of us have to have every i and t perfect in our projects, it's drives me mad. I never said I was magnanimous about that.

There is simply what is right and what is wrong and I believe very strongly that the judgement will hold up and any appeal will be rejected, for all the reasons I thought the whole thing was bogus in the first place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What would be the expected timeline for an appeal?

I'm hearing from learned Counsel of my acquaintance that the pandemic has increased the backlog in the Court of Appeal (Civil) to between 18 and 24 months.

Lawyers for the CC could apply for a public interest priority, but given the minor nature, relatively speaking, of this matter, I don't see it being successful. Even an accelerated process would be at least 12 months away.

Thanks. If they go after all the other pandemic measures I don't think it would be all that minor anymore.

Does Flynn plan on going after all the outdoor eating areas too or does he just have a specific issue with cyclists?

He's just spoofing really (imagine!).

You have to evaluate things on their own merits to see whats likely. Mannix Flynn doesn't have sufficient interest (legally speaking) in areas outside the City Council's territory.

Yes, other residents groups in Dun Laoghaire /Blackrock, Glasnevin, Malahide etc may be emboldened by the Strand Road decision and take their own cases, but they'll have to resource them. I suspect each of those projects may well be more of an even split of opinion locally, so raising 20k in the blink of an eye like STC did might be a next level challenge.

One scheme Mannix may well go after himself is the City Quays.

As for the eating areas and parking spaces cordoned off, well they're a different animal to the Strand Road proposals, both in terms of scale and impact. In my opinion they could be provided for under a few different Acts and various local bye-laws in different Counties, so I don't see them being challenged. They'll probably just gradually disappear as full indoor reopenings roll out and winter closes in, maybe to become a summer only phenomenon in the years to come, as demand dictates.

He doesn't have an issue with cyclists. He has an issue with traffic being forced onto roads and streets that are not able to handle it.

• Advertisement

Oh he has already said he is going after the quays. I don't really understand how the pedestrianisation of Capel street for example is fundamentally different from that though, or the restriction of traffic on Merrion Street.

He's already said he is going to go after the cycling infrastructure on the quays. That is not forcing traffic anywhere.

You are still, as much as ever, unfit to be a Moderator. The Strand is lovely on a good day and as is the case with any coastal area the wind will cut you on a wintery day. You don't even feign a semblance of impartiality or fairness and you should not be a Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Mannix Flynn doesn't have an issue with cyclists is one of the more unlikely statements here so far.

Flynn can speak for himself about cyclists. All I have seen him say about Strand Rd is about how the plan to close it will be to the detriment of the people who live there.

He has also said he is pro-cycling infrastructure. He is full of ****.

He turned up in the aftermath of a rave-like gathering at Oliver Bond flats at the start of the pandemic and almost immediately started complaining about cycling infrastructure. The gathering had, of course, nothing to do with cycling infrastructure.

I think in psychology, it's what they used to call an idée fixe.

Cycling infrastructure is Captain Mannix's white whale.

I did see a funny on twitter, 'what do you get if you combine a bollard and a Mannix?'

Answers on a postcard.

• Advertisement

He wasn't elected by people in that area though. He's in a different ward, and has been routinely rejected on the GEs too.

So either this is a very local issue and only the local people of sandymount should be considered and mannix should have no say on the matter, or it's a citywide issue and that's where the wider greater good of the infrastructure comes into play

Advertisement