Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

While I don't think the race analogy is necessarily helpful, it could be said, however, that the crucial aspects of the race were already won by the UK in that the key people who needed vaccinations were done far earlier in the UK than in Ireland. This allowed the UK to open up to a far greater extent during the summer months and consequently will be far less restricted coming into winter than here.

We finally caught up with them in the end in terms of distance covered but the race was largely over at that stage and our competitors already in the pub celebrating their win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But they're ahead of us consistently for new cases and deaths (per capita). That doesn't sound like they 'won' any vaccine race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

However in terms of stopping being obsessed with the virus and getting back to normal they are ahead of us. But I agree with you that the race analogy is not particularly helpful which is why I think our government's comment was ill-advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

With a fully-open, back-to-normal society though. Meanwhile we have anoraks fretting over case numbers every day, keeping Joe Duffy in a job. You'd have to question the long-term mental impact of our approach on certain (mostly older) cohorts before deciding who is "victorious". Time will ultimately tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Taoiseach's comment was taken out of context. He was merely commenting on the milestone of Ireland overtaking the UK having trailed it badly in vaccinations all year. That was always going to be something that was noted, given that they are our much larger neighbouring state.

Canada would do the same with the US, NZ with Australia etc if it happened there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Passing it on to other countries who need it first instead would be a better plan."

There are billions of people who need all our staff more than we need it - they dont have water to drink, food to eat, clothes to wear etc, etc, etc. With your better plan we should pack half of our staff on ships and send it to Africa and Asia..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Virgin media reporting that the 700k doses won't actually come from Romania, they'll be delivered directly from Pfizer.

Can only assume it means we're getting some of their future delvieries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For anyone interested, a very long and very technical article about SARS-COV-2. Still should be readable and with the diagrams in it one can make general sense of what it's saying.

TL;DR

It's a very crafty and still mysterious virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

So the HSE considers you are fully protected one week after the second Pfizer dose, but elsewhere I always see two weeks. Which is it or is it really "1-2" weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have to say this is astounding and wonderful to see !

Even the 18 to 24 age group in only 2 weeks ..incredible !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's country by country. Pfizer said one, most countries go 2 for consistency. France is also 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It's not a race , no.

But good we have had less severe illness and deaths than the UK .

The mental impact of this remains to be seen here , but a lot more older people here alive to tell the tale .

And as regards " older " people in England , open or not , does not mean they were not scared of ending up in hospital or were able to take advantage of the freedoms there , as they were , many of them , waiting a long time for their second doses until the UK had to quicken up because of Delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Absolutely not. We're a society and a community not just an unconnected series of individuals. Your body is an avenue of infection for someone else, it is also an incubator for further strains that may be more contagious, more potent or more resistant to treatment or vaccination. If you're a selfish invertibret that thinks s/he'll just take the risk cos they're all anti establishment weed smokers on the dole while completely ignoring their choices impact on society, then yes coercive action is required. The same types of meat bags uses to not wear seat belts and say things like: tHeY wON'T sTop cRasHes hApPening

While utterly ignoring the potential for their bodies to become a windshield smashing human missle for people in another vehicle to deal with. Brainless individuals unfortunately have to be forced into certain things for the good of the community. In the old days it would have been quite brutal enforcement but alas we have become soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In terms of policy levers the answer is removing restrictions on the vaccinated population. For example allowing bars open without curfew for the vaccinated, open night clubs for the vaccinated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭animalinside

Is it okay if I didn't send the text message confirmation on time? Can I just show up anyway?

I had no credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

What do you mean by send a text message confirmation? There’s no requirement to do that for the HSE Portal.

The text asks you to log in to the portal to answer a few medical questions but it’s not necessary. They’ll ask you them again on the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭xboxdad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gotcha. Although I thing you're mis-using the term "curfew", since that just means a legal requirement to stay indoors.

Nightclub opening didn't go so well in the Netherlands recently, although IIRC that was because they were allowing people with negative tests, and not checking ID, so people were just copying other people's negative tests.

Relatedly, I think the idea that young people (and even young children) don't spread the virus has been strongly debunked now, although I can't be bothered to rifle through Twitter to find a source.

Anyway, I'm veering wildly off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As it is voluntary, your self-righteous sermon and semi-rant would not sway many people. I switched off completely at "Your body is an avenue..."! I'm not sure that suggesting those who may remain unvaccinated are some form of sub-human brings anything to any debate apart from giving an insight into the state of your mind in writing it.

The way to do so is to make it as easy as possible, like the very successful walks-ins, use of pharmacies and concerted health information nudges. Sitting in judgement, evaluating motivations come a distant second to convincing as many as possible to take vaccinations. Some may never do so and that is understood and accepted by those running the programme. It is neither practical nor feasible to aim for 100%. We will get to high numbers vaccinated just as we will have some unvaccinated, that's a reality you need to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Number of people got text where you needed to text back Y to confirm. This was for Moderna me included. I did ring the HSE and confirmed genuine an asked that I text back Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

Ok. Interesting. Maybe a different level of consent required for Moderna for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kg703

Hey everyone - probably asked a million times. My husband and I postponed our second vax last thursday - both got appointments for yesterday but were away other side of the country. My husband got a text the next day with his new appointment the next day and still nothing for me. Does it normally take a few days for some people? I dont have the portal so I cant check as I was registered by my GP first and then moved to HSE for second one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

45,586 done/reported yesterday, Of which i was 1.

6 millionth dose probably done today if not tomorrow. 4 millionth dose of pfizer given yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

On Saturday, I was offered an appt for Monday, but requested reschedule and have not heard anything since. Galway racecourse, pfizer, 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

The rescheduling seems to be completely luck of the draw. The mrs tried to reschedule her 2nd dose, got a text 24 hours later offering her the exact same apartment date and time so rescheduled again and now hasnt heard anything in 72 hours, called the HSE and they couldnt offer any help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

UK to offer vaccines to under 18 year olds. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58080232

This is on top of the already approved age group 12-18 if immune compromised, learning difficulties, Downs syndrome, cancer or living with people who are immune compromised.

Did see that there are efforts to get age bracket 18-24 to up the amount of vaccinations - incentive offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I have to say, while I see it's necessary, the incentives to vaccinate, like tickets to a music festival in NI, or Deliveroo vouchers in UK, is a little hard to digest if you're young and have already taken a vaccine, feeling a little hard done by. I'm also sure some young influential teens would try waiting to see if something better may be offered before heading for a vaccine.

Post edited by airy fairy on

Advertisement