Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a welder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭green daries

For an inverter type welder, would 160 amps not be enough for 3.2mm rods?

Esab are pretty good you would want to go with the 180 amp type min its just an better machine it will weld litterly anything
    Just edit to say ya 160 is plenty good power ratings wise but you just seem to be more bang for your buck with the higher rated machines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

tancoman wrote: »
    Yeah no problem with an Invertor. Will weld up to 12mm no problem. I find Hilco Red rods excellent. Ok, they area bit more expensive, but easier to use particularly if stuff isn't too clean.

Absolutely agree on the hilco. I bought a box of siftrode rods on price difference and couldn't wait to get them burnt to get back to hilcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very tidy bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Hi lads I'm thinking of buying a auto dark helmet would ye have any good recommendations, plus can they be got for the hand type shield aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

lab man wrote: »
    Hi lads I'm thinking of buying a auto dark helmet would ye have any good recommendations, plus can they be got for the hand type shield aswell

You can here's a cheap one https://www.amazon.co.uk/OriGlam-Darkening-Auto-Darkening-Horizontal-Automation/dp/B071Y73G8B/ref=sr_1_7?crid=34VRUPS83S5QN&dchild=1&keywords=auto+darkening+welding+lens&qid=1606162103&sprefix=auto+dark%2Cdiy%2C149&sr=8-7

If it's to put into a hand held shield then my advice is to store the shield in the bin! Those things have absolutely no redeaming features whatsoever.

Here's one for the head, cheap and chearfull but as well made as any shield up to the €150 mark, i have one myself.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BHNKN18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

lab man wrote: »

I bought plenty of them off eBay, wish, the local hardware place etc. None of the last more than 6 months at best, probably jinxed it now but have one off gasweld a good 18 months now, was around e50 iirc.

If it were my money i'd chance the parweld from EPT for €295 as Patsy linked a couple of pages back.

The ESAB and the Jasic would have a better brand name alright and there's nothing wrong with them, on the pro side i would rate the esab and Jasic more reliable than the parweld, but with the parweld you're getting an extra 20/30 amps on the top end, duty cycles are the same, the parweld also has a digital read out making it easier to set your amps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Got the Esab rogue 180 from Caulfields today. €288 delivered including VAT.
    Thought it was a decent price. father in law has the Esab Buddy (very similar to Rogue) for DIY jobs and has found it great so far.

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/esab-0700500077-rogue-es180i-portable-welder/p-g15239

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Bit old fashioned here but if you can pick up an old oil cooled welder they are a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

K.G. wrote: »
    Bit old fashioned here but if you can pick up an old oil cooled welder they are a great job.
    OH has an old Bantam (I think) oil cooled welder and it’s a great yoke as long as you can bring what you want to weld to the shed. It’s too heavy and cumbersome to move around the yard even on wheels. I bought him a cheap Parweld inverter for Christmas a few years ago and it does most of the welding now. He fixed up our power box during the Summer - cutting out and welding in new/extra ribs and a new front edge using it. I posted a pic in the guntering thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Base price wrote: »
    OH has an old Bantam (I think) oil cooled welder and it’s a great yoke as long as you can bring what you want to weld to the shed. It’s too heavy and cumbersome to move around the yard even on wheels. I bought him a cheap Parweld inverter for Christmas a few years ago and it does most of the welding now. He fixed up our power box during the Summer - cutting out and welding in new/extra ribs and a new front edge using it. I posted a pic in the guntering thread.

Have one of them pickhill bantams here still, great welder aside from the weight. When were they manufactured anyone know? Our one here since the 70s I think, its certainly well before my time, and will probably outlive me ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Timmaay wrote: »
    Have one of them pickhill bantams here still, great welder aside from the weight. When were they manufactured anyone know? Our one here since the 70s I think, its certainly well before my time, and will probably outlive me ha.
    That's the one - a Pickhill Bantam. OH bought it second hand around 1989 from a local man who was retiring and it was his first and only welder until I bought him the inverter for Christmas a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭green daries

Got the Esab rogue 180 from Caulfields today. €288 delivered including VAT.
    Thought it was a decent price. father in law has the Esab Buddy (very similar to Rogue) for DIY jobs and has found it great so far.

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/esab-0700500077-rogue-es180i-portable-welder/p-g15239
    seems decent value at that don't think you will be disappointed congrats on your new purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Reggiehammond

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Timmaay wrote: »

There used be an Ad in the farmers Journal for them .The guy used to sell them from his house the address was Fergus Road Terenure Dublin . I remember collecting the welder with built in Battery Booster with my father when we were passing . We still have the Welder but it has not been used in Years .I can remember where we bought a welder fifty years ago but cannot remember which car I had in Tesco car park .

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bamayang

Has anyone ever replaced the battery in an auto dark welding helmet? Have one here that is gone dead, not sure what it takes or where it’s even located.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

bamayang wrote: »
    Has anyone ever replaced the battery in an auto dark welding helmet? Have one here that is gone dead, not sure what it takes or where it’s even located.

Yes, have you a photo of it or make/model. Mine took 2 AAA batteries. Its normally above the lens on inside of mask.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's easy done, look above the lens on the inside of the shield for a cutout shaped like a "U" with little grooves on it, slide that "U" down and you should find a button battery inside, if memory serves me it's a cr2450, i will double check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bamayang

Thanks very much lads. I was reading earlier that the batteries are recharged from the 'solar' panel on the front of the helmet. Being a sporadic welder, the mask sits under a bench in darkness for most of its life, so I wonder is that what caused the issue?

Thanks very much lads. I was reading earlier that the batteries are recharged from the 'solar' panel on the front of the helmet. Being a sporadic welder, the mask sits under a bench in darkness for most of its life, so I wonder is that what caused the issue?

Battery just degrades over time, even if used every day I'd have to replace my one every year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Would this be any use or just a toy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Beyond useless, absolutely avoid like the plague, I've one in the shed here that broke after about a weeks use, chap who got it left it too long to return it so asked me if I could look at it, the wire feed is absolutely not fit for purpose and will break beyond repair within afew uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

I Bought a jasic inverter welder lately and find it very good. Lovely smooth weld and plenty of power. It’s a generator friendly one he said that won’t get damaged by powering it with a genny. And can be used on 110 or 230 v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I bought one thinking it would be good mig starter and I might invest in a decent one down the line. Useless yoke, couldn't get any kind of decent weld out of it at all. I buy a lot of Lidl stuff and find most of it very good but this was a poor purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lidl have them again this week, and I am tempted,. but after reading your post, I'm not so sure. I have an 180 amp arc welder, and its pretty good, but I've used MIG before, full professional kit, and now for lighter stuff, I'd like a MIG, but just a handy one for ocassional work.So what was the main problems you found with it? And if it did not work for you, did you buy something else in the MIG gasless line?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Have the PFC pro 200, got it from Fred Cronnin in Kerry, very good service.

Engtech in mallow also very good for same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

There's only a few set points on it and even at the slowest feed and highest current the wire was still coming too fast and no penetration on the weld. Very spattery.

I haven't done anything about getting a gasless mig since and I'm not stuck for one but I would like to get one at some stage. Until then my inverter arc does anything i need

Advertisement