Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a welder

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

bamayang wrote: »
    Has anyone ever replaced the battery in an auto dark welding helmet? Have one here that is gone dead, not sure what it takes or where it’s even located.

Yes, it's easy done, look above the lens on the inside of the shield for a cutout shaped like a "U" with little grooves on it, slide that "U" down and you should find a button battery inside, if memory serves me it's a cr2450, i will double check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Thanks very much lads. I was reading earlier that the batteries are recharged from the 'solar' panel on the front of the helmet. Being a sporadic welder, the mask sits under a bench in darkness for most of its life, so I wonder is that what caused the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

bamayang wrote: »
    Thanks very much lads. I was reading earlier that the batteries are recharged from the 'solar' panel on the front of the helmet. Being a sporadic welder, the mask sits under a bench in darkness for most of its life, so I wonder is that what caused the issue?

Battery just degrades over time, even if used every day I'd have to replace my one every year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Would this be any use or just a toy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Beyond useless, absolutely avoid like the plague, I've one in the shed here that broke after about a weeks use, chap who got it left it too long to return it so asked me if I could look at it, the wire feed is absolutely not fit for purpose and will break beyond repair within afew uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

I Bought a jasic inverter welder lately and find it very good. Lovely smooth weld and plenty of power. It’s a generator friendly one he said that won’t get damaged by powering it with a genny. And can be used on 110 or 230 v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I bought one thinking it would be good mig starter and I might invest in a decent one down the line. Useless yoke, couldn't get any kind of decent weld out of it at all. I buy a lot of Lidl stuff and find most of it very good but this was a poor purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lidl have them again this week, and I am tempted,. but after reading your post, I'm not so sure. I have an 180 amp arc welder, and its pretty good, but I've used MIG before, full professional kit, and now for lighter stuff, I'd like a MIG, but just a handy one for ocassional work.So what was the main problems you found with it? And if it did not work for you, did you buy something else in the MIG gasless line?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Have the PFC pro 200, got it from Fred Cronnin in Kerry, very good service.

Engtech in mallow also very good for same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

There's only a few set points on it and even at the slowest feed and highest current the wire was still coming too fast and no penetration on the weld. Very spattery.

I haven't done anything about getting a gasless mig since and I'm not stuck for one but I would like to get one at some stage. Until then my inverter arc does anything i need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

If you used a proper mig before that yoke will do your head in to even look at! Stick with the rods unless you have a good bit of work to justify a mig.

I've a mig 4 years burns 0.8mm wire was e800 new. I'd probably get 400 for it in the morning and it has done plenty of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yeah, I'd say that you are right !!!. Its a good while since I used the MIG, and like you, it was a full professional model, same 0.8 mm wire and using Argon 15 shielding gas. But I was thinking of how far welding and welders have come. I remember using an oil filled welder which was the size of a small table, it was on iron wheels and took two men to push it around, to the inverter welders of today, no problem for one man to carry around, and twice the welding capacity. So I was thinking that maybe the MIG welders had followed the same line of development. But seemingly not, and that kind of performance you described would definitely do my head in....I'll leave it for now anyway as I'm not in any hurry, Thanks for your input,

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

what are ppls opinion on this welder:

for around the farm so many models I don’t know what to pick tbh thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

have a vires 160 amp inverter, impressed with it better than parweld if u ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Bought a Jasic Arc 200 from Proweld last year and absolutely delighted with it. Light & antistick which is handy for the rough welding I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Used one for years on the home farm fixing gates, troughs etc. Never gave any trouble. I just kept it dry and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Will that run on a 13 amp std 3 pin plug or is it on the higher amp plug? Have a oil cooled for the workshop but on the look out for an inverter for doing jobs around the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Super little machine, can weld up to 3.5 rods no problem.

Sub €100

Advertisement