Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

JV suggests Valtteri Bottas to Aston, Lance Stroll to Mercedes | PlanetF1

Gob on a stick, Jacque Villeneuve, is at it again. Is there anything he wouldn't say for a headline?

He's suggesting Stroll and Bottas switch places next year instead of bringing in Russell. Sounds good for Bottas to go to AM, but why on earth would Mercedes want Stroll over Bottas? Not much in it between them. Bottas would usually be much more consistent than Stroll but both are in shyte form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭McFly85

Also, Stroll going to a team not owned by his dad? Seems like Jacque is just trying to shoehorn Bottas into a seat that doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Not sure Lawrence can afford to buy Mercedes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lawrence might be a rich man but his vault isn't a bottomless pit. If it's clear that Lance is costing the team money either prize or repairs, he's getting the shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I want some of what JV is smoking please. Stroll in a Mercedes is never going to happen. I'm an Aston fan and it's pretty clear, Stroll isn't absolutely rubbish, but he's not great either. He is very inconsistent. For what it's worth, Bottas is quick but I think he's lost his bottle/mojo whatever it may be

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why would Mercedes want Stroll over a German driver anyway if it came down to that?

Form comes and goes. Bottas has been very consistent in general and his quali pace is still generally good. He's had some bad luck this year (running second in Monaco until the wheel nut failed, for example) but not so much bad luck to explain the dip in race pace. Id still take Bottas over Stroll, but there isn't loads between them.

It's just JV talking nonsense. The Stroll senior-Toto business connections make it slightly more plausible, but the fact that Stroll is average at best and below average with his poor form at the moment, means it's just guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jacque is as reliable as The Sun, best to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah where is Alonso’s penalty for his lock up that let Lewis past him? It was extremely dangerous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I really think the whole notion of a brand wanting a driver from their home nation is overblown.

Teams, generally, hire on the basis of money & talent. Being from the same country as the brand is a happy accident. See: Haas, Aston Martin etc. Yuki wasn't brought in to AT because he's Japanese - he's a youngster who happens to have both Red Bull and Honda backing. Same again with Ocon - he wasn't hired by Renault because he's French - he's a talented driver.

It might be a consideration on some level, but it depends on where they want to market their cars. There's probably not a lot of room left to grow the Renault brand in france or the Mercedes brand in Germany. Alpine might have more use of a French driver as its a brand innthe relaunch phase. If they want to grow their brand in China, then a Chinese driver would be ideal, likewise America.

Mercedes having 2 German drivers in Schumacher and Rosbers seemed like the most pointless exercise in the world from a purely marketing perspective. An international driver like Hamilton probably brings much greater marketing opportunities.

Alpine have a Chinese driver on their books, and have done for sometime, and he's nowhere near that car. Several young US drivers have come on the scene, but they stay Stateside in Indycar since it's not worth their career to trundle at the back in a Haas when they can fight for wins in Indycar (see: Herta). Haas may be an anomaly in this discussion as while they are American, they're not in the sport to sell cars.

The only team I would entertain the thought of their having an English driver being important to them is Williams, given how strong English that team is and in its heritage. Heck, didn't Sir Frank used to have a portrait of Margaret Thatcher in his office!

I wasn't following the sport for SCH's return, but to characterise it as "useless" seems odd to me. Surely them having a 7 time world champ, statistically the GOAT at that time on their team immensely raised the profile of the marque's team in the sport. Just because he's German doesn't mean he's soley of interest in Germany - he is world famous.

I think that was more to show they're a german team, when in truth they're actually a british team

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

I remember Mercedes being very strong on having a German driver in the car and Rosberg was not seen as German. Added into the fact that Schumacher wanted to get back, it was a no brainer. I remember Heidfeld being very strongly linked and may have even tested for them.

I thin they just make a big noise about it when they happen to have drivers that match the nationality of the team. I doubt it's a huge consideration at all - unless for some strategic purpose. Tsunoda was appointed while RB were still negotiating the engine deal with Honda. It can't be coincidence that they promoted a total rookie who was likely well underprepared (and has proven to be underprepared) while negotiating with Honda. It must have been to sweeten the pot for Honda.

Given Gasley's resurgence after being demoted to AT, I think it's safe to say Albon would be doing a better job than Tsunoda (not that they would have known that at the time they signed Tsunoda). But I think that signing him might be a necessary evil to help with the engine negotiations.

Yuki has been supported by Honda for a lot of his career.

Yeah but do you think it's pure coincidence that he's also Japanese and just happened to be promoted unusually early during the RB Honda negotiations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Wasn't there a piece when HAAS was looking for sponsors and the potential German sponsor pretty much told them they can have their money of they had a German driver?

Who knows if it actually played out like that.

• Advertisement

No, I don't think it's a coincidence. It was evidently a big deal for Honda to see one of their juniors pushed to an F1 seat. Just as it was a big deal for Lando to make it to a race seat for McLaren, as he was one of their juniors. Nationality didn't come into it.

I don't know how to quote multiple posts with the new format, oops.

Born in Germany, dad is Finnish, mum is German. He raced under a Finnish flag for many years.

Curiously, his Wiki states he switched to a German license for better sponsorship opportunities.

This was in the latest season of Drive to Survive. I can't recall how it went down - but there was for sure a desire on the part of the sponsor to have a German driver. That said, the sponsor is tiny and seems to be affiliated with Mick only (it may be on both cars but is only on Mick's suit). I would be surprised for that lone sponsor to have been able to decide who got the seat at Haas. Of course, only speculation from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Perfect example of how, outside the top teams at least, points are a poor metric for judging a driver's ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ive never watched drive to survive. Is it worth the time?

Absolutely.

It made a fan of F1 out of my wife (and many others).

As an avid F1 follower, I did spot some errors (e.g., using audio from one race on a totally different one, or clips from other races slotted in). They do craft story lines (e.g., Lando and Carlos hate each other) so that would be the only drawback of them for me.

Looks like Daniel isn't much of a fan of Lando either.

https://twitter.com/ESPNF1/status/1422548417415364613?s=19

Williams have let Dan Ticktum go from their development programme.

As many of us know, Dan infamously crashed into another driver by way of overtaking several others cars whilst under a safety car. He was banned for two years. He returned to single seater driving and managed to score 2 Macau wins (2017 & 2018).

He was later picked up by the Red Bull junior programme and placed in Super Formula. He was dropped by Red Bull part way into the 2019 season. I can't find the video now, but there was one post race interview where he whinged about his competitors & car.

He returned to European racing with F2 in 2020, in DAMS. At the end of the season, he snidely commented he'll move to a team where he can win races for 2021 and duly joined Carlin.

He was picked up by Williams in 2019, and now dropped.

No F2 weekend was complete without a radio outburst from Dan. Whilst he did mature over the last number of years, it's very hard to look past his 2015 antics and then his constant lashing out in interviews and on team radio.

His F2 car is pretty bare besides Williams sponsorship and a luxury property rental company, so I wonder if we'll see him back after the summer break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ticktum is some clown.

This will be as a result of his recent slagging off of Latifi on a live stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

All his own doing.

He was mouthing off about Lattifi on a live stream, someone made a comment about Lattifi being in F1 and him being in F2 and he kicked them off and went on a rant.

He would make Pastor Maldonado look like Senna.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement