Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Dublin didn't get out of 3rd gear. It will be there when they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Only 24,000 for a semi final that could sell out Croker.😥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭naughto

Hotels prices will go through the roof now aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tickets through clubs only according to Willie Joe on the blog

I booked a twin room with breakfast for the Saturday night in Jurys Parnell St for 109 euro last week on S Value getaway breaks. Also booked for same price in same hotel for the Saturday night of the final ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Firstly congratulations to Keith Higgins. Without doubt one of the finest players of the last 50 years. Fantastic to see him walk up the steps and pick up the cup in Croke park

There could be a little problem with our gear box😎 Or a bit of dirty oil.

A lot of people are writing Dublin off, and a lot of very loyal fans dont think we will get to final let alone win it. Im not sure either way to be honest. They have improved a little with each game and the injured players got game time today which gives them a boost but Im not sure it will be enough this year. There is a little spark missing. Cant put my finger on it.

The 4 teams left are the best 4 teams in Ireland for sure. How do you pick a winner? You can make a case for each. Thought Tyrone were superb yesterday. Kerry looked super, ok, against a terrible Cork side. Mayo were superb against Galway, great depth and balance to Mayo squad and it is showing. Any one of the 4 could win it which is great for the game.

Horan has done a terrific job with the Mayo squad. I think this is all round the best squad you have had. Their conditioning is superb and fitness was never an issue. There are ball players all over the pitch but not just ball players I think these lads have matured big time. While the championship was short last year lads got game time and you can see it in their play. AOS on edge of square (definitely closer to goal) is better for the team. That alone lets Mayo players play ball and uses your strengths for your team, the strong running and good passing. They can really mix it up much better now. There are very few capable of marking him. But I think now have a number of key players who can be match winners. Mullen, Ruane, Coen, O'Se, Durkan, Conroy.

Either way some good debates to be had in next 13 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Anyone any idea when tickets are going on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure you can make a serious case for Tyrone. Describing their performance in a one-point victory over Monaghan as 'superb' might be over-egging it a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Tickets not going on general sale as far as I know, distributed through the clubs I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo will never have a better chance of beating the DUBS...

Mayo ladies have beaten Galway on a scoreline

1-15 to 1-11

Bloody disaster.

Unlikely there'll be any returns for general sale on ticketmaster unlike the Leitrim game even with the ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win for the ladies that. Tough game.

Jaysis, 24k tickets through the clubs, chances of getting one is slim to none so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Mayo have a chance if they do not concede any goals and do not kick balls into the goalie's hands (Kildare kicked five or seven shots into Comerfords hands), Mayo have been guilty of doing this in Croke Park in the past. I watched recently the 2008 Final between Kerry and Tyrone, not one Tyrone hand pass went astray, against Galway a number of our hand passes were messed up. We have conceded goals against Westmeath and Galway when shots came back of the post and our defenders were not switched on, our forwards should also be alert to shots coming back of the post. Kerry this year put a big emphasis on psychology (it seems to be paying off), they have brought in Pat Falvey as a performance coach. I sincerely hope that Mayo management have a psychologist on board to help the Team in mental preparation. Sport Journalists and GAA people in general are saying that Kerry are hell-bent on winning the All Ireland this year, why are Mayo not hell-bent on winning the All Ireland also?

Exactly and that mightn't be a bad thing. Mayo have lads who stood up when needed in his absence. That with AOS inside has brought a whole new dimension to Mayo.

Make no mistake about it this Tyrone side is their best in a few years. What they do have are exceptionally skilled players all over the field. They are top class and Dooher/Logan have them playing much better. They can hold possession as good as Dublin and they are very direct when they attack. Mayo are bigger, as are Dublin but the physical side will be something they relish.

Remember they fielded last week without 4 first choice starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

It doesn't work like that unfortunately ,you cant flick it on like a switch

• Advertisement

Every year I hear the same thing about Tyrone

Every year I say they not only offer no goal threat but that they seem to have absolutely no interest in even creating goal chances .

Goals win games .

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Were journalists not saying the same thing about Kerry before last year's championship? And the year before? I'd imagine the Mayo players and management are also hell bent on winning an all Ireland. If Connacht medals were the goal, some of them wouldn't be sticking around.

There are plenty examples of teams just flicking a switch. Mayo in 2017 lost to Galway, stumbled through the qualifiers (needing extra time twice) and drew with Roscommon in the quarter final. 6 days later we beat them by over 20 points. Followed it up with a win against Kerry then.

Dublin's injuries are clearing up now so they are in a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Who says they aren't hell bent on winning the All Ireland?

They have done it for years, often the switch is flicked in the 3rd quarter.

If you cant see a difference in this Dublin team of 2021 from the Dublin team from 2015-2019 i give up

Mayo in 2017 were in there prime , Dublin are in serious decline its there for everyone to see , just look at there bench

6 and 8 point wins are not evidence of serious decline. Kerry couldn't even beat them in the league. Most of the Dublin team are in their prime if you look at their ages. They are well capable of upping it for the semi and final.

Agreed but there is something not quite right with them this year.Tad more pedestrian than normal.I am less inclined to buy the narrative that they are tailoring their schedule to peak when it most matters.Some of their players seem to have lost that yard of pace.

I have not seen all of their games but the Fenton's,Kilkenny's and O Callaghan's are no where near their pomp.

Sunday was as poor as I've seen Fenton play in manys a long day.

Dean Rock appeared to be well peeved off post his substitution ( competitive spirit ).He contributed handsomely,tad bizarre substitution.Mindful he's only back post injury.

The return of Small and Murchan are timely.Their bench does not strike the same level of fear although I am an admirer of the Mayo lads lol Basquels.

I am very confident that if we bring the level of our second half performance v Galway for 70 odd minutes with our athleticism and intensity we can beat them.

Will we score enough is the big question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

i'm pretty sure James horan said he wants to come fourth in the championship this year. fairly sure tyrone and dublin said the same or similar.... mad that its only Kerry that want to win.

Advertisement