Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm not convinced anyone knows what's going on at Boards anymore. From the very top to us users, it's a rudderless mess.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’m getting notifications of reported posts in the Sports forum (which I’m not a mod of). Have limited mod tools available to me in AH but I’ve been asked not to use them because I’m not a mod there either!

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lordy!! It's worse than I thought.

Although my report has now been acted upon, so something is working......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As always Wibbs, you sum up the position nicely.

I haven't been on in days but decided to have a quick look today to see if anything had improved or what the current state of the site is. From reading the last 5/6 pages of this thread and a quick browse (I say quick, but the site seems ridiculously slow still!), it seems very little!

To be honest, I don't care at this stage. I miss have this as my "go to" site for Irish discussion and the topics I used to watch and contribute to here, but this site is no longer fit for that purpose and I have no desire to play beta tester for months while Mark (who has been apparently saddled with the job) tries to untangle the mess Odhran (or whoever!) has made for him and the rest of us - assuming he sticks around that long of course!

Hopefully the "other site" continues to grow because I don't see Boards coming back from this - it's what? 3 weeks now and basic functions are still broken, inconsistent between mobile and desktop or just not there at all!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbh I only saw it cos I was reading this thread, I don't get any notifications for Reported Posts in the forums I mod since the update lol 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh!!

Well, that was kinda what I was hoping for when I posted here, I suppose....

Now, if anyone from the sports Olympics thread could perform a similar service if they see this, I'd be very grateful (as would a lot of others, I suspect!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Probably because getting anyone on here to agree a consensus on anything is a Herculean task.

Site is working fine for me on mobile and desktop, hoping it's doing the same for others by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I read a bit further back and found Ohran's post where he actually engaged with some of the more repeated feedback and posted a very revealing point... this was all about cost reduction.

Despite the talk about how unstable and hard to maintain the old site was, the bottom line is that they just couldn't afford to maintain/host it is my take. Vanilla is a much cut down, hosted version that we all have to live with if "boards.ie" is to continue.

Not a good sign and I had no idea that things were apparently so bad financially that they've jumped to this unfit-for-purpose platform, and compounded by the loss of goodwill and posting from the users generally since the changeover.

I also still wonder what'll happen when Vanilla change/update the core software at some point - will all the efforts by Mark and co break, given the amount of customisation that seems to be going on? If so that'll only hasten the decline.

Put these things together and I think the closure of this site seems inevitable in the near future :( There's no money, the platform isn't suitable for the requirement, and the users have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The ‘new site’ is so simple to use. Handy little button for dark mode, all laid out neatly and easy to navigate. Where did it all go wrong here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I imagine its because that new site doesn’t have 20 years of data and untold number of patches and tweaks to replicate.

• Advertisement

I think that the former point is debunked by the fact that some very large communities use the same software and it’s just as user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Oh, so this site can’t even resemble the ‘new site’ because of 20 years of data? I’m not sure how that works could you explain it? Serious question.

Its all a bit sad really.

I'm trying to be positive, however while I've managed to "follow" all my old forums, navigating to them is impossible. As a result I've had to bookmark threads I'm posting in as I come across them. What this means, however, is that I am no longer able to engage with non-bookmarked/new threads on forums I follow. I've seen activity on every.single.forum take a serious nose dive likely for the same reasons.

I used to spend hours each day checking in and posting to many different forums. Now I've found myself going a day or two without even thinking about boards rather than wondering what x or y said in response to something I posted

While I have remained optimistic and posted bugs and feature requests and helped others with the transition, what has become obvious is that for every 1-2 posters complaining here or on the other bugs threads, there is likely close to 60-80 just giving up on boards.ie and not saying anything

I think this has gone on too long now for things to come back to what they were which is sad. If navigation is fixed within the next week or so we might see boards hobble on for another few years, if not, I'd be surprised if it lasts 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The bigger issue is that Vanilla seems to have sold this as a platform that could be easily adjusted to look and act like the old Boards. The realisation that is can't and won't is new, so there's either been a colossal oversell on Vanilla's part or misunderstanding on Boards part.

Given the scramble to adjust features I'd guess it's the former and I have huge sympathy for Niamh and Mark trying to deal with all the issues and complaints.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well if the new site had 20 years of data all trying to navigate patches and tweaks it would no doubt become buggy over time.

the new site you are referring too. Is a clean slate and is running with no issues. But if it has to sustain the volume boards has over the past 20 years it will inevitably run into issues. It’s like comparing an iPhone 5 with full storage to a new phone right out of the box. The new one is going to run so much better but over time will begin to lag

Do I think migrating to Vanilla was the right move? absolutely not.

Do I think comparing here to a brand new site is fair as well. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Thanks for this workable I suppose but much preferred the old way they did it.

Also it has a number beside my Bookmarks too which I think is new. I thought once I went into one of my bookmarks it might decrease the number by 1 as this would be the way the old boards worked but not looking likely.

Definitely not spending anywhere near the same amount of time on boards as I used to, is that the general consensus among users?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I know nothing of technology but the old site was a fantastic and enjoyable resource and the new site is beyond terrible. It's just a real shame and a huge loss.

Threads being shut down by moderators about issues with emails being shown during the early part of the changeover tells you all you need to know here. Plough on with users a long distant bottom of the pile.

I don't think we could ever see other user's emails though? It was more that we could see our own on our profile pages and some posters thought it was visible to all.

A mod even confirmed on an earlier thread that they couldn't see them.

Maybe they could and maybe they couldn’t but given how they behave on here most of the time I’d be wary of taking what a mod here says as gospel.

• Advertisement

This has all got me thinking too about the new account closure mechanism. Taking it directly out of the users hands and making you request it over email raises serious questions about them being able to close accounts that weren’t requested as they feel like or on the whim of a moderator. Zero control or transparency for the user.

Is there anything that can stop Boards.ie staff closing accounts and pretending a user asked for it to be?

That's just dressing up a grievance against some mods as a privacy concern.

What do you think some mods would do with your email if they could see it? Spend all their free time signing you up to newsletters and dodgy sites?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just to be clear, you think boards.ie staff are going to close people's accounts for the craic or for revenge or something?

As far as I know, the office was always able to close people's accounts, delete their data etc. In fact, I'd be more worried if an online platform had no ability to close people's accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

The site is still fundamentally unusable for me. The two primary methods I used to navigate about the five or six forums I would have tended to use

"My Forums" and the dropdown menus... are still broken. I do not know how anyone can use it without either of these.

Further I see the b.ie people fixing what they say are other issues ... I must be crazy but if its not fixing these kind of things I really do wonder what people think is important.

Some of them would definitely be a worry for some users yes. Not many but 1 is too many.

Given the behaviour of some very senior moderators here over the years here I would, yes. It’s a long standing thing that’s been questioned here many times by countless users.

Will it happen? I don’t know, and there’s a good chance it wouldn’t, but I’d question why it needed to be changed then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mods have never been able to see users' email addresses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reg you keep saying moderators. I can tell you the mods have feck all powers to close accounts and never have and our facilities have dropped off just as badly since this carcrash changeover. You and me both know how much of a pain it is to navigate this new Boards, now imagine trying to moderate that. I honestly don't know how the guys with fast moving forums are doing it. We're all in the same boat. That's sinking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think the old close account feature is just another casualty of the functions that aren't supported by/available with Vanilla, rather than a deliberate and underhanded tactic.

I'm sure the Boards staff have enough on their plates without processing these requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I would love to see the stats on the number of posts pre- and post- changeover.

As I've previously stated, my Boards usage has plummeted these past weeks.

I've given up on the mobile sites. It's multiple more taps to get where I want. I haven't used it in many days.

With the weekend & the bank holiday, I've not been on my work laptop so have not checked Boards.ie since I logged off from work on Friday. I'm only on it now because I happen to be on my personal laptop to check out some other bits.

Even while I'm on it, I've skipped over all the posts in this thread from this weekend in this thread. I'm also only clicking into a handful of threads compared to normal.

This changeover has really reduced my enjoyment of this site.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement