Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I mainly come on now to see if it has been fixed, which isn’t going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ditto the last few posts. I come on to check a couple perennial megathreads and then I’m out for the day. There is no joy in browsing the website, it’s frustrating to navigate but what’s more, nobody is posting enough to make the effort worth it, you spend all those taps and clicks getting to a forum just to see nothing new in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Exactly, without My Forums and a dropdown menu, it is an absolute nightmare to navigate.

And in all sincerity I simply do not believe that this is something that could take so long to fix if it was considered a top priority.

As I said a few days ago, it is beyond belief that something so fundamental can be left unresolved for so long. Somewhere along the line, somebody is guilty of either genuinely appalling incompetence, or simply not being too bothered.

My assumption would be that any duration of contracted fixes and amendments is close to an end. At some point, Vanilla will say this is our product and you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not sure if emails were at a default setting on the changeover to be viewed by all, certainly hope not.

On the other hand, were PM's available to be seen by all under the 'Activities' tab...which no longer exists for users.

Well, that's not good. How long was that like that for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don’t know why people keep saying boards traffic is down. I’ve never seen feedback so busy 😜

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I would have some serious privacy concerns, my thread was shut and a message posted that it would be reopened if I provided proof.

Make of this what you will:

It appears that email addresses where publicly shown at some point, may well have been rectified now. That’s if you take the poster at face value, honestly can’t think of a reason for someone to make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The activities page showed anything that was posted to a user's wall. Posting to someone's wall is like the old profile page messages except everyone could see it in activities.

Some posters had sent messages to boards staff and obviously thought it was private as personal details were included. This was flagged and I'd assume that why activities has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Ok that's better, good act on boards part. So posting on the wall was visible, not PMs.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

This new notification system is pure feckless.

Logging in to over 200 notifications with no organization is futile. I had reduce my bookmarks from the many threads I have an interest in, to limiting bookmarks to only 4 threads, but even then the 48 notifications listed now is for only 1 thread, yet all lumped together in notifications. Scrolling thru the list of 48 notifications just to see if someone posted in another thread is a bit redundant... On legacy, the thread notifications were organized and separated out by thread - 48 notifications meant a new post in 48 different threads, and you could easily see which thread had a new post - can this be fixed, please?

Because of this, I post much less in a variety of places. Not sure which is more off-putting - scrolling thru hundreds of notifications or skipping bookmarks entirely and hunting down each thread in this new hidden vanilla maze. Sadly, it's becoming easier to just avoid Boards altogether.

I keep thinking "discussions" means threads you postmarked, instead they are just a long list of all the old threads you started - which is old news and a waste, yet VERY ORGANIZED - Can you switch these around, to make them work better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've switched off all notifications (I think!) apart from PM's,and occasionally I get one if someone quotes me in a reply - it's a toss up whether it's the swiftly-vanishing bottom corner pop-up, or a red one in the bell, which I may or may not be able to clear depending on the day and, presumably, the alignment of the stars.

My reading/browsing/use of threads has been decimated - looking at the bookmarks menu, I'd say there's about the top 10 that I would regularly, or even occasionally, pop into - everything else is a once-a-day or less gander down the main boards.ie home page and if something catches my eye I'll have a look.

I can't even remember properly in detail how I used to use the old site, but I was all over a whole load of threads on random topics, and an auld browse when I was bored could eat up a couple of hours easy.... now it's just the same few threads, and hoping that something new will have been posted (and after 10pm that's a forlorn hope). When the Olympics end, I'd say once a day will do for checking 😪

It's very sad.

@Deja Boo if you're on mobile turn your notifications off for everything except PMs and if you've been mentioned in a thread, and just use your bookmarks. You'll see a dot beside the thread name if there's any new posts. No one need 50 notifications for one thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,876 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What's with the jail bars over some posters profile pictures. I assume it meant banned but they are still able to post

@Leg End Reject - sorry no matter how many times I click the blessed "Quote button, it won't add the quote in here... I am only on desktop with chromebook. It doesn't seem to look that way on desktop, but I appreciate your advice!

Bookmarks on desktop are an issue. Mentioning me on thread got overwhelming, so I cut that off (and most everything else, including pms) from the notification page (in hopes of decreasing the number and confusion)... I agree no one needs 50 notifications for one thread when I really just NEED notification for 1 thread in particular, the one I am hosting, but are interested in the others, randomly. The hoops we have to jump thru is kinda ridiculous. Vanilla was clearly made for minimal business interaction, not multiple interests like Boards.

@HeidiHeidi - my bell is for post notifications, and the envelope is for pms (even though I dont have them set for notifications, new pms still show up there)... I do agree with you there, sad indeed.

I just switched over to the desktop site again, while it looks better it has much fewer features. It seems to be a case of 'Seek and ye might find'.

Not good enough at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

On mobile, picture icon, Edit your profile, notification preferences. There are a whole set of categories preferences below the main preferences. Scroll down to see more and also scroll right to type of notification. Uncheck pretty much all of them. Then save preferences right at the bottom. I was getting tonnes of nonsense notifications until I spotted the other list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What's wrecking my head is the difference between the desktop and the touch versions - it's like they're completely separate websites.

I got a notification because DejaBoo quoted me/mentioned me above - clicked into it, read it, notification on desktop cancelled. But it was still there when I went into the touch site on the phone. Do the sites relate/talk to each other at all?

I switch numerous times a day between the two, and it's even more time wasted trying to get my head around whichever one I'm on.

I hate the fact that the other person can add others to the conversation without your prior knowledge or permission.

It's a feature that will probably be abused to stir trouble. So poster x could PM poster y to say "that leg end one is really getting on my nerves with all her moaning in feedback" and poster y could add me to get me to kick off.

Not being able to delete PMs is an issue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭sporina

it is, but the results are v v poor.. what I really wanna be able to do it "search" my own username; and check my previous posts (within a specific thread - we could do this on the old website)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Because there are a couple of childish members here who don't like what I have to say so they got trigger happy with the Flag button 🙈 🙉 🙊 😀

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Seems to be a distinct lack of communication from boards hq currently.

The lack of communication is feeding into the ill feelings about this balls up. No point crying over spilt milk now, the migration has been done, but some updates on resolution of problems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In fairness it is a bank holiday weekend.

there was an update on Friday. I imagine we’ll get one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Somewhere along the long, long list of stuff, that report function needs sorting out, assuming Boards lasts that long ☹️

It's quite amusing to see what's being flagged as spam and abuse on your own profile though.

I can't decide if it's someone with a grudge or an incredibly petty mind at this stage.

I'll soon be able to open a golf course. ⛳ 😂

On the topic of flags, someone is having a field day over in the Harry and Meghan thread in CA/IMHO.

What flag button?!!

oh I see it now, could it be someone just scrolling in that area and it inadvertently gets clicked, or even trying to click 'quote' or 'like' and missing? Sheesh, ah no - I hope its not me! If so, many apologies, new spectacles are due at end of the month, until then will try scrolling on the far left side instead and lay off the like and quote buttons (which dont work half the time anyway.)

Good lord, I think I just flagged myself as my mouse scrolled past! This is ridiculous!!!!

No, when you click it you have to select Spam, Abuse or Report, so it's definitely intentional.

Ding, ding, ding!

The Reject Resort 18 hole golf course is now open! 😂

⛳ ⛳ ⛳

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I still don't understand why on the main page or the main page on each forum the most recent poster and time of post can't be added. It's a very basic piece of functionality that really hinders the useability of this site.

• Advertisement

Oh that is good to know, cos I thought for sure my shaky hands and sight flagged everyone, without knowing!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement