Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Is Hamilton's head completely gone now that he has some competition? He put it in the wall at Imola, he threw away a victory that was handed to him on a silver platter in Baku, he ploughed into Verstappen at Silverstone, he wasn't confident enough to qualify in a shootout at Hungary despite having the fastest car so he decided to interfere with Max instead and ultimately his own lap was 2 seconds off his previous best because he made such a mess of his warm up while focussing on dirty tactics, and then today in a race that he was restarting from first with both Red Bulls, both McLarens, Bottas and Leclerc all out of play, he still managed to throw away the win and get beaten by an Alpine and Aston Martin thanks to making the most piss-poor decision making on the entire grid, when it was plain to see for even the likes of Mazepin that slicks were the tyre to be on. Then he couldn't even stand up on the podium because he was so winded by having to do some overtaking in the race.

It's amazing how he keeps falling upwards but surely it can't keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lol. His head is gone? He made 40 odd points over his championship rival in the last 2 races. Scored a win and a second place, came from thr back of the field to 3rd in Hungary which is notoriously hard to overtake and Took control of the championship again.

His head is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

He made up 40 points because his rival got 1 after being shunted off the track twice. Should have been 1st but couldn't pass Schumacher, Gasly et Al and more importantly Alonso for three or four laps. I think he made 5 or 6 places due to others pitting when he jumped onto the hard tire early and then the mediums gave him another advantage when the rest were on old hards.

I think the fact that he doesn't have such an extreme advantage with that car anymore it shows he's not "the greatest of all time".

And the complaining on the radio, throwing his team under the bus, leaving the magic on twice (brakes and diff) and the OTT celebration in Silverstone shows he isn't all mental strength as he makes out.

You post well ordinarily, make good points and are knowledgeable, you are obviously not an idiot, I think all the recent anti-hamilton posts recently have pushed you into that post 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Here's a mad idea. Lets all talk about tarnishing Lewis's legacy in the dedicated thread. "Lets all talk about Lewis"

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057889570/lets-all-talk-about-lewis#latest

I dislike Hamilton and really wish he wasn't doing well and I wish Max was there to challengebhim to the finish in the last 2 races. But...

He came from behind in both races to finish very strongly in 1st and came from last to 3rd (2nd in terms of points) at a track which is known to be hard to overtake. The notion that he's lost his head is not borne out in the evidence on track. You need to stretch for things like suggesting he celebrated too much after winning his home GP to make that point. I'll probably just stick with the on-track evidence and on track he's doing fine.

Is he the greatest of all time? I don't know and I've never gone in for that kind of hyperbole.

Is his current form the best of his career? Probably not. I expect he's past his peak - he's 36 which is usually past a racing driver's peak.

Is he driving perfectly and making no mistakes? No. No driver does that in reality. That only happens in the retelling of the story for sensationalism's sake. All driver's make mistakes.

Has he lost his head? Absolutely no on-track evidence to suggest he has lost his head. He's plugging away and getting some excellent results.

Do you think he's lost his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

On track evidence for some, "popularity" for others.

Yeah, you're right. Isn't it always the way? If a driver is well liked, they'll say he's doing great. If he's disliked they'll say he's lost his head.

I think its difficult to claim either of the two.

I thinks its more that he's now in a position where we see his weaknesses overshadow any perceived strengths and I don't think he he can fully cope with not being out front and out of trouble from the very start, it's hard to know if this was always the case but it can be confused with "losing the head" I suppose. The reason i used the celebrations was because to me it was very over exaggerated in comparison to others.

I don't think the places he's gained in races and points he has reclaimed is a counter for him being mentaly solid on track because the misfortune of others have had a huge play in where he's gotten to now.

I haven't suggested he's particularly mentally solid, or outside the range of his normal mental solidity. I only said he's plugging away and getting and getting some excellent results.

He has had some good fortune in those races too. Being in the fastest car brings some "luck" and drivers make a lot of their own luck. These's nothing to suggest mental fragility or that he has "lost his head". Who will claim Ocon wasn't extremely lucky yesterday and who will begrudge Ocon his luck? Not me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

This is quietly turning out to be a great little season with plenty of controversy but now it's time for the summer break, spa next.

Its funny how one weekend can essentially make a teams season, Williams pretty much guaranteed themselves p9 and perhaps p8 as alfa aren't at much in the constructors barring another similar weekend crops up.

Bottas with a 5 place grid penalty for spa which opens the window for Max and redbull to try retake the initiative and lead in the championship.

• Advertisement

Ah if plugging away is what you meant. Its just this...

[Quote]He made 40 odd points over his championship rival in the last 2 races. Scored a win and a second place, came from thr back of the field to 3rd in Hungary which is notoriously hard to overtake and Took control of the championship again.[/quote]

...made it seem like he was doing more than just plugging away.

Ocon was lucky to a certain extent but I think his driving and alonsos driving to help him stay out front out weighed the luck when you think of the cars and drivers he still had behind him.

But all those things I highlighted, are true, aren't they? And none of them suggest he has "lost the head", do they?

This is just a case of the facts not lining up with the hyperbolic statement that he has "lost the head" the reality is that he's plugging away and the reality is that he has gotten 2 excellent results in the last 2 races as outlined in the quote above. He has been lucky, and Ocon was lucky yesterday. Luck happens in sport.

If he's lost his head and achieved all that in the last 2 races, imagine what he'll achieve if he ever finds his head...

I didn't say he lost his head.

What I'm saying is, while what you said is true you can't use them them to counter a claim that his mentality isn't impacted because there were bigger factors at play in those other than Hamiltons mind set.

If it was a case were Hamilton was driving to at a level that was putting other drivers under so much pressure they were making the mistakes he has made and he was capitalising on the back of those then fair enough but that's not the case.

That's how I see it anyway and that's what I would accept as a valid points to counter a suggestion that his mentality and concentration might not be all there, not completely gone, but there you go.

Sure. There isn't evidence that he's "lost his head". It's just something a poster said. The evidence is that he's in pretty average form by his own standard (which is pretty high), and his results in the last 2 races have been excellent both in terms of race results and relative points difference to Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's no way Hamilton has "lost his head" that's nonsense. Long covid could definitely slow him down though. Hopefully that doesn't happen and the crashing stops and we get a good battle. RB are potentially in a spot now with engines and the cost cap though. The engine in Perez's car has to be replaced now and do we know the condition of the engine in Max's car after Silverstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The engine from Silverstone was changed before the race on Sunday despite it being used in practice and qualy. They’ll likely get a penalty later in the season as the new engine won’t last the remainder of the season but Horner was saying on Sunday morning that if they can fix the Silverstone engine without using new parts then they can use it again without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Thomhic312

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hamilton hasn’t lost anything IMO, but when he’s desperate to get by he can be overly aggressive and make mistakes (seen with Albon, Russell & Verstappen most recently).

While watching Alonsos awesome defence against him yesterday I thought there was a good probability of a crash, I could see Hamilton leaving a wheel in to nudge Alonso out of the way if it went on much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

RB have plenty to be pissed off at, they are probably going to get penalties due to both Mercs smashing into them. I think they found a crack in Verstappens engine and they had to change it, Perez too now has to take an additional one. Along with the costs on that and the penalties, that isn't ideal.

These last 2 races remind me of Austria and Germany in 2000. Schumacher was punted off in the opening laps at both races, we had a new winner in Barrichello.

This season has a feel to it of that. I still reckon it is a slight car advantage to RB, Verstappen was handy in the Sprint race at Silverstone and he didn't exactly get an representative run yesterday.

Spicies it all up for the next few races. Still feel there might be more drama at some point.

• Advertisement

“All of us are in Formula 1 for a reason, because we’re good drivers and we know where to brake, where to judge braking zones and so on, especially when it’s wet, especially on the first lap of the race,” Norris told Motorsport.com.

“But obviously some misjudged it completely.

“That’s the annoying thing, you expect a little bit more from when you’re racing those top guys at the front of the field.

“But also they don’t race that often, they’re quite on their own, and not in the pack getting in dirty air and things as much as we are.

“So maybe they just don’t experience it, and they need to learn that a little bit more.”

Lando Norris with some serious shade towards Bottas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

1 race ban for Bottas and Stroll would have been more appropriate. Stewards said they took into consideration that it was wet which I thought was utterly hilarious. These guys get paid millions and are supposed to be the best in the world the conditions shouldn't be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Race bans would be a bit over the top but starting from the pit lane might be more appropriate than 5 place penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

One interesting thing to note is that Russell has never beaten his Williams team mate over the course of a season*

• In 2019 Kubica got 1 point to Russells 0 points
    • In 2020 Latifi had three 11th place finishes compared to Russells one 11th place finish.
    • Russell needs at least another 8th place finish to beat Latifi this season.

*Excluding his points finish when he drove for Mercedes.

No one would say that Russell has not been miles better than his Williams team mates but a lot of bad luck and/or throwing it away on race day has cost him big.

Russell and Verstappen could write right books on bad luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

Funnily enough it was Max who was the closest to causing an accident overtaking when he was desperate to pass Schumacher.

9 times out of 10 he gets a puncture with that kind of contact, he was very lucky to get away with it but those are the margins these guys work off of. A split second here, a millimetre there and the race can be gone

What I find hilarious is that they said they dish out punishments based on actions rather than consequences. So people locking up with no-one around should be leading to penalties from now on.

Stroll has enough form to justify a race ban for yesterday. Bottas is just pathetic but hasn't taken too many people out lately.

Ah, you're pretending you don't understand that the penalty is for breaking a rule such as causing a collision not just for locking up. Did you really not know that simply locking up doesn't break the rules or were you just pretending you didn't know?

Wasn't Grosjean banned for the consequences of his crash at Spa? Was it not deemed worse due to him taking out 2 championship contenders at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I can't find the stewards' decision, however, this article includes statements from the stewards which indeed identify that he took out championship contenders.

The track conditions are cited as a mitigating factor for Valterri.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021%20Hungarian%20Grand%20Prix%20-%20Offence%20-%20Car%2077%20-%20causing%20a%20collision.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement