Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What? You mean "let them race"? The mantra we hear repeated ad nauseum under normal circumstances when Hamilton isn't involved in the crash or hasn't benefited form the crash?

Oh lads, it wasn't a terrible breech of the rules (thats the thing the penalties are given out for).

Maybe it's time to just get over it.

I agree that it's just posturing to influence future decisions. Anyone follow the Lions in South Africa will recognise the SA director of Rugby doing exactly same thing today.

Should the change the way the give out penalties to match the consequence of the infringement and not the actual infringement itself? Or maybe they should match the penalty to the driver and car combination because penalties affect different drivers differently. Hamilton can make up a 10 second penalty in his Mercedes but a 10s penalty has a much bigger consequence for a driver in a lesser car in the midfield. And how do tou penalised a driver like Mazepin who is all alone at the back of the grid anyways? So how should the hand out penalties?

I think they should just keep it the way it is now. No rules are perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Don't think so, Hamilton tends to fold under pressure. Red Bull are right to notch it up a few decimals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im all for letting them race. but it has to be inside the rules. your not doing your job if your not on the edge though

hamilton was well outside the rules. . he could not make the corner without hitting max.

i think the penalty was very light compared to other penalties. if lewis was breaking late and locked up the penalty would be far but he was no where near makeing a pass . it was a dangerous moove that was probably going to take out the driver in front. which it did

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The battle for fifth in the Constructors Championship is tight. Alpine are on 40 points, Aston Martin are on 48 points and Alpha Tauri are on 49 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well outside the rules? What's in your rule book always give way to Verstappen?

No one can prove that Hamilton couldn't make that corner, especially not using an old Red Bull on hard tires with an ex F1 driver.

If the same accident had occurred between two cars lower down the grid, if there was any penalty at all, it would have been 5 seconds at most.

I do think it's both sad and hilarious that Red Bull delayed Albon going to DTM for a filming day in an old Red Bull driving Hamiltion's line through the corner and then tried to submit that as evidence.

We'll see what happens this weekend now after their smack from the stewards for throwing around allegations.

That's pretty much what exact what happened. He went into the corner too steep and understeered into Max. He was given a penalty which reflected that mistake.

If now isn't the time to get over it, when do you think that time will be?

the rule book is prity clear that you dont drive into your oponent.

what do you mean that it cannot be proven. its a fact. that is what happened. he didnt make the corner because he hit max. if he could have made it then he would have.

if max had done that to lewis i would say the same.

Max could have backed out or not turned in so hard.

I remember a certain team principle also suggesting that in the same position with Stroll his driver should be considered up the inside and the other driver should back out.

It's hardly "well outside" the rules every time two cars touch.

Anyway I think Lewis and Merc have moved on, Red Bull meanwhile is filing appeals and running private test days to create new evidence.

Seems like Merc are living rent free in the Red Bull team managements heads at least, Max himself may be smarter than that.

Either way we'll be hearing a lot more about it this weekend thanks to Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭McFly85

Mercedes are the same, they’re the first team to run to the FIA to complain if they think a competitor is outside the rules.

I’m sure RB knew the stewards wouldn’t entertain the “findings”, that whole video thing was to stop Hamilton from leaving a wheel in in a similar situation in future.

Its a shame it has to be this way, RB have done a stellar job at taking the fight to Mercedes this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Hamilton proved it himself by understeering into the back of Max his car. He could not have made that turn in the position he was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The appeal was laughable anyway. Hopefully both teams can put away the handbags now.

max doesnt need to back out. he is ahead. its his corner. he has every right to take the racing line.

but he does open the steering to give lewis more room but lewis is far to agresive and plows into him

im not saying every crash is well out side the rules. but this one is. most crashs are a slight slip up and go outside the rules a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This debate has done more laps then the actual Grand Prix.

Without a Black Flag the stewards had as much power to prevent Lewis winning the Grand Prix as a referee has to prevent a 10 man team winning a match after sending a player off for a bone breaking tackle.

This is it. It wasn't the Stewarts job to stop Hamilton winning the race. It was just their job to give a penalty commensurate with understeering and causing a collision - which is a relatively minor infringement.

I think the fact that Hamilton went on to win the race makes some people feel the penalty wasn't harsh enough and the penalty should have been judged to make sure Hamilton couldn't win the race. But that's not the point of penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Netflix will be releasing a Michael Schumacher documentary on the 15th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I sure am looking forward to that Schumacher doc. Nearly thirty years ago when he made his F1 debut at Spa.

Ocon is using a new chassis this weekend and BBC is discussing the impact of changing chassis both psychological and otherwise. Ocon seems to be going well again this practice session. Worth watching how he goes this week.

Bottas and Hamilton changed chassis a few races ago and it didn't seem to have any impact on Hamilton but Bottas has been on better form since then. Do we know if they have both kept the chassis from the swap or was the chassis Bottas complained about replaced? BBC report that Mercedes used to always report the chassis numbers in their pre weekend press report, but have stopped reporting that detail since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Didn't Ocon get the new chassis for Silverstone and score P9. Seemed to have some positive effect for him. Hard to know if it was technical or mental, maybe a bit of both

I didn't know he had it in Silverstone. Silverstone was a better race for him finishing on pace with Alonso (just 4 seconds behind).

BBC said it's a bit of a last resort when they can't find anything actually wrong with the car and maybe it is psychological or maybe there is something worn with the car that they just can't detect but the driver can feel it and loses faith in the car. Very hard to know. The real test would be to tell the driver it's a new chassis but not actually change it.

• Advertisement

If you are a motorsport fan with some free time in Cologne the Michael Schumacher Private Car collection is worth a visit.

Featuring the Jordan 191 and free to visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

It's racing. Hamilton went in a bit hot and couldn't make the apex. Happens all the time in other racing, 2 and 4 wheel. We want overtaking and sometimes things like this will happen.

A smarter driver might have let the place go, especially being so far ahead, possibly gaining the place back later but at least keeping most of the points difference. Is it Brundle that says the one "to finish 1st, 1st you gotta finish".

I don't think agree that Max would have been smarter to give the place up as I think there are bigger principles at play (such as who will yield first). And even though Max came off second best in this event, he showed that he will not yield, as will Hamilton not yield first.

And that's great for the fan to know. But I completely agree that it's racing. Some people let their hatred of Hamilton convince them that he planned the whole thing or that he predicted the whole outcome except that Max would survive or whatever sensational nonsense they arrive at. But the fact is that it was racing and it will be one of the highlights of the season and will be one of the few moments of this season to be recalled in a decade or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Liam2590

sorry if this has been asked already but is that sprint qualifying they had at silverstone being tried again in later rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Next one is at Monza for the Italian GP. Then one more round TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Liam2590

That last lap from Hamilton is a complete nonsense. Never mind Perez not making it, Hamilton was 1.2 down after the first 2 sectors and there was no reason for him to continue and finish it. Then he lost another second in the last sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭barryribs

If anyone has a million or so to spare, one of Villeneuve's 96 Williams is up for sale.

https://speedmastercars.com/vehicle/williams-fw18-3-renault-3-5l-v10-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭barryribs

Both times this year you've rolled this out, he's got on the podium. Do it again before Spa

• Advertisement

Ha! Yeah he was incredibly lucky today again. Points in the bag though.

I was referring to last year and the last few years when people were making excuses left, right and centre for his embarrassing performance level. Has improved to mid-table this year though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement