Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Looking Ship Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is pretty one sided.

The Chimera returns to the STO ship selection while the Steamrunner aint out of steam yet.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Next Up!

Constellation Class

VS

Klingon Bird of Prey

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Bird of Prey for me. What other ship could travel back through time, crush a garbage can, deflect a harpoon, kidnap George and Gracie and crash into the sea all in one film? It was the real hero in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I like the Constellation class.

But Bird of Prey gets the vote... in that image it projects menace and threat like a predator.

This is a rather neat version of the Constellation from STO

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/8/8f/Constellation_Type_6.jpg

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Bird of Prey it's the perfect design for its role and seemingly the Klingon version of the Miranda class with the century long service life. Constellation isn't bad but just not good enough here.

Kirk and co. got really lucky with the HMS Bounty, D'oq B'rown being the former captain meant it was probably already set up for time travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bird of Prey, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm a sucker for the Bird of Prey. Beyond the Jem Hadar attack ship, by far the most dangerous looking ship in Trek, but also oddly beautiful and even managed a carry a whole Trek movie really well (when Trek was *always* on the Enterprise until that point)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It also felt in keeping with the Klingons, especially regards their status as Space Vikings; like longboats coming up your river, seeing that ship profile would be emotive, and that you felt was the point. While Trek's races could be culturally very simplistic, it didn't always show in their ship design; the Klingons being an exception unlike, say, the Cardassians - whose ships didn't really convey any sense of the crews' personality IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bird of Prey.

Constellation Class looks like it's trying too hard

Another one sided match!

The Constellation goes like the Stargazer!

And The Bird of Prey lives to stalk another day.

• Advertisement

Next Up

Prometheus class

VS

Akira Class

I like the Prometheus as a tactical concept but in terms of looks...

The Akira.

No contest, Akira. From the right angle, like the ones in the gifs, she's gorgeous. It's also weird in that the class leader is the only ship in Star Trek I know of named after a personal name as opposed to a family name. The real reason was it was named after the anime film but in universe it's odd.

The Prometheus isn't a bad looking ship the multivector thing is cool but I have to imagine if it was ever mass produced the ships would end up like my Armada II separated Galaxy classes with mismatched sections left over after a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Akira class for me as it is one of my all time favorite Star Trek ships and ots just looks beautiful yey powerful too as well as been fast and maneuverable.

The Prometheus is a good concept but it's just not the best looker here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Akira class.

Point of order. The Klingon Bird of prey contains at least 2 classes, of vastly differing sizes. Lumping them all into one is out of order and it should be disqualified. 🤣

I hate ships with 4 nacelles in any case, always feels like a lazy choice (even more nacelles!!), but the Akira class is simply a superior looking ship. Has a great shape to it and something of the Miranda about it too...

....Class

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually the Prometheus has 5 nacelles one is hiding and at least it had a good reason for having them all for its multi vector assault mode when it splits into three separate ships.

So technically it's really just 3 ships together two with 2 nacelles and one with 1 nacelle.

I have no problem with ships that have 4 nacelles thats much better than 1 or 3 or 5 which all just look awkward.

I think Gene Roddenberry would agree with me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Lot of love for the Akira Class,

It survives to the next round!

Roll up, roll up....... Next up!

Defiant Class

VS

D’deridex-class Romulan warbird

• Advertisement

Arg....finally a hard one.

I think I have to go for the good old D’deridex. When that giant first appeared in front of the Enterprise D, it was clear that the Romulans and TNG in general were not f*cking around. She was a killer, and clearly alien.

It has to be D’deridex class. The Defiant class is good looking in a scuffed up tomboy sort of way but the D’deridex class belongs on a runway.

Am I taking this starship tinder thing too far?

A lot of the Romulan tech around that era looked good. I think their disruptors are the nicest looking side arms outside of the TOS film phases.

Shoot I'm not sure. This is the first properly hard decision. The Defiant is a great little battleship that looks like something built by a Federation not fúcking around. While the D’deridex arguably the closest to the Bird of Prey for something iconic in its array of alien vessels.

Gosh I don't know.

I'm going to be the contrarian here, just to stand up for a ship that got its moment on the big screen, but still snarkily maligned by Timer; Defiant for me.

Torn also... cruising along the Defiant doesnt look like much at all compared to the warbird.

But in action swooping through blasting away it is shock and awe... so vote goes to the Defiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Defiant, a proper, purpose built warship for Starfleet.

The warbird is a kinda silly design with the mass of empty space in the middle.

:O How dare you!

I dunno, I kind of liked the middle gap. Made the design interesting.

Never really thought about it, and I'm sure the canon has derived some explanation, but maybe it's a safety feature; separate the engine as from the command and crew quarters as possible, the gap acting as a spacial barrier in case of emergency - without sacrificing capability.

Romulan designs, up until the 2009 reboot and STP anyway, seem to always have the nacelles relatively far apart for the size of their ships so I see the D'deridex as the final evolution of that and the all or nothing warship armour concept, ocean going warships obviously can't have massive holes but starships can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_or_nothing_(armor)

Post edited by Evade on

I'm thinking also that it was also a safety feature. Also adding that with a large hole in the middle, there was a good chance that even a good shot might go right though and hit nothing. I kind of assumed that the design was related to the Quantum singularity warp drive that was unique to the Romulans (and forgotten by ST: Discovery...but never mind that).

• Advertisement

The Defiant narrowly beats the sneaky Romulan Warbird!

Defiant makes it through to the next round!

Advertisement