Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Phenomenal. All others looked like they were at max exertion yet she just cruised around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Many teams with considerable upgrades. The Dutch have Bol and Klaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I haven't got the splits yet, but I suspect Ireland might regret having replaced Mawdsley with Becker.

Still an excellent achievement to have made an Olympic final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Three Brits in the 800m final is incredible, fair play to them. I think at least one of them will medal.

Almanza though, had the second fastest time in the world coming to Tokyo and out in the SF's. I think she's never actually made a global final? Mad with the times she runs.

Women's 100m final coming up, would love Ta Lou to win this. Seems she's always the bridesmaid but never the bride. Would love Kambundji to sneak on the podium too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hope RTE player show women's 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rte not showing. That is absurd.

On BBC

Thompson defends and equals the 'real' world record.

I knew mid to low 10.6s....

Clean sweep for the Jamaicans.

Yeah talking about the hockey after the third quarter. Could quite easily have switched over.

• Advertisement

Absolutely...

Nonsense. 100 women's final, one of the premier events in the games, and RTE stick with a 3rd quarter of a hockey match...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Looks like the Jamaican sprinters really don't get on well

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Jamicans really went all out celebrating. fook me, never seen such miserable fookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Rare that you see such obvious dislike between competitors as there was between the Jamaican winner and the other two there - especially within the same national team. The BBC have spent most of the day crying over Asher-Smith dropping out but she wasn't likely to be getting ahead of those three anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Fraser-Pryce barely looked at Thompson. Total disdain for her fellow country woman. Wonder what the story is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Liam2590

yeah all 3 of them looked very awkward together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Fraser - Pryce and Jackson seemed to get on fine with each other. In any case that will be one hell of a relay team.

yeah if they can get baton around safely they would be miles ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

A very impressive run by Thompson, she won at a canter. I thought the celebrations were very awkward, she got the minimal congratulations from her countrywomen. A good quality race, impressive to see two Swiss finalists. Only 1 American there and not even breaking 11 seconds. I wonder how Richardson would have got on?

Impressive for Team GB to have 3 in the 800 final. I don’t see Mu being beaten but the other medals are up for grabs. I’d like Reekie to medal.

A very entertaining mixed relay. Great to see Poland win and the guy from the Dominican Republic fight back to get silver when I thought he was finished. Good for Ireland to make the final but I thought they might have ran faster today. I would have expected to see Manning run, as I thought she was very impressive in Nationals.

I watched on Eurosport but switched over to BBC to see them still discussing Asher Smith. A very badly timed injury for her but I don’t think she would have medaled in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the BBC were saying something about they used to have the same coach, or the coach switched between them. Seemed like they were about to say more about it then started talking about something else instead.

what are peoples thoughts on the mens 100m? I thought Bromell was almost favourite but he didn’t look great at all in heats, unless he was just really taking it easy and will turn things up in the semis

There is only a tenth of a second or thereabouts between them all, so it's reset now......

yeah it’s looking wide open, bit of a change from previous olympics with bolt so far ahead of everyone else

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sifan Hassan has confirmed she's gonna be attempting the 1500/5k/10k final 😮 Not sure it's a good idea, but it'll sure be fun to watch.

No surprises in the women's steeplechase, the top 3 favourites won their heats. Abebe stepped inside the track but wasn't disqualified. Very happy to see Luiza Gega make her first Olympic final!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Xander10

Woo Hoo is very happy

• Advertisement

And surely after being soundly beaten by Kipyegon in Monaco just a couple of weeks back? I think it'll be a mistake, but we'll see.

Amos down in the 800, he will not be the Olympic champion.

Advertisement