Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a cashless society mean the end of illegal drugs and other crime ?

Options
  • 31-07-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I wonder would a cashless society lead to the end of organised crime ?

Without cash I'd imagine it would be very hard for criminals to operate.

If we had an official digital currency every single transaction would be logged making it impossible to hide money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, not a hope. If society goes cashless, the likes to Revolut will cover payments and other apps will come out to ensure privacy of transactions. I wouldn't mind it tbh, cash is a super spreader of viruses, hate using anything but new notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

Yeah Bitcoin and the many other alternatives mean this is a definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only people in the main who want cashless society are businesses and business people... they want to save money by...

not having handling charges on cash.

less cash on premises equals cheaper insurance.

having to pay less staff to process and count cash.

having less security.

having less staff in general.

i don’t know any regular Joe soap guy or girl whose ever said... “you know what would be great, if there wasn’t cash anymore”... it’s as stupid as it sounds...

you have money accessible, at home, in your pocket, work drawer, car....you won’t go hungry, in an emergency you need to get to a hospital, you’ll get there, card gets stolen, damaged, at home or on holiday, no biggie, in fact no problem, you got cash ? You got food to eat, a way to travel and security.

every holiday I’ve ever gone on I’m bringing xx hundred in cash, plus my card, most of the cash goes in the room safe and I take what I need for the day, I run out of cash or see some big expensive purchase, my card, perfect..

i get mugged on day 2...

scenario cashless crap society : I’ve no card, no phone and no ability to pay.

society now : I go back to my hotel, sad at loosing my phone, card and 200 euros but I have 800 euros left in the safe, I can cover my remaining expenses... food, transportation, hotel, gifts, few drinks etc etc..

cashless wont end drugs trade or any crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

control control control

but sure it won’t effect me if I’m doing nothing wrong

wake up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

A cashless society is going to make everything more expensive.

How are we going to pay the handyman or tradesman who takes us out of a spot in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be of the opinion that cashless would be cheaper, less overheard, less staff to pay. Now, whether those savings would be passed on to the consumer is a different thing. Re: losing the card on holidays/being robbed, that's also covered, this is from AIB:

Emergency Cash

In emergency situations, if your credit card is lost or stolen when abroad, we can, on approval, provide you with emergency Cash up to US$5,000.00 (subject to available credit, Cash Advance and Currency Conversion fees & charges may apply).

Plus, with more banks and financial institutions allowing NFC payments with your phone, there are more options to pay. If you're really, really worried about something like that happened, go mad and install the chip into your arm, no one will rob your arm!

Trying to compare a cashless society to todays standards will never work. If societies move towards cashless, then you can be sure there will be plenty of tech to iron over these potential issues. And I'm also very wary of leaving cash in a safe in a hotel. It's not 100% secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Or you would not be able to get any work done by travellers because they only accept cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

If you offer them a cheque they will always come back at you and say they can do the job cheaper for cash.

Lets say you owe them 400 euro for a job instead of paying them 400 euro by cheque they would be much happier if you paid them 350 euro in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I doubt the government is going to look at every transaction. Tradesmen can still accept transactions and if asked they sold a couch or something.

I live in a society that's basically cashless now and it's handy, everything is done by your phone, no big chunky wallet and a ton of coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How about telling them to fcuk off with their sub standard scam work in the first place and not owe them anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

how do you know its sub standard? i have had work done by travellers over the years with no problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Surveillance coin.

In such a scenario the powers that be would also have the ability to freeze your funds at a whim or reverse transactions (would you keep your life savings in PayPal?).

On the plus side you wouldn't need to worry about lodging a tax return since the revenue would already have a view of everything you and everyone else ever done. They wouldn't need to audit anybody. Is that a plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I live in Finland. Although cash is still available. It's almost never used. I remember about 2 years ago using a paper note. I don't think I've seen cash being used in a shop for over a year.

Many shops don't accept it or it's socially arranged not to use it.

It works quite well. There is a high level of trust in the government n authorities.. this helps alot.

I think cashless society is definitely happening.. just gradually. It's impossible to pay for things like gyms with cash already. Definitely harder for crime on a low-level to happen.

No, it wouldn't. Crime will always find a way. What it will do is place more control into the hands of the powers that be.

We're going down a very slippery slope at the moment. Digital/biometric IDs will follow if the vaxx pass system gets into place.

Don't consent to a further erosion of your privacy and freedoms. It's of no benefit to anyone but government, big tech, and the pharmaceutical companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

I swear the Covid 19 pandemic has some people gone cracked.

Next, we'll be banning shared seating, cinemas, park benches and public toilets because they're virus 'super spreaders'.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

The hse hackers asked for and deal in cryptocurrancy. Criminals are always near the front cutting edge of development. As soon as something is made, its not long until loopholes are found. And no more heavy suitcases to smuggle.

I think it will only suit criminal gangs more.

Are you serious? In the cashless scenario- what is stopping you from having a spare bank card in the hotel safe instead of cash?? I don't think you've thought this through at all.

In the cashless scenario - if you got mugged you could still have a card in the hotel room & access to much more money than 800e (which you might need now for replacement phone etc.).

• Advertisement

Where I live a lot of people get their bins collected by travellers.

If cash goes they won't be able to make a living.

I trust they're licenced to collect refuse? They don't fcuk it into the first forestry they come across?

If they're clever enough to upload call out videos I'm sure they can work out how to PayPal.

I don't use them but I know that they are "fully insured" boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

That's the silliest reason I've seen yet to get rid of cash, because a few travelers won't be able make a living ffs

I've never met a traveller who didn't deal in cash.

Are you serious? I’m serious. If a bank card is stolen, the card gets canceled on reporting it.

I don’t know anybody with a spare ATM card lying around in ‘their’ name for an account which they already have a card for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In my case it's two cards for two accounts: current account and credit card. When I travel I keep them in separate pockets and they generally back each other up. These days both cards are basically the same in terms of usability, since they both work wherever VISA is accepted.

As for the original question: I have no qualms about the end of cash itself - it was always a pain - and I'm not really concerned about the government or crime. If you commit a crime, you are infringing on the civil liberties of other people, so you forfeit your own civil liberties.

I am more concerned about commercial interests using your financial data, since they stand to benefit. For example, imagine if an insurance company could access your shopping receipts, and knew whether you bought cigarettes or ice cream. They could offer this as a choice to give you lower rates, like car insurance where you can agree to have your driving habits monitored by a black box. Money talks, as always.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Cash isn’t a pain at all, I have cash in my wallet, safe at home and the car,

to be 100% reliant on a piece of plastic ? no... i don’t see it happening in my lifetime, any government backing this will be significantly damaged as a government and party for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Im old fashioned as well as old and I prefer to use cash except for large transactions. Using card I find it is more difficult to have a feeling for what you are spending overall or even the cost of individual items. I think cashless is increasingly/will become increasingly the norm.

Advertisement