Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a cashless society mean the end of illegal drugs and other crime ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But my post was entirely about cards being stolen.

How would the phones lines being down affect the ability of the icecream van or the bus to take cards. And thats a very extreme example anyway. If electricity was gone you probably wouldnt be able to get food either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

The last time I was in croker for a match I went to get pints at half time. Some fella in front of me was holding up the show trying to tap , then putting his pin in etc with no joy. Then looking for his mate for his card etc. I thought he was gonna get a slap from some of the lads in the queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Electricity doesnt tend to be down for days at a time though.

All im saying is i have experienced several occasions in the last few years where electronic money has broken down.

Ive never experienced a time when the cash system has broken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

JimmyVik "All im saying is i have experienced several occasions in the last few years where electronic money has broken down.

Ive never experienced a time when the cash system has broken down."

Exactly !

When it comes to hampering the narcotics business this is a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If there's no electricity then the cash registers don't work so larger shops will not ring in sales. Imagine a scanner not working in a busy supermarket.

The whole what if thing is bogus.

If we were to not use things because things may go wrong time to time then we'd never fly, get in a car or use a computer.

Cash is on its way out no doubt about it and people should just embrace the change.

• Advertisement

Have you never been delayed by someone looking for money or claiming they'd been given wrong change?

What about all the other transactions that went through without a hitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Cashless society :D and when FF wreck the economy in let say 2031 having 50%+ of your digital money seized. It happened in Cyprus with bank deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭3d4life

Why do I sense that Murpho has never been to a post office on a Thursday morning ?

No but those that do like cash are also on the way out. 😀

Ive been in places where the electricity went, rarely to be fair. One was a Spar and they used a pen and paper and a calculator to accept cash.

One was in a pub and they did the same thing. What neither of them did was accept card payments with no electricity.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember being an ulsterbank customer back when they went down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Grand, I'll get an American Express card for my coke and hookers.

If you just have cash, you're in the same boat. If you had cards, you can do an emergency ATM transaction. Of you still have your phone, them you don't have any issue paying for stuff.

It was a weird time. It was just before I stopped using Ulster Bank, and for some reason my account was completely unaffected. Pay went in, card transactions worked, direct debits came out. Weird.

I really cannot understand people who prefer cash over plastic. Cash takes longer, often people don't have enough to pay, and don't even start me on asking for specific notes/coins. Hasn't happened often but I refuse to use any business that doesn't accept contactless.

Another one that baffles me about cash, so many vendors ask for a different amount in cash than what the till says, I know it's only a few cent, but you haven't a breeze how much you are paying for.

People who use cash basically have no respect for anybody else, phuck you, I'll take five attempts to find which pocket I have cash in, then I'll decide if I want to break a note or root around my pockets for shrapnel before deciding I don't like the change I'm getting bavk. I'll pay for chewing gum with a €50 if I feel like it, you can wait behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'd say we're pretty close to a cashless society as it stands. I don't have stats for this but I would imagine the vast majority of most peoples monthly spending is cashless.

I feel sorry for buskers....

I dont think anyone is saying they prefer cash.

I prefer plastic myself.

They are all just saying that cash will always be needed as well as plastic.

We have a tappy thing in the church now. Its €3 a tap. They were deciding where to put it for when mass starts up again.

My Dad is on the committee. He was telling me that at first they were going to put it at the door of the church so you could tap on the way in.

Then someone mentioned that people just wouldnt tap unless someone was looking at them. So now it will be at the alter and people will be invited to tap after communion on their way to sit down.

To embarrass them into it there will be someone standing beside the machine as people pass - staring them into tapping i guess. And a basket under it for those whose cards are not working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,783 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It will eliminate crime, with the same success the war on drugs had in eliminating drug use. Great idea.

If cash and plastic were an option and you only used plastic, would the existence of cash adversely affect you? Why are you trying to force your preferences on others. Why do you want to stamp out people's freedom of choice providing YOUR choices are lleft intact?

What I don't understand is people like you who think it has to be one or the other. You only use contactless. Fine ...knock yourself out. Some people only want to deal with cash. Let them at it. Some of us like to avail of both for different reasons. You don't seem to like people conducting their affairs in ways different to yours and want to force your preferences on them.

That post was just someone else's copypasted but with the point of view flipped to demonstrate the daftness of such a back and white view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

It seems Commissioner Mairead McGuinness intends to ban cash purchases above €10,000 in the EU. Not a cashless society but a step in that direction.

Would a cashless society mean the end of illegal drugs and other crime? I don't think anything could mean that. It would just fuel the rise of cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrency of course is now subject to tougher regulations in some countries, including Ireland. How will the EU implement this for Cryptocurrency, given the wild fluctuations of their value? But that doesn't mean they won't try. I would point out there are only 8 EU countries (including Ireland) which limit the size of cash payments, but one of them is the most important EU member state, Germany, and they haven't revealed their stance yet. A SPD led government could perhaps be more favourable to it than a CDU one, but that is speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm a regular Joe. I'd like to see the end of cash. It would eliminate the black market. I think this would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The Finnish Government recently had to run ads in the media warning citizens of spiralling debt associated with their almost cashless consumer spending. With cash in your pocket, you know how much you spend/have left to spend, personally I lose track of spending when continuously tapping my card/typing in my pin.

For the “holier than thou” brigade, few people refuse a discount when paying cash, the more the service costs, the more of a discount is often offered. If you guys want to pay more, off with ya.

A few posters think criminal activity would be stunted by the removal of cash from society, don’t kid yourself, criminals are nothing if not resourceful. Bitcoin/electronic transfers will be more than adequate for payment, money/Bitcoin can be moved at will once payment is received into a criminals account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Black market will always exist... it will just be more difficult for them... as will life for the rest of us, minus cash...

what do you subscribe for people with illnesses who might suffer from memory deficits ? It’s an estimate that between 9,000 and 11,000 people sustain a traumatic brain injury annually in Ireland with a further 8,000 being diagnosed with a stroke. Memory is often affected in these types of illnesses or events...somebody alert and able bodied or indeed otherwise, remember events from years ago but short term memory deficits on occasion like forgetting a pin... if they have 60 quid in their pocket... no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

True, but trying repeatedly to wring out an account is different from keeping something that can't realistically be sent back to its owner.

• Advertisement

So Saturday I was passing the local car dealer.

Spotted a car I liked in the forecourt.

Had a chat with the dealer and came to a price with trading in my car.

I went home, got the log book and the extra key and went back into him.

When it came to paying he wanted to add 6% on for paying with the credit card.

I said no, lets do it with the debit card. And then he wanted 3% for using that.

I said let me go into the bank on Monday. Here I am on Monday and cant get to the bank probably until Wednesday.

Total PITA. I refuse to pay extra for the pleasure of electronic payment at the weekend.

Advertisement