Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Valuing "freedom" over your life might be a noble idea if you are in the middle of a war or revolution to free your people from an oppressive government. When your talking about taking a vaccine for the sake of your own health and the health of those around you it's clearly a bonkers position to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

But those big tech companies do have offices large enough to accomodate all who were working in-office before the pandemic on-site. And they want to use that investment to the best of their ability, it obviously is a waste of money if you have an enormous google HQ with only 25 percent occupancy. So yes I do fear that eventually we will see a large percentage of the unvaccinated fired. But I do hope that you are right and that this will not happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You may have missed something that lots of people have been doing for the last 18 months around the world, and especially in the tech industry... People have been working from home.

So have I, but the offices are still there, they didn't fall into the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok. So why do companies want to fire all these people? Why do they need the excuse of the vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Mandating Covid vaccination for people like hospital workers - where it is just one addition to the other mandatory vaccines - is not about reducing personal rights for the medical professional, it is about maintaining the freedom and personal right of the customer - the lung cancer patient, who has a right not to get an additional infection that could cost her life.

If I were working in a hosptial, I'd have already been vaccinated in january or february or whenever the first people started getting them.

A modern version Maslow's hierarchy of needs, evolving in real time before our eyes.

People have pretty much all of their most basic needs met in modern Ireland. Yes, there's a housing crisis but the current definition of 'homeless' looks nothing like it did 10 years ago. There are very few people without an actual roof (or opportunity of a roof) over their heads or with empty bellies in the country today.

We've seen it time and again in elections through recent years......when the country is doing well, and it's people are also doing well, then we get all ideological and start to vote in the likes of the green party. Soon as the sh1t hits the fan, they're out until we get back on our feet.

Plus, with all this relatively high periods of downtime, folks' minds tend to wander. Look up the "year without a summer" when a volcanic eruption darkened the sky for so long that it started the likes of Vampire stories and even Frankenstein. So people have had all this time over the past 18 months to come up with fantastical notions of how the Government/WHO/NWO/Glocal Conspiracy Cabal(tm) are trying to poison everyone and keep them under coercive control.

There is no logic or rhyme/reason to their arguments, they just think something's wrong and don't want to sit there and take it anymore. Talk to anyone who grew up before vaccines were a thing and listen to the horrors that unfolded. Ask your grandparents about the whooping cough outbreak 80 years ago.....I guarantee that if they weren't born yet, they'll still know all about it after their parents drilled it into them how important it was to be protected against it.

Some form of vague ill-feeling towards the government is not justification for resisting measures to combat this outbreak.

Outright mistrust of this or any other government is not justification for resisting measures to combat this outbreak.

Past occasions when our government (or other international governments) were acting unjustly is not justification for resisting measures to combat this outbreak.

Claiming this vaccine has "unknown long term effects" when we do know the immediate effects (death) and don't know the long term effects of Covid is not justification for resisting measures to combat this outbreak.

Selfishly wanting to get back to normal because you feel that the chances of you getting moderate to serious symptoms of covid is not justification for resisting measures to combat this outbreak.

If this whole scenario has shown me one thing, it's highlighted the number of selfish, deluded, conspiraloons in my circle of acquaintances. I suppose that's a good thing, really.

So you are suggesting that a company will require people to be vaccinated and return to their expensive city centre offices for no reason than to justify them having taken out an expensive lease on said office and because they want to carry on paying for all the extra costs of having the office space fully occupied. They would do that rather than let certain number of people work from home and reduce their costs of maintaining the office or even just reducing their needs for office space and all those costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just out of curiosity, what country are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Preferring death from Covid rather than avoidance of death from Covid is a really bizarre stand to take. Also potentially giving another person a death sentence if you get Covid and pass it onto them is sad. All because you want to stick it to the man!

Btw, learn about Irish history before comparing it to the Netherlands please. Srebrenica 1995 comes to mind, WW2 surrender to Nazi's....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

I agree to the extent that under capitalism a disaster will always be exploited by corporations, etc. However I'm not sure your logic here adds up.

The implication is that Big Pharma trumps all other business/industry put together as it has the leverage to halt everyone else's revenue streams if they don't get their cash first. That doesn't ring true.

Secondly, would the virus not mutate in the non-vaccinated population - the larger the population the better - and therefore possibly require further medication that will generate more Big Pharma profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"I'd rather die from covid than take the vaccine", what are you, 12?

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. Just as I am entitled to say that this particular opinion marks you out as stupid and selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Must wreck the conspiraloons heads that theres been such a great uptake with the vaccines. Great to see their heads melting in front of our eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Just to get this straight, in your view a company doesn't have the right to bar unvaccinated workers, but unvaccinated workers have the right to risk the lives of other employees?

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

You do realize that the distribution of vaccines around the world is not equal right? In many African countries, vaccination rates are as low as 7%. Or even lower. Not because all of them antivaxxers, simply because they are not sending enough vaccines to those countries.

If it were Big Pharmas aim to save as many human lives as possible, they would have equally distributed vaccines to all countries on earth wherever possible (perhaps bar some countris like Yemen that are currently at war). They didn't do that; instead they sold them to the highest bidders, which are obviously the Western countries.

And if it were the Government's aim to save as many human lives as possible, we already know full well what you need to do to accomplish that, and that is to follow the New Zealand/Australia strategie of local lockdowns and closing your borders. At least the Irish government didn't do that.

Call me again once all the vulnerable and medical workers (who want to) have been vaccinated in even the poorest countries.

Now imagine telling some of those people who don't have access to the vaccine that you are passing up the chance to get it because you're privilaged and secure enough to have the choice of not getting it.

Thanks for highlighting another reason why your position is ignorant and selfish.

So do you believe that the vaccine just doesn't work? Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nobody said 'big pharmas' aim was to save as many lives as possible - someone would have to be very naive and simple minded to think that.

Pharma companies, like any other companies, are in it to make money. It's fairly simple economics. It's what all businesses are there to do.

That doesn't meant their products don't save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Edit - double post.

And in those African countries do they have the same infrastructure as we do? the same access to medicine? the same access to food? to goods/services?

Yet out of a broad problem that's been inherent in that region for decades, you've managed to magically single out pharmaceutical companies as the villains. Which by some remarkable coincidence is also a belief you happen to hold. Which by another incredible coincidence is also abundant in every anti-vaxxer, whether it's 5G, Bill Gates, microchips, "BiG PhArMa", etc.

Hmmm.

• Advertisement

Think we might need to start handing out medals for the mental gymnastics that go on on this forum :)

Their products indeed save lives, if administered to the elderly, vulnerable and public officials such as nurses and hospital workers and doctors yes. Including those who are in poor, african countries.

Call me when all those people have the jab and then I'll reconsider getting mine. Thanks.

This is pretty cringeworthy stuff. So basically you are not taking a vaccine because certain people in Africa don't have access, and that helps them how?

You are putting yourself at risk and helping spread Covid in the name of vaccinating Africans? People in certain regions of African don't have access to basic drinking water, electricity, internet, you boycotting those things out of spite as well?

A vaccine that is very unlikely to save my life is not a basic like drinking water, electricity or internet.

There is indeed a very, very, VERY small chance that I die from covid when I contract it unvaccinated. I find the chance so low, that I do not see the need to take the vaccine. Send mine to africa please.

What about the life of the person who you pass it onto? Or the person who doesn't get treated in hospital because you are occupying a bed whilst you recover from covid, that whilst it still might not kill you without a vaccination, the lack of vaccination means that it takes you longer to recover from being infected. Meanwhile you are being a burden on society that you didn't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

'Call me' when you respond to what I wrote rather than a strawman of your own concoction.

Your position seems to merely be an irrational fear of the vaccine as I can't see how anything you've written supports your decision.

I agree that Big Pharma will exploit the pandemic and saving lives isn't their priority but merely a side effect of selling their product. That's not a reason not get vaccinated.

I agree that most governments are to varying degrees in the pockets of corporate/monied interests (of which Big Pharma is but a fraction). Likewise, not a reason not to get vaccinated.

I agree that that the vaccine should be supplied en masse to the globe, regardless of expense/who can pay. Ditto, not a reason.

As I wrote previously, isn't it logical to suggest that the greater number of people who aren't vaccinated, the greater chance of mutations and thus greater opportunity for Big Pharma to profit from our misery? So if you resent this pandemic profiteering - as I think most sane people do - why would you refuse the vaccine and add to the possibility of creating greater windfalls for the profiteers?

Right, you aren't getting the vaccine because some Africans don't have the same access as we do

but they shouldn't take the vaccine because there's a "very, very, VERY" small chance they will die from Covid

So which is it?

But doctors don't agree with you.

Why would they advise people to get the vaccine if it's not needed?

Why are they lying?

Why are you right about the vaccine but trained doctors are not?

Also, given your sudden concern about African health care could you tell us what you've actually done to help improve it?

A donation to the Gate Foundation perhaps?

Or is the concern more empty hot air like your attempt to stand up to "invaders"?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Travel chronicle

June 2020.

People are starting to label some people's opinions as "conspiracies". These views do not really believe that the restrictions will end in August 2020 at the end of the 'roadmap'. The "conspiracists" are so strange that they hypothesize a mandatory vaccine in the future; i.e. they are clearly idiots

September 2020.

The "conspiracists" are so strange that they don't want to stay three months locked up in their house in exchange of three days of freedom at Christmas.

January 2021.

The "conspiracists" have become objectively indefensible: they have come to believe that - even after having the vaccine (!) - there will still be restrictions on human freedom of vaccinated people. Conspiracists really need help

July 2021

People label some people's views as "conspiracies"

• Advertisement

Right

Off the top of my head on this forum:

Covid is a plot to usher in global Communism

Covid is a plot to usher in global Fascism

It's a plot by Bill Gates to depopulate the planet

It's a plot by the NWO

It's a plot by the Elites

It's a plot by government all over the world to destroy their own economies

It's a plot by Satan (from several different posters)

and many, many more

And just in this thread:

All measures will be permanent

Many measures will be permanent

Some measures will be permanent

Some measures will be permanent but only in Ireland

Measures are being lifted, but they'll come back and be permanent

Dozens of wrong predictions, dozens of absurd conspiracies and not one poster has coherently explained a) why any measures will be permanent or b) any conspiracy theory

Hundreds of pages of complete and utter drivel over the last year and a half :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement