Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Icing on the cake being we knocked GB into fourth

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

The badminton commentator is gas-- like he's at the snooker, ".. he's going for the blue into corner pocket" or working in a library... and then 'ITS A BRILLIANT SMASH!!!'

I'm loving this match

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah feck - but what a match!!!

All credit to Nhat, that was just amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What a fight he put up - well done Nhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Great effort by Nhat. Should have a good few more Olympics ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Real gutsy performance from Nhat and plenty of potential for Paris. Fair dues to him

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Take my hat off to Nhat that was just a joy to watch. The other lad moved up a gear in end but he is only 21 and I hear by commentator that he is second youngest in competition so he seems have a big future.

Its one of best sports to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

You can be critical but that does not mean all criticism is valid. Here in this thread it is largely to be edgy by the looks of it. Coming "last" in a final she was not expected to make or using "last" to make it sound worse than 8th in the Olympics is just that. Similarly Mona can't control who is at the Olympics and who isn't. Anyone who makes an Olympic final of 8 people is world class and I sincerely doubt you will find a single athlete who doesn't agree (even if some of their own goals are higher).

We do have expectations of them but remember that the olympics themselves are to be qualified for. Anyone not invited has already beaten out people for a spot at the Olympics. Just because people weren't watching doesn't mean they didn't happen. There are many sports without people on funding with the harsh truth that we don't have people at that level. The people getting funding are getting it on the basis of their achievements in their sports. Also 20->40K entitles us to f all expectations. How much money have the likes of Ledecky gotten vs Mona including the value of all coaching, all paid for trips to competitions, equipment and facilities from their respective countries? I am not saying Ledecky hasn't worked hard or isn't talented btw.

As you saying expectations have to be realistic and in some cases the qualifying competition was the expectation. It just didn't get the same hype as the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

While medals are great I'd hate to see us become a country that eulogises medal winners and condemns competitors who miss out despite performing above expectations.

I see that with the Brits every Olympics, particularly the BBC coverage, their medal winners are hyped up beyond belief, but if someone even just comes fourth (as quite a few of their competitors did today) they're brushed over within seconds and instantly forgotten about for the next four years.

Their national lottery funding program was intended to result in wider public health and cultural improvements but instead it has become all about medals and flag waving. Brexit and right wing nationalism in another form basically.

I'd say those here that are only interested in medals may be better off getting their hands on a Union Jack and learning the words to God Save the Queen rather than pretending to support Ireland but knocking our competitors at every opportunity.

It was great to win our first medal this morning and there will be more to follow no doubt, but for me McSharry's eighth place in swimming was a better achievement than the rowing bronze given the relative standard of competition in both events. It's a shame that she won't be getting sponsorship deals and late late appearances out if it like the rowers will, but it's still important that we acknowledge great performances like hers and also Nhat's in badminton, even if they are not medal winning due to the standard of opposition in their events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

An Irish record for McSharry by being second in the slowest heat and still doesn't qualify for the semi-final. 20th overall.

Hooray. WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

I agree, an achievement to be the fastest in her country ever in that event. Long may the improvements continue and fair play to her.

Is there a non AH thread for the Olympics ?

Couldn't find on this new site and can't take the edgelords on here much longer

You should read up on the cycling "medal factory" under Brailsford and Sutton. Some serious moral and maybe legal lines crossed and all criticism or questions brushed aside in the name of medals

+1

There's a "Road to Tokyo" thread somewhere, haven't a bull's notion how to link these days, but it's relatively sane in there......

I saw that somewhere but it's a bit of a misleading title now we are off the road and have arrived.

I'll go route it out again

Yeah, someone suggested early on that the thread title should probably be changed - but I'm not sure anyone actually knew how to do it! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meeting the qualification standard (which is far from easy) and then exceeding your prior personal best in the Olympics seems perfectly fine and totally justifies the investment/grants that she receives. It's effectively the definition of an athlete we should be sending to the games.

Really don't get what your point is in this case. Next week when (as is traditional recently) we have track athletes who fail to get within 2% of their pb and go out in the first round without being sighted then you might have a point.

Took me ages to think of this thread title! Which one of you feckers wants it changed?

And I just realised you’re talking about the “other threads” title. Wherever it may be.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the "straight" sports thread we were on about..... but hey, maybe the fact that all the bitter and twisted begrudgers haven't managed to find it is a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The handshakes as they get their medals are gas

I absolutely loved that!

Any medal presentation I've seen (not many, in fairness), the recipients just took the medal and put it over their own neck. Did the girls decide on the spur of the moment to do their own mini-medal-presentation???

Genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In fairness, we're never going to be a country which judges our Olympic experience by how many medals we win. With our small population size, we will always be in the 2-6 medals per Games category and we know full well a Gold is extremely hard to win.

I'd agree that the Team GB medal rush since 2012 doesn't seem to have done much for them as a nation. It may even have been counter-productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

No, you need to try harder. You aren't nearly sarcastic or edgy enough. You are no Piers Morgan I'm afraid. More training needed!

Hopefully from here on in we are in the 2-6 and ide say we should be aiming more on the 6 side but we were far too often in the 0 category which isn't something we should be accepting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd definitely agree with that. 0 medals in 1988 and only one in 2004. We do seem to have turned a corner thank goodness, biggest ever team this year by far and many of our athletes performing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was good enough and skillful enough to play team sports like GAA and soccer that I have never experienced a sporting heat in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah jaysus 20th in the world in a major tough sport is a fair achievement.

Just uimagine how many hours she has spent traipsing up and down a pool at all hours of the morning.

Never ever look down your nose at swimmers.

And it definitetly surpasses playing 15 years for your local club or getting a call up for trials for the county minor team.

They are all doing that, covid I think is reason.

Advertisement