Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Options
  • 17-07-2021 9:11am

I think it’s time we got a thread started.

Ireland are sending more athletes to this summer olympics than ever before. Who have you got your eye on? I live not too far from a village called Grange in Co. Sligo. The population of the village as per 2016 census was 586 people and the village has 2 athletes going to the games - Mona McSharry (swimming) and Christopher O’Donnell (mixed 4x400 relay). Not too bad for a little village.

So, who do you have your eye on, what new events are there and will the opening ceremony be anything like what we’re used to?

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

First case of Covid confirmed in the ‘Olympic village’ already. Wonder if it’ll be like the Lions tour where they’ll just barrel through regardless.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

feel sorry for Tokyo i really do,

under normal circumstances i reckon it would have the best Olympics ever - knowing the japanese hard work ethic and Tokyo being so technology advanced,

anyway they might still pull it off - having virtual reality spectators and the like😐️

It must take serious money to host an olympics with your only hope of recouping some of that money via the influx of visitors to the area.

Would the Olympics committee give Tokyo the next available spot to host again? Would Tokyo want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I always look forward to the Olympics because I always forget it's 3 weeks of boring swimmy stuff and only a week of entertaining flippy, spinny, runny stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I follow gymnastics so I can't wait to watch it. Ireland has a strong medal hope in men's- Rhys McClenaghan. He is fantastic and well known now. Pommel horse is his event. Big competition from England, Taiwan, Japan and others on the event so it's not clear-cut at all.

Simone Biles is the face of NBC Olympics. Her second Olympics. I know it's hard to quantify but there's a lot to be said in favour of her being the greatest athlete of all time. Incredible to watch, look out for her in Women's gymnastics Team Final, All-around Final and floor and vault finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I found the diving quite entertaining last time out. Yer man Oliver Dingley did us all proud.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm rooting for the sailors, hard to tell how good a chance they have (Annalise will be under fierce pressure!) but at least they'll be less affected by the lack of spectators, seeing as they perform "remotely" anyhow.

The whole experience for all the competitors is going to be really weird. And not entirely pleasant, I'd imagine, compared to the normal Olympic experience.

There are no other sports I'm particularly interested in, but I get sucked into big events like this and will no doubt wind up vegging in front of whatever coverage is available of whatever sport is on, no matter how much or little I know about it!

• Advertisement

Who's our best bet for a medel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

a doped up horse

Athletics 

Thomas Barr (400m Hurdles)

Síofra Cléirigh Büttner (800m)

Andrew Coscoran (1500m)

Mark English (800m)

Michelle Finn (3,000m Steeplechase)

Eilish Flanagan (3,000m Steeplechase)

Phil Healy (200m/400m/400m Relay)

Sarah Healy (1500m)

David Kenny (20K Walk)

Sarah Lavin (100H)

Marcus Lawler (200m)

Ciara Mageean (1500m)

Nadia Power (800m)

Leon Reid (200m)

Louise Shanahan (800m)

Mixed 4 x 400m Relay Team (4 athletes from the following 6):

Cillin Greene

Chris O’Donnell

Phil Healy

Sophie Becker

Robert McDonnell

Cliodhna Manning

BADMINTON

Nhat Nguyen

BOXING

Brendan Irvine (Flyweight 52kg male)

Kurt Walker (Featherweight 57kg male)

Aidan Walsh (Welterweight 69kg male)

Emmet Brennan (Light Heavyweight 81kg male)

Michaela Walsh (Featherweight 57kg female)

Kellie Harrington (Lightweight 60kg female)

Aoife O’Rourke (Middleweight 75kg female)

CANOE SLALOM

Liam Jegou (Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare)

CYCLING ROAD (4 quota, 3 athletes)

Dan Martin

Nicolas Roche

Eddie Dunbar

CYCLING TRACK (6 quota, 4 events, 4 athletes)

Men’s Madison:

Felix English

Mark Downey

Reserve – Fintan Ryan

Women’s Madison:

Shannon McCurley

Emily Kay

Reserve – Lydia Gurley

Men’s Omnium:

TBC

Women’s Omnium:

Emily Kay

EQUESTRIAN (9 athletes)

SHOW JUMPING

Nominated Athlete/Horse Combinations for the IRL Jumping Olympic Team, in alphabetical order are as follows:

Bertram Allen with Pacino Amiro (ISH) – 2012 gelding by Pacino (BWP) out of Carnone Dancing Queen (ISH) by NC Amiro (AES). Breeder: Simon Scott, Co. Donegal. Owner: Aiden McGrory.

Darragh Kenny with VDL Cartello (HOLST) – 2007 stallion by Cartani 4 (HOLST) out of B-Estelle (HOLST) by Lord (HOLST). Breeder: Witt Pferdezucht. Owner Lorcan Gallagher & Heathman Farm LLC

Cian O’Connor with Kilkenny (ISH) – 2012 gelding by Cardento (HOLST) out of MHS Pembrook Lady (ISH) by Guidam (SF) Breeder Sinead Brennan, Co Kilkenny. Owner Susan Magnier.

P Alternate Athlete/Horse – Shane Sweetnam with Karlin Van’t Vennehof (BWP) – 2010 Mare by Fantomas De Muze (BWP) out of Fantomas De Muze (BWP) by Quasimodo Vd Molendreef D’08 (BWP). Breeder: Jos Voeten. Owner: Seabrook LLC & Shane Sweetnam

Reserve Athlete/Horse – Michael Duffy with Zilton SL Z (ZANG) 2011 gelding by Zirocco Blue VDL (SF) out of Utopie (KWPN) by Indoctro (HOLST) Breeder: Peter Schollaert. Owner: Katherine Duffy & HMF Equestrian

EVENTING

Nominated Athlete/Horse Combinations for the IRL Eventing Olympic Team, in alphabetical order as follows:

Cathal Daniels with Rioghan Rua (ISH) – 2007 mare by Jack Of Diamonds (SWE) out of Highland Destiny (ISH)[TIH] by Flagmount King (ID). Breeder/Owner: Margaret Kinsella (Galway).

Sarah Ennis with Horseware Woodcourt Garrison (ISH) [was Woodcourt Garrison] – 2009 gelding by Garrison Royal (ISH) out of Davitt Star (ISH) by Furisto (HANN). Breeder: Patrick J Kearns (Laois). Owner: Breda Kennedy

Sam Watson with Tullabeg Flamenco (ISH) – 2009 gelding by Tullabeg Fusion [ISH] out of Tullabeg Heidi (unk) by Ardenteggle Sir (IPSA). Breeder: Nicholas Cousins (Wexford). Owner: Vahe Bogossian

P Alternate Athlete/Horse – Austin O’Connor with Colorado Blue (SHBGB) – 2009 grey gelding by Jaguar Mail out of Rock Me Baby by Rock Kind. Breeder: Mellon Stud, Owner Austin O’Connor and The Salty Syndicate

Reserve Athlete/Horse – Joseph Murphy with Cesar V (OLDBG) – 2008 gelding by Casiro 3 out of Cortina R by Sandro. Breeder: Elke & Robert Vietor,. Owner: The Way Forward Syndicate.

NO DRESSAGE TEAM

GOLF

Rory McIlroy and Shane Lowry

Leona Maguire and Stephanie Meadow

GYMNASTICS (1)

Men’s Pommel (Rhys McClenaghan)

HOCKEY (16)

Women’s Team – Ayeisha McFerran (GK), Chloe Watkins, Hannah Matthews, Sarah Torrans, Nicci Daly, Roisin Upton, Hannah McLoughlin, Deirdre Duke, Katie Mullan, Shirley McCay, Sarah Hawkshaw, Lena Tice, Naomi Carroll, Lizzie Holden, Sarah McAuley, Anna O’Flanagan.

JUDO

Both Ben and Megan Fletcher are sitting inside qualification currently (they are brother and sister).

Ben Fletcher – ranked 17th in the 100kg category

Megan Fletcher – ranked 16th in the 70kg category

Nathon Burns – ranked 45th in the 66kg category.

MODERN PENTATHLON (1)

Women’s event (Natalya Coyle)

ROWING (6 boats, 13 athletes)

Lightweight Men’s Double Scull (LM2X)

Fintan McCarthy (Skibbereen)

Paul O’Donovan (Skibbereen)

Gary O’Donovan (Skibbereen – Reserve)

Women’s Single (W1X)

Sanita Puspure (Old Collegians BC)

Men’s Double Scull (M2X)

Ronan Byrne (UCC)

Philip Doyle (Belfast BC)

Daire Lynch (Clonmel) – Reserve

Women’s Four (W4-)

Emily Hegarty (UCC)

Fiona Murtagh (NUIG BC)

Eimear Lambe (Old Collegians BC)

Aifric Keogh (UCC)

Tara Hanlon (UCC) – Reserve

Women’s Pair (W2-)

Monika Dukarska (Killorglin BC)

Aileen Crowley (Old Collegians BC)

Lightweight Women’s Double Scull (LW2X)

Aoife Casey (UCC)

Margaret Cremen (UCC)

Lydia Heaphy (Cork) (Skibbereen)

RUGBY

Jordan Conroy

Billy Dardis

Ian Fitzpatrick

Foster Horan

Jack Kelly

Terry Kennedy

Adam Leavy

Hugo Lennox

Harry McNulty

Gavin Mullin

Greg O’Shea

Mark Roche

Bryan Mollen

SAILING (3)

Laser Radial Women – Annalise Murphy (Dublin)

49er Men – Robert Dickson (Dublin), Seán Waddilove (Cork)

SHOOTING

Derek Burnett to Compete in his Fifth Olympic Games

SWIMMING (8)

Darragh Greene

Danielle Hill

Brendan Hyland

Finn McGeever

Jack McMillan

Mona McSharry

Shane Ryan

Ellen Walshe

Daniel Wiffen

TAEKWONDO (1)

Men’s 58kg (Jack Woolley)

TRIATHLON

Carolyn Hayes – Women’s Individual Triathlon

Russell White – Men’s Individual Triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Zero interest in this political money grab.

The Olympics is not about sports anymore it is all about getting the advertisement $$$$'s

I wont even watch the opening ceremony.

It is a pointless spectacle.

Just my opinion. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It must be a balls to dedicate your whole life to a sport, sacrificing so much to train and then when what should be your proudest moment, you get a virus and can't compete. Sickener.

I feel sorry for Japan too. Huge outlay to host the Olympics but with spectators banned, no chance to recoup much of the outlay. They'll be tens of billions in the red because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I see Brisbane Australia has gotten the 2032 Olympics .... like they'll be out of lockdown by then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

went to few events at london 2012, got to say the atmosphere was nothing like any sports event ive ever been to.

even out in the park watching the track cycling (couldnt get tickets for the velodrome) was incredible team gb hoovering up medals obviously helped

gutted for tokyo reallly

its been nothing but a corporate sponsor fest for years though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yeah London 2012 was amazing, that opening ceremony alone, jaysus I still get goosebumps ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Queen jumping out of a helicopter and parachuting into the stadium will live long in the memory. That opening ceremony really was an incredible show, Danny Boyle did an amazing job putting it on. If they handed out Oscars for directing and producing live shows he would have been nailed on for one. It was amazing as well how united the UK population was for the Olympics in 2012 and then just four years later they were voting for Brexit and the whole country is divided and at each others throats, that was some turnabout.

Anyway looking forward to the Tokyo version even though the empty stadiums are going to be a pain. I cant wait to see how good Simone Biles is with another 4 years training under her belt, it should be a fantastic watch. I love the velodrome stuff as well so will be tuning in for most of it. Will also tune in to see the new sports added to the roster- skateboardng and surfing. Another one Im looking forward to is Norway's Karsten Warholm in the 400m hurdles, he just set a new world record a couple of weeks ago and will be trying to do it again at the Olympics. The record he broke stood since 1992 and was the longest standing world record in athletics so this Warholm lad is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Really disappointed that the stadia will be empty as the Japanese are probably the most enthusiastic sports fans.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What’s the story with Dani Alves in this Brasil team? Bloody hell he’s nearly twice the age of the rest of them

They're allowed 3 bangers, I think.

Maybe someone who knows the rules can weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I think your right on the 3 banger rule haha

Do we have realistic hope of some golds does anyone think? The golf and the sailing maybe?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The 2012 opening ceremony was amazing..

I knew Beijing 2008 would be a hard opening ceremony to follow, but mother of god the London 2012 opening was just spectacular.

Special shout out to the moment the Irish team were announced, and the roar from the crowd.. No, no, I've just got something in my eye..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Annalise Murphy since the last Olympics, gave up on the Laser Radial, and took part in the Volvo Ocean Race (an 8 month round the world race), then tried qualifying for Tokyo in the 49er, but it was going terribly bad so she gave up on that idea, and went back to the Laser (another girl had qualified the boat for Tokyo, so it's a tad unfair that her spot was given to Murphy because the 49er didn't work out for her).

I'd say she has a decent chance of a medal though as Tokyo will suit the 'heavier/stockier' sailors with the higher prevailing winds than those found in Rio.

I don't know anything about boxing, but isn't Kellie Harrington a decent boxer?

As for the Golf, You'd like to think that either McIlroy or Lowry would have a decent chance if they found a bit of form out there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! I've heard of her before and looked up Paddy Power she is 2nd fav so definitely in with a good shout!

Advertisement