Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Never said that there was a public vote on the Protocol. Another absolute classic of a strawman argument from you.

I am saying that the EU will compromise in some way because unlike the Little Irelanders only interested in a little island solution, the EU won't want the people of Northern Ireland to be deprived of their current choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,982 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The EU will use the easements and flexibilities built into the agreement.

We are awaiting downcow (and now yourself) to call that some kind of win for the belligerent Unionists who have been rowing furiously backwards from their 'the Protocol must go' positions for a while now.

Your problem, like them, is that you are too desperate to be right, hence your misrepresentation of your own position, as noted by myself and Fionn and no doubt a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I actually don't even know what his point is. I'm surprised there's no references to Hubner for the craic. At least he got in his SF dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Why then is the UK government not doing the one thing it can do to facilitate the movement of produce to and from NI without the need for additional checks, the same thing other states who enjoy free movement of goods with the single market, have done? The alignment of standards for goods they want to be able to move freely in and out of the single market.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Once more a blatant lie, Blanch.

I see we're going to have to go through this in little baby steps to try and break it down.

So firstly, your opening statement to this conversation was as follows;

"The problem with the Protocol is one I identified months ago - the sandwich issue I called it, but it applies to sausages and other food as well. The punters don't like change in their supermarkets, they want the brands and tastes that they are familiar with. Yet, you and other posters ridiculed my point, but it is coming home to roost."

To which I responded that a) the vast majority of sausages eaten in NI are produced in bloody Ireland anyway, and there is no significant difference between Irish and British sausages anyway. To try and pretend that this wasn't you saying that Unionists wouldn't eat Irish sausages is demonstrably ridiculous. That is precisely what you said.

As for the extension of the Grace Period; AS PER THE BLOODY SOURCE YOU PROVIDED, WHICH I WAS RESPONDING TO;

"We recognise the European Commission needs to see increased compliance to support the concessions it granted through the Northern Ireland protocol but the current proposals, increased bureaucracy and certification in such a short timescale, are unworkable."

So despite what you presented it as, the Chief Executives of the major supermarket brands clearly understand and appreciate the concessions granted by the Northern Ireland Protocol, however the issue was with the short timescale. To paraphrase your own post, I think I'll take the word of all those Chief Executives over some random on the internet.

I'll repeat, the problem according to YOUR source was not with changing to different (though practically identical sausages or sandwiches), or that these things would lead to empty shelves in NI as you've hyperbolically suggested (while ironically ignoring the rapidly emptying shelves in Britain). The issue is with the time frame. Natural solution? .....increase the time frame, which we did.

How the blazes you can read that statement and take from it that somehow the solution to all of Brexit is.....British f*cking sausages....the mind boggles.

Then to continue bloviating and telling ME to put down the shovel.....while preaching to someone FROM NI about what NI is like? It's some sort of industrial scale digger you have out, Blanch. Shovels be damned.

Your blind dislike for SF is clouding your rationality so much that you'll side with whatever their loudest critics suggest just to argue against them. I suspect this is much more responsible for your once more parroting the DUP line rather than actual support for the position. The problem is that SF have sweet FA to do with an agreement come to between the EU and the UK so you're just flaccidly taking digs at them and hoping for whatever outcome might annoy them the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

The 20% number is a Brexiter "statistic" - and as likely to be accurate as "€350 million a week" or "all of the benefits, none of the obligations".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭downcow

God forbid we would be accused of agreeing, Downcow...but it would sicken me to my stomach if Unification was achieved through such backhanded and dastardly tactics.

I would hope and expect that Britain respect their commitment as per the GFA to remaining neutral when it comes to the question, and I'd be as offended and dismayed if they campaigned on behalf of Unification as I would if they campaigned on behalf of remaining part of the Union.

A few short years ago I would've thought the concept impossible, I still think it very unlikely but in the post Dom Cummings/BoJo ascendancy, I wouldn't commit to saying impossible any more. Christ, with Boris he could ignore the GFA and campaign for Unification around my home town and against it in yours!

Once again, I haven't said that Unionists wouldn't eat Irish sausages, that is a blatant simplistic misrepresentation.

What I have said, and I have been saying is that people like what they are familiar with, they like the food they normally eat, they like the habit of shopping where they are familiar. While they might change that themselves (see how Lidl have built up market-share) over time, they won't like that kind of change forced on them and they will resist it.

As for siding with the loudest critics, the supermarket CEOs are the ones agreeing with me, FrancieBrady is the one agreeing with you.

• Advertisement

Rowing back at a spectacular rate, Blanch.....as already said, between Cookstown, Dennys, Galtee and local butchers, how many consumers will actually have to change a thing, Blanch? Now out of that already small number, what tiny percentage remain who are going to be so resistant to change to warrant overturning an international agreement cheered along by the DUP, passed by their Sovereign parliament and lauded as a great, oven ready deal by their PM? Mountains and molehills spring to mind. Also how much resistance do you expect this tiny group to bring to bear, and do you really think it is worth undermining the integrity of the EU to placate the implacable? To quote your hero, Arlene Foster, "if you feed a crocodile....."

The supermarket CEOs absolutely do not agree with you; for the THIRD time, as per your own source their issue was with the rapid timescale they were expected to adapt within. To quote for the third time

"We recognise the European Commission needs to see increased compliance to support the concessions it granted through the Northern Ireland protocol but the current proposals, increased bureaucracy and certification in such a short timescale, are unworkable."

You do have Jim Allister, Jamie Bryson, Sammy Wilson, some lunatic from the Brexit Party and all the Loyalist drug dealers of East Belfast on your side though. I've heard it said that you can tell a man by the company he keeps.

Keep trying to blame it on SF and NI Nationalists though.....you know, two of the few groups who had absolutely zero real input into the situation, neither at the point of the Brexit vote nor the negotiation of the Withdrawal Agreement.....about as well blaming it on the Mexicans, Hasidic Jews or the Australian soccer team.

The 'demographic' you are blindly defending voted for the single biggest 'change' in the modern history of Europe - Brexit.

One of their leaders Nelson McCausland, when warned about what might happen, said 'I don't care what situation I face as long as I am out of Europe'. Another, when asked to specifically broach the danger of empty shelves/food shortages said, 'Let them go to the chippie'.

Once again you put your under researched foot in it with a stupid remark then try and sledgehammer it into something relevant to save your blushes.

Apologies for the downcow quote in there...won't let me delete it for some reason.

The same GFA (and also NI protocol) that rules out a hard border on the island of Ireland?

While under the GFA consent would be required increasing political and economic isolation from Westminster and increasing ties to the single market might soften the ground towards NI leaving the UK and looking towards Europe for its future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You are saying Unionists must be pandered to because you hate SF, and United Sausages of Ireland aren't Good Friday Pork, or some other jambalaya of pure cobbled together balderdash.

Along with accusing people of oversimplification..... while coming out with the complex analysis that is, 'people like what they're familiar with'.....ignoring the brain melting irony that he is talking about this to the backdrop of the decision of the people he is defending deciding to leave what they've been familiar with for almost fifty f*cking years....in a small place they cohabit with half the population agitating to change the other thing they've been familiar with for a hundred years!

I can’t see why you would expect Uk to be neutral on a ui poll.

would you expect Irish gov to be neutral?

irish gov is not neutral on any issues pertaining to NI which is not even in their jurisdiction.

Irish government did not uphold the gfa when it came to protocol

Fionn, what is your source for this percentage who will resist protocol. And what does ‘tiny’ mean - put a figure on it?

You continually imply that DUP voters were the ones who voted for brexit. Almost all parties in NI campaigned against it but even with that persuasion almost 50% of the voters, from all political persuasions, voted for brexit,

Show us the bit of the gfa which rules out a hard border on the island of Ireland? Or might you just be believing the propaganda?.

• Advertisement

The GFA obliges the UK government to neutrality in the event of a border poll, Downcow, that's why I would expect it.

From the Declaration of Support section (emphasis mine):

(ii) recognise that it is for the people of the island of Ireland alone, by agreement between the two parts respectively and without external impediment, to exercise their right of self-determination on the basis of consent, freely and concurrently given, North and South, to bring about a united Ireland, if that is their wish, accepting that this right must be achieved and exercised with and subject to the agreement and consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland;

(v) affirm that whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, the power of the sovereign government with jurisdiction there shall be exercised with rigorous impartiality on behalf of all the people in the diversity of their identities and traditions and shall be founded on the principles of full respect for, and equality of, civil, political, social and cultural rights, of freedom from discrimination for all citizens, and of parity of esteem and of just and equal treatment for the identity, ethos, and aspirations of both communities

You'll note I've quoted directly from the GFA to back up my assertion.

As the Irish government would be included in, 'the people of Ireland', and at the time a border poll is called, they would not be the sovereign government with jurisdiction there, my reading of this doesn't bind the Irish government in the same way it does the British government.

Care to point out:

a) specifically which parts of the GFA were breached, as your courts found that it had not. The most questionable action since the Brexit vote with regards to the GFA was the DUP Confidence and Supply arrangement with the Tory Party.

b) precisely how the Irish Government (who I'll emphasise were happy with the status quo and hold no responsibility for the UK's decision to Brexit) are responsible for this specific breach when the legislation to bind the UK to the NI Protocol was passed by your (sovereign) Parliament and given Royal Assent by your Queen?

As I said, I've quoted direct text from the GFA and explained my position. Rather than generalities and, 'feelings in your water', I'd appreciate an equivalent level of specificity.

I'd suggest reading again. I'll admit that it is guess work and I understand that a significant number in the Unionist community aren't happy with the NI Protocol, and a small number of those may actively resist it (the tiny numbers who have actually shown up to any protest of the NI Protocol would be my source that even this number is tiny).

However the post in question was referring to those who would actively resist it specifically because they can't get access to their chosen brand of sausages (or pre-packaged sandwiches). As the protests have already demonstrated that it is a pretty small number willing to actively resist it overall, one could extrapolate and presume that the number who are willing to actively resist because of sausages is tiny.

As I said, I understand there is Unionist discomfort around the NI Protocol, to my reading of the situation, this is due to the perception that it creates a closer relationship with Ireland and a more distant (symbolic) relationship with the UK, not because they're outraged over a specific brand of sausages.

Out of curiosity, what would the usual brand of sausages purchased in your household be? Any chance the Protocol impacts supply there? Twas Dennys or Halfners in my house the odd time we didn't get them from Doherty's Butchers in Enniskillen.

I suppose you will be claiming next that it was just a coincidence that that the Pro Brexit vote came from almost the identical areas to where Unionists are in the majority? Or denying that as soon as the result was known the UUP leader Steve Aitken scuttled the ship and went over to the pro Brexit side?

Is this the beginning of 'Never Never Never...shure go on ahead...it wasn't us wanted it anyway'

EU reeling the UK in, 'give 'em enough rope' strategy.

Johnson and Frost failing abjectly to provoke a rash reaction.

Let's hope this extension on the extension is enough for Westminster and those companies / suppliers / distributers who largely sat on their hands since the Brexit referendum to finally get their act together.

Say the Conservative Party wishes to campaign against the border poll, there is nothing in there that prevents them, even if they are in Government. Essentially, all that does is commit the UK government to a process similar to our Referendum Commission, but it doesn't stop individuals or political parties in the UK campaigning any way they want on a border poll.

Which bit of sausage war is an euphemism for a range of supermarket products that the CEOs are concerned about supply chains do you not understand?

The 'government' cannot offer inducements or benefits to staying.

They could and did in the Scottish referendum (more devolution and deals on oil etc etc)

Tells you all you need to know about their 'commitment' to NI, as if you couldn't work that out from their treatment of Unionism over Brexit.

• Advertisement

I think of all the people on this thread, it is you that doesn't understand.

And in the interests of transparency, it's Superquinn sausages in my house.

Advertisement