Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Your 'carbon footprint' must be through the roof!

Despite the relatively cool morning here (still way higher than normal) I still can't get the house to cool down properly at all even with the windows open all night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Great choices! Mulranney beach in particular is a great choice - very geographically interesting with its flora, fauna and salt flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

I doubt it's that high. Heating has been off bar a few hours for about 3 months. Have had air conditioning running in a single room for 6 nights. Didn't need it last night as temperatures are way down and bedroom was much cooler at about 23/24° which is very doable with just a bedsheet and the duvet removed. House is very well insulated and every bulb in the house is LED. All garden lighting is solar powered by way of solar panels on the shed roof with power stored during the day in batteries. Have two cars and one is an EV. Other car will be an EV too, probably from next year.

So I'd say that in general, my carbon footprint is doing well, for this country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Excuses excuses.. 😒

I'll pass on this message to Greta we'll see what she has to say, shall we?

Joke!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I also can't believe we didn't get a drop of rain last night here in Firhouse D24! Garden is wilting at this stage.

But I do miss the heat .....not the almost 29c but the lovely 24/25c which for me is pure bliss!

I hope you have a lovely holiday acquieon but as you say, the noise hustle and bustle of tourist resorts is never as relaxing as good weather back home!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Seems like heavy rain overnight was very localised to South Waterford City. 16.5mm recorded at my station. Verified with my back up traditional gauge.

Is there someplace where i can look at past radar images from Midnight onwards??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

I thought you could do that on met eireann site. I may be wrong.

Anyways the sometimes right yr.no has 40mm of rain for Sligo in the coming 3 days. Ugh

Then 1.4mm!! in total over the Bank Holiday. That would be good.

Then 23mm in total Tuesday and Wednesday.

So Summer 2021 in Sligo will probably be remembered as freezing with an exceptional heatwave from July 15th to 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Still no rain here in south Cavan yet, yesterday's front stalled west of here and heavy showers built up to the east. Might not stay dry much longer looking on the radar though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No rain here in Meath and surprisingly mild, was expecting much cooler, currently 18c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lashing in Dublin 13 for past 10 minutes or so. Still managed 15 consecutive days <0.2mm which constitutes as absolute drought (just abouts!), the second time that has happened this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

Big claps of thunder here in North County Dublin.

Oh I hate it! Weirdly not too much rain with it so far and dont see any lightening yet, sky still bright enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Would love some rain, none in a good while here in my part of Kilkenny, all the plant life is crying out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

We seemed to get a brief shower here in North Dublin, first one in weeks but so little you would hardly even noticed it rained. We really need a good down pour but no sign at this stage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still holding dry here in Meath and feeling warm, sun is trying to shine but too much cloud around. Temperature currently 20C. It should turn much fresher over the next few hours as cooler uppers are moving in from the west.

Tomorrow will be cooler everywhere and showers of a thundery nature. Temperatures generally in the mid teens tomorrow.

A few drops of rain here in Meath, probably only the 4th or 5th time I've seen it rain since May.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wet evening coming for the east with some thundery bursts embedded.

Same here, haven't seen meaningful rainfall in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lovely sunny 18 degrees in East Clare...no need to water the garden after last nights rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Sunny and warm in athenry, lovely actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Actually somewhat nice today in West Clare, the afternoon has brought a sunny/cloudy mix with 18°c and a light breeze. However it still feels colder than 18°c should because of the hot weather last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Been raining softly and steadily around Tullamore and Mountmellick for most of the day. Can see the clearing coming however..another half hour should see it off on its way to the East coast.

Jaysus another unreal thunderstorm + this time the heavens opened with the amount of rain we got!

I thought everything would be washed away⛈

18C feels cold to me today as well. Why, by the way, do we feel that 18C is warmer at night than by day? I remember a few restless nights last week at 18C at midnight. The bedroom has large open windows so I suppose that the temperature inside was the same as out but it felt sweltering. Today I want to put on my jacket in the house.

Its not humidity, which is at 70% or so. Same as last week.

No thunder in Meath but reasonably heavy rain now and feeling noticeably fresher already.

No rain here again today in my area of Kilkenny, well we got a few drops but nothing measurable.

The drought continues for another day.

That would be 18C coming down from much higher temperatures earlier on, and there would be heat absorbed by the house which would be releasing during the night so it would be warmer in the house than the outside temperature even with a window open.

The humidity has well truly gone here in the last half hour. Totally different feel and looks like this will be the way for the foreseeable future. 15.8c.

Still torrential rain here, there could be local flooding if this continues.

North County Dublin, just seen video there of streets flooded in Malahide village due to downpours.

• Advertisement

Advertisement