Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭apache

Get Mario Odyssey ASAP.
    Cool. Gonna set up an account. Will probably get Zelda too.

How long do the games take to download? Hopefully not as long as the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

apache wrote: »
    Cool. Gonna set up an account. Will probably get Zelda too.

How long do the games take to download? Hopefully not as long as the PS.

If you're planning to buy both digital, you can get one of the vouchers through Nintendo Switch Online and get the 2 games for €99.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Noticed on Sunday in Smyths that 3d All-stars is still available for anyone looking

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And we're back...

Got my dispatch notification yesterday from Smyths for my Skyward Sword HD.

Liking that it seems that they've added camera control to the game, using the R stick when using motion control, or holding L and using the R stick when using standard controls (as the R stick is your sword then)

Nintendo Life review suggests that the motion controls are better this time round, and that this feels like the way it was meant to be back on original release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to collect it tomorrow, can't wait to try it again, never bothered getting very far last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I watched GameXplain's review and they somewhat disagree about the motion controls. I wouldn't take anything NL say seriously.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WervE3YPLdA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I'm on the fence about Skyward. I'm a big Zelda fan but never had a Wii so never played it at all.

However something is stopping me dropping 60 euro on it. I'd like to say I'll wait for price to drop but this is Nintendo first party so the price won't drop.

I dunno doesn't really have the look of a proper Zelda adventure

Yeah, I played it back when it came out and I liked it. Even got used to the constant Fi interruptions, but for reason I'm not too bothered about getting this. And I got the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD ports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, I've found what I'm going to buy instead of a OLED Switch ...

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22578782/steam-deck-handheld-valve-release-date-price

Just saw that. Really doesn't help Nintendo. The excuse for the Switch tax was convenience of portability but now we have a system that's portable and no need to stream games like Control.

• Advertisement

I've a modest Steam library, but a good number of the games that I bought on Switch were out first and for less on Steam.

Cloudpunk is a good example, and the PC version is much better

Yep. For a bit more than the OLED Switch you can get this. If the Pro isn't as powerful as this then people will be wondering why.

Looks like the Loftwing Amiibo was hit by unexpected delays. American report but I assume same here.

https://www.ign.com/articles/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-zelda-loftwing-amiibo-delayed

So I have the Switch about 2 weeks. I bought it knowing nothing about it and thought I'd regret it. But I'm loving it now. Good buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

I had one pre-booked in Gamestop. they rang me this morning to say it was delayed until Tuesday, so lets hope it comes in on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ansible

Hi, I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a switch purchase - mainly for the kids but will probably have a dabble myself. Any recommendations on which bundle to go for in terms of best bang for buck - struggling to know which games will most appeal to 6-8 year olds?

Getting that Steam Deck out for $399 (before sales tax obviously in the US as standard) is pretty amazing just shows up Nintendo on the value comparison.

16gb ram and the power of a PS4, even if the base version has pretty poor storage.

But it remains to be see how successful it will be - it's not a direct switch competitor really

still it's a very interesting device that gives the pc software library a true portable option and very compelling for anyone with a steam collection.

Valve are doing it to make their steam library look more attractive, not to sell $60 games like Nintendo

I hope that it succeeds.

Digital Foundry raise some good points

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-valve-steam-deck-spec-analysis

Well, it probably serves as a good demonstrator of the level the Switch 2 needs to reach.

And, to be fair, the Switch is getting on a bit and wasn't state of the art on its release.

I was unable to secure a Steamdeck anyway, it was like the PS5/Xbox Series X all over again!

You mean I would've gotten one? 🙂 Would think needing a steam account and deposit would've helped battle bots if that's where they went.

I had one in my shopping cart in Steam but, when I tried to pay for it, it just wouldn't go through.

It kept telling me to try again in a few minutes and then that changed to some sort of lockout because I was attempting to buy something without success so often!

In the end the shipping date moved to 2022, and I really wanted it as a surprise for my son for Christmas, as he is the Steam user in our house.

Ah well.

Edit: Got one this morning, albeit not to be shipped until Q1 '22.

I may get an OLED Switch yet!

Post edited by CiDeRmAn on

• Advertisement

I wonder how it will feel in the hands....

Steamdeck - 1.48 lbs

Switch - .66 lbs, .88 lbs (without and with joycons)

OLED model - .72 and .93 respectively

so A LOT heavier

So....

671g,

Not exactly TOO heavy....

If anything, the Switch is VERY light.

remains to be seen how it holds up for extended play

size and ergonomics, heat produced all factors also

I mean the switch + joycon ergonomics are crap after about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I like the idea of the Steam Deck but Steam are like Google in that they'll probably wake up some day and decide to drop the whole thing. Hopefully it's fairly open so you can run whatever you want if Steam support disappears. One to keep an eye on I think. I'm a big fan of the handheld gaming at the moment.

Edit: Just spotted elsewhere that it's unlocked so Windows, etc. can be installed if desired. That makes it more appealing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Valve aren't like Google at all in terms of supporting their products from my own experience.

Post edited by earthwormjack on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Definitely looks like a game gear

Also, the Guardian says it's a Switch for nerds! Nintendo is definitely cool these days.

I'm really looking forward to it, the range and type of games are really up my middle aged street.

Cloudpunk is a good example, the Steam/PC version being far superior.

Also, the likes of Black Mesa, the remaster of the original Half Life, is amazing and available on the new system.

It's going to be extremely interesting to see what Nintendo bring to the table, we'll probably see it by summer '22

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just wondering, has anybody tried the 1mm card fix for joycon drift yet, and if so, did it work?

Also, is anybody still here?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

plenty out in the world beyond boards have tried it and it does work apparently.

link in repairs thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, still here. Waiting for BOTW2 and Odyssey2. Also, a brilliant new Nintendo first party 2D platformer. In the meantime I've defected to Xbox.

Advertisement