Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I know nothing...
    But it would weirder if Xbox or PS forums claimed the same... :/

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, analogue controllers were typical when it came to the PC, back in the '80s.
    The 5200 was a failed lump from a dying company, and its analogue feature was never baked into the software as Nintendo did with theirs, starting with that analogue showcase, Super Mario 64.

As for the comment about it being "just Nintendo forums. It's weird", it's not so weird.
    The N64 was the first console to bring analogue control to the masses, and with great success.
    The 5200 failed, the controller was widely derided as awful and the whole kit and kaboodle quickly forgotten, with the release of the more conventional 7800.
    And this is a Nintendo forum, why is it always such a surprise for folk to find champions and fans of the brand here?

I don't see it on other gaming forums. It's just weird behaviour unique to Nintendo fans. Why do they feel the need to act as if Nintendo invented everything first when that can't be true? (Please spare us both the list you're about to write.)

It's like a complex of some sort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't see it on other gaming forums. It's just weird behaviour unique to Nintendo fans. Why do they feel the need to act as if Nintendo invented everything first when that can't be true? (Please spare us both the list you're about to write.)

It's like a complex of some sort.

To repeat, for those in the back, this is a Nintendo forum, used by those who like if not love the Nintendo brand and the hardware and games that they make.

It might be your opinion that Nintendo fans are the way that you say they are, but that is not my experience here, on this forum.

What I would suggest, both as a user of this forum for years, and as a moderator here for almost as long, is that they don't "need to act as if Nintendo invented everything first", but it is undeniable that Nintendo was responsible for an awful lot of innovations in the gaming world.

That said, if you think that users of this forum are the problem, as opposed to other forums, why not just use those instead?
    And, if you think that Nintendo fans are unique in the idea of being fans of a format, perhaps you should avoid the Playstation and Xbox forums too.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To repeat, for those in the back, this is a Nintendo forum, used by those who like if not love the Nintendo brand and the hardware and games that they make.

It might be your opinion that Nintendo fans are the way that you say they are, but that is not my experience here, on this forum.

What I would suggest, both as a user of this forum for years, and as a moderator here for almost as long, is that they don't "need to act as if Nintendo invented everything first", but it is undeniable that Nintendo was responsible for an awful lot of innovations in the gaming world.

That said, if you think that users of this forum are the problem, as opposed to other forums, why not just use those instead?
    And, if you think that Nintendo fans are unique in the idea of being fans of a format, perhaps you should avoid the Playstation and Xbox forums too.

Ah, now I'm getting that Reddit feel. Agree with me, or else. I'll unfollow the thread. I get the message.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, now I'm getting that Reddit feel. Agree with me, or else. I'll unfollow the thread. I get the message.

Frankly, you are being unfair.
    You come on a Nintendo forum, to make a very general and derogatory point about Nintendo forum users, because they disagree with your statement about an analogue stick.
    When users rebut your statements, you call foul and continue to disparage, on the way out the door.
    I get the message too, loud and clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't say agree with him, but don't make general assumptions.
    Nintendo didn't invent analogue but they made it mainstream. Just like they didn't invent the 3d platformer but after seeing games like Tomb Raider played with a d-pad, Mario 64 showed how to navigate a 3d environment to the masses.

The same way Doom gets all the credit for FPS or Resident Evil gets all the credit for the survival horror genre. They mightn't be the first but they're the ones that brought things to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone use 8bit do adapter with ps5 Controller on switch ? Works well??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

brady12 wrote: »
    Anyone use 8bit do adapter with ps5 Controller on switch ? Works well??

Got one off Amazon last week to connect xbox controller to switch. Finding it very hit and miss, works sometimes and then does not for no reason. Am finding that when I plug adaptor into cradle it will not show the flashing light while the switch is docked. When I take switch out, flashing green light come on on the adaptor.. Very tempted to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭brady12

Glebee wrote: »
    Got one off Amazon last week to connect xbox controller to switch. Finding it very hit and miss, works sometimes and then does not for no reason. Am finding that when I plug adaptor into cradle it will not show the flashing light while the switch is docked. When I take switch out, flashing green light come on on the adaptor.. Very tempted to return.

What Xbox controller is it ? I know they were slow to roll out compatibility Xbox controllers in general , must be harder to work with .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

brady12 wrote: »
    What Xbox controller is it ? I know they were slow to roll out compatibility Xbox controllers in general , must be harder to work with .

Xbox one controller, it worked for a few days but cant seem to get it to work now. Tried it on PC with same controller and its working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Subnautica yay or nay? I suppose performance will be big issue with the switch port. Slightly worrying the dev says they're aiming for 30 FPS but could dip with large base etc. Wonder how jarring the drop might be. Much as lovely visuals would be great, slightly less impressive appearance with a solid FPS would be better, in my eyes at least.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

What better game to try on my new 55" 4k TV than Horace? Can see every pixel clearly. :)
    Was the only game installed and just quickly testing it was set up.

Now for the Wii U

So, for those getting Skyward Sword, motion controls or not?

Still undecided about getting it. Have the joycon ordered but may even cancel that yet

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So, for those getting Skyward Sword, motion controls or not?

Still undecided about getting it. Have the joycon ordered but may even cancel that yet

I have it pre-ordered with Smyths, but I won't be using the motion controls, never liked them and I don't think I ever will at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll personally be using them, as I found when they worked well, they added to the game really nicely.

Always found it funny, that when the Wii first came along, people were crying out for 1-1 sword/light saber actions in a game, when the likes of Red Steel gave an approximation of it, people wanted more of it, and more realistic mapping of the actions.

But when finally implemented well in something like Skyward Sword, people gave out about having to use the motion controls, in a game designed around them.

I know motion controls can be a divisive thing, but it was literally what people had been asking for!

Only problem I had with the motion controls was the bow/slingshot by think that was me just not being sure how it was meant to work.
    The main complaint about the game had nothing to do with the controls. Fi and her constant interruptions.
    Oh, and the harp.

Also a few parts made the heart go fast
    The Silent realm
    Spoilered as some may be playing for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Star Lord wrote: »
    I'll personally be using them, as I found when they worked well, they added to the game really nicely.

Always found it funny, that when the Wii first came along, people were crying out for 1-1 sword/light saber actions in a game, when the likes of Red Steel gave an approximation of it, people wanted more of it, and more realistic mapping of the actions.

But when finally implemented well in something like Skyward Sword, people gave out about having to use the motion controls, in a game designed around them.

I know motion controls can be a divisive thing, but it was literally what people had been asking for!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Just like how people complain a sequel is too similar to the original but if they make too many changes then complain the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anymore on a release date for that project triangle strategy game as in a release date?

Played the demo and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmmm.... (Retweeted by Emily Rogers, who is usually good with Nintendo rumours)

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1397773814096809985?s=19

• Advertisement

So within the next 2 weeks? Wonder what it'll involve.

On a side note, how are we at E3 time already?
    And Emily is also saying Metroid will be coming this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

There's some rumours there could be an announcement today about the new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

There's some rumours there could be an announcement today about the new console.

Really? Haven’t seen any of those. Would love it got revealed today but it’s most likely going to be at E3

So within the next 2 weeks? Wonder what it'll involve.

On a side note, how are we at E3 time already?
    And Emily is also saying Metroid will be coming this year

2D metroid tho, not prime 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

glasso wrote:

Any metroid is good metroid

Grassey wrote: »
    Any metroid is good metroid

I'm not complaining, rather specifying :D

(as obviously Prime 4 has been signposted for years but seems to have gone through some dev turmoil and even a complete start-from-scratch)

the 2d GBA ones would be great if available on switch even.

glasso wrote: »

I'll take it. Or Prime HD Trilogy

But we'll get Federation force 2d?

I'll take it. Or Prime HD Trilogy

But we'll get Federation force 2d?

that would be great.

something more than a Skyward Sword cash-bodily-violation job has to be offered to salvage this year.

if the updated switch is actually launching in 2021 then that increases the chances of something more than quarter-arsed being released by Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I want MK9 or mutiny. I’ve found the switch to be terrible for games the last few years as it’s mostly Wii U ports and worse performing PS4/Xbox ports.

• Advertisement

90 or 100 indie roguelite / roguelikes every month seems to be the standard fare

Nintendo only really made a decent effort in the launch year and the year after in terms of quality first-party titles

Advertisement