Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Amazing analysis Syran and great stats!

I think what made this particular warm spell all the more gruelling was the unusually high dew points that came with it. They were relentless. Now, July 2013 was relentlessly uncomfortably hot and sunny also, but I do not recall that shocking level of humidity being so constant.

I hope in the next fine spell that occurs that temps will be a good 10 to 15 degrees lower (which would be still warm by any standards) As I said last week, one or two very hot days are fine, but the novelty very quickly wears off when that undeniable unpleasantness become all encompassing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Snow line will briefly get down to 1500m in parts of the West in the next few days. Winter's coming...ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Brilliant work as always Sryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

You want temps 10 to 15º lower? That would be 15 to 20º. No thanks! That's on the cool side even by Irish standards.

23 to 28º is the sweet spot for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The rain arrived here just before lunchtime. Jumper is back on. Don't mind the coolness after the past week.

It's 18-19c out now, and no way you could call today 'cool'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bucketing rain in west cork now. Roads getting flooded quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not surprised by '95 not being top of the list in terms of 'Meteorological Heat-Waves'. I don't remember it for the heat or sleepless nights. I remember it for literally 3 months of blue skies and low to mid 20's temps and pleasant nights. ...not that I was paying attention to daily maxima or anything like that back then pre internet. Then again being in Bray means I never see the Summer Maxima due to the maritime influence. Yesterday was as 'Hot' as any other day of the 'heat-wave' for me in Bray @ 23ºc-25ºc. Its other parts of the country that lost their Heatwave status and dropped down to the temps seen right on the Coast in the East. For us, this weekend was more of the same. I used to get jealous seeing the 29's and 30's elsewhere in the country but tbh 25-26ºc is about my max tolerance level before I get cranky so this period of 23-25ºc daily maxima for Bray has been perfect weather as far as I'm concerned. As good weather as I ever/have ever seen in Bray. If this is the end of it for the Summer then the only difference for me in Bray between this year and 1995/2013/2014/2018 will have been the duration of the 'heat-Wave'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So that looks to be it for any settled spell until at least mid August onwards. The good thing is if we do get another another settled period is that it is unlikely to be as hot, also the evenings will cool quicker. While some of you like the heat, the novelty wore off quick for me during this heatwave. 20 to 24 degrees would be the ideal temperatures from my perspective. So hopefully if we do get another settled spell, and late August can often deliver, we get temperatures within this range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thats great analysis sryan.

It was a quite remarkable spell and even more remarkable that I took a weeks holiday for that week months ago.

My next weeks holiday is August 16th...heatwave part 2.

Personally I prefer the temperatures be about 30 or 35 degrees colder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Has to be said the first half of August is looking very cool and unsettled, not just for Ireland but for a large area of northern Europe and western Europe. Apart from the med regions and south-eastern Europe the outlook is fairly grim. It looks like we do get a brief respite next Sunday/Monday and we have to hope that by then, the models may start to improve. I have hopes for the second half of August for things to settle down more but I would not be making any staycation plans over the next two weeks hoping for warm and sunny conditions. The weather over the next 7 to 10 days will be a north-west to south-east alignment of low pressures and usually when we get that it lasts for several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I was very fortunate to have last week off. Could not have timed it better. You'd be a bit gutted if you started your holidays this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Holidaying in West cork atm.

Was at Mizen head this afternoon to greet the return of our normal irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Oddly enough, I expected to feel the temperature drop today with a bang but haven't so far. Yes, it's not warm per se but I was in a mobbed Kildare Outlet Village earlier and most everyone was in shorts and tee-shirts (including myself) and plenty eating outside comfortably. It felt neutral (ie neither warm or cold), overcast and no wind and temp in my car said 19c so I wouldn't have classified it as jacket weather. However if a beach in Sicily in July in 30 degree sunshine was too cold for you to venture to, then you have a heat threshold that goes beyond anything that I'd considere normal. Your summer heating bills must cost more than my winter bills!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

I've always liked warmth, proper warmth. I've been out gardening the past hour, no jacket on but not even breaking a sweat. Most people would consider the current weather in the east as perfect gardening weather but I love to have sweat pouring from me.....a bit odd but that's just me. Heating bill wise, the heating is off for nearly 3 months now bar a few hours on a few days during some of the really cold days between now and then. Downstairs temperatures in the house are currently about 25° and upstairs is about 26/27° but mother nature had supplied all that lovely warmth.

Ironically, I love a cold bedroom so put on the air conditioning most nights to bring the room temperature down to about 16/17° but that's only because I like the feeling of a nice heavy duck feather duvet.

Post edited by highdef on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I definitely like my summers warm, not just for the good weather and improved mood that sunshine and warmth brings but the reduced heating bills. Last summer was expensive with so much cool and wet weather around. Didn't light the fire in May last year as we were still having great weather but once the second half of June hit, the fire was lit almost every day between then and the start of August. The last time I lit the fire this year was the final week of May just before the temperatures lifted up and not a fire has been lit since so almost a 2 month gap.

There will probably at least one day over the next week where heating may have to be turned on particularly if we get a cool day of persistent rain. Wednesday into Thursday look like being the coolest days of the coming week with temperatures up to 3 to 4 degrees below average on both days.

Current models do suggest that we will see an improvement in temperatures after this weekend with temperatures back to being average.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, as has been mentioned there is no sign of a settled spell before then, bar the odd day here and there. Once we get into these unsettled regimes they can take a long time to shift, but by the last week of August into September we might see a pattern change to something better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Fair play you timed the holidays well!

First day of our holidays today and yep it's a bit sickening - a full 15C drop in temps 🙈

Last ten days were great, but inland and particularly in the west - it was very uncomfortable most of the time due to the dead calm and the high humidity.

We went from daily maxes of 16-18C to 29-31C maxes and now back to the 16C this week. That's quite frustrating! (And seems very unusual)

Why can't we have a few 19-22C normal nice Irish summer days??!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

mental - we wer there on Sat and it was out of this world glorious.. (sorry - dunno if I can remove your pics from the quote {can we edit quotes?})

Are you advertising yourself for a job down here on the farm ?

Because we'd soon work that out of you 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭acequion

I timed my holidays even better. I left for Spain this morning having meant to be here last week. But no way was I missing a rare Irish mega heatwave so I was able to move my dates.

So I timed it perfectly and it is lovely to be back in heat but that said I'm nostalgic already for my beautiful garden in my quiet neigbourhood at home in Kerry. It truly was paradise in the sunshine. Spain is great but it's loud, noisy, busy, even with pandemic lower tourist numbers.

Ireland really is wonderful when the sun shines and the heat warms us up.I so very much hope we get more of it this summer. I criticise Ireland for all sorts of reasons but between Spanish sunshine or Irish, I'd chose Irish in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That was quite the change today , I actually felt chilly for a while at 17c even had to put on a jumper 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Mulranney beach and Carrowmore Beach which are on opposite sides of Clew Bay to each other were the Mayo beaches I went to. I also had a few evening swims on Enniscrone beach which I particularly enjoyed also during that warm spell. (Apologies for my late reply Tilden Katz!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Billcarson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not a drop of rain here in Dublin 12. Surprised and from a garden point (disappointed) nice morning so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

still not a single drop of rain here in Dublin 5. Garden is desperate for rain at this point. I thought there was meant to be a deluge yesterday and nothing fell

• Advertisement

Same here. Saw the warning issued yesterday and was expecting something more than just the few drops we got here and there.

New Moon

Advertisement