Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another beautiful day in North Dublin. Sunny blue skies and 24 degrees. Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

So this is it then we won't get another week like it this summer??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another week as good as it is highly unlikely but still plenty of time to get another nice spell of weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

The end of a great spell of weather is now touching Belmullet. By 9pm there will be more cloud in the West. Last night sleeping on the quilt instead of under it. Still think there will be many nice days in August too though the next week looks poor.

Anyways 23c today seems as high as Sligo is going. Cloudless still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After a considerably cooler day yesterday in Meath today is back with one last day of warmth. Got to 26C here earlier, currently 25C. Tomorrow could be the the last day to reach 20C or more for the forseeable future. The muck will be back from Tuesday and by next weekend this heatwave will be a distant memory. Hopefully we will start to see a sign of things warming up and settling down in the models over the course of the next two weeks. Very sad to see this warmth and sunshine go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Thick fog this morning here in Achill, but it cleared quickly to a warm, clear breezy day. Much fresher this evening. I just closed the windows for the first time in over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Blue skies on the Arran islands today and a lovely boat ride out

Please never go away sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Personally delighted to see the end of this. This weather makes me feel ill and have absolutely awful headaches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's what happens when you are Tom Cruises left nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I think with the ending of this spell its highly likely the main heat of this summer over now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Predicted temperature anomaly for the first week of August .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Beautiful evening in North kildare. Temperature peaked at 27.9° around 17:40 and boy did it feel gorgeous. Cooking pizza on the outside oven at the moment and it's still very pleasant even at this stage of the evening. Probably the most pleasant late evening in this part of the country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Is there any forecast to suggest we might get more heat this Summer or is that it? So sad to see it go, found it very hot but am sooo getting used to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next week or two not much heat and heatwaves finishing tonight and tomorrow in the East.

However there may be the odd pleasant day in the next few weeks just nothing like what wev just had....for another few YEARS probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Said it before…any forecast beyond 4-5 days is absolute lottery. Going to enjoy the remaining nice day here tomorrow and then the garden will finally see rain.

will really miss this amazing spell of weather but who is to say there won’t be another nice spell a week from now. I never trust long range forecasts. Chances of getting a spell like this again this summer is very remote but sunny and even low 20s I would take.

Regardless of what happens from here June and July have been superb overall here in Dublin. This will go down as a nice summer regardless of what transpires in August. Getting 3 straight good months of weather is a very tall order in Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's happened twice already this summer, the charts look very grim and then about 5 days into the grimness everything suddenly improves. The 'grim' charts in the middle of June only resulted in 3 cool days and then it was back to decent weather. The 'grim' weather in the first week of July really only lasted a week and even that had a few nice days thrown in and temperatures were reasonably warm.

I think this upcoming cool and unsettled spell may perhaps last at least a week to 10 days and hopefully big improvements will show across the charts and models by this time next week.

Ireland one of the warmest places in Europe today away from the Mediterranean. Not often you see this outside of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Looking at the GFS and ECM it's not looking too bad next weekend at the moment? Bit of ridging going on or am I seeing things?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

You're right about long range forecast, I will live in hope of further warm spells and blue skies. It's been amazing and so needed after such a cold Spring and lockdown misery. Thanks for replies guys.

Next weekend is currently looking dry and maybe the Monday too, but we will be on the cool side with winds in from the north or north-west so it won't be warm but at least it should be dry. Temperatures mid to high teens and maybe a few eastern or southern areas might scrape a 20C if there are decent spells of sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

looks wet for the coming week, that's the payoff i suppose😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

some difference this morning for sure. I will say a brief welcome change from the constant heat. I did say brief!!

Was hoping we would get some sunshine and low level warmth today in Meath but it's already over. Slate grey skies and temperature only 16C, will be lucky to see any sunshine today. Big band of rain waiting just off the west coast.

Beautiful day so far in Arklow, we are in an oasis of sun

Cloud to the west north and east but blazing Sun

Currently 20c

Must say I've loved this last week here,just lovely warmth with none of the extreme heat inland

One or 2 days above 24c

All mostly 22 to 24 Dawn to dusk

Here's my current view on the farm looking East

The sea is beyond the hill in front about 2kms away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

cloudy and a whole lot cooler here in cork city. i don't mind the respite from the heat. but can the sun come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Yup. missing the decent enough warmth (relative to Ireland) and sun big time already. Feels quite chilly out there (North Kildare), requiring a light jacket to keep the chill at bay. It's currently 12° colder in my back garden now compared to 18:00 yesterday!

Already thinking about booking a week or two away somewhere warmer and sunnier with temperatures preferably in excess of 30°. Looking at a lovely quiet place I went to in southeast Sicily last year when restrictions were lifted for a while in late summer, where I just went for walks, lay in the sun, paddled in the pool and cooked outdoors at the villa....pure relaxation and always warm, day and night. I was 5 minutes walk away from a beautiful beach but funnily enough I never actually stepped foot on it as I wanted the proper heat to be felt as much as possible. Temperatures over the next week there are from the low to mid, sometimes high 30's.....the temptation is growing! Huge thunderstorms would form only a few kilometres inland every single day and I did drive out one of the days to experience one of them.

Unfortunately I won't be able to travel abroad any time soon, not until things return to normal for everyone all over Europe with the only requirement being a normal traditional travel passport and no restrictions/mask wearing on a holiday. At least we got some southern European style heat over the past 7 to 10 days. I really enjoyed the warmth over the past 2 weeks and while the next 7 days looks fairly poor, I'd be more than happy to get another week of settled and sunny weather in August, even if temperatures only max out at 22 or 23C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Now that the heatwave is officially over for all stations with no chance of anywhere reaching 25C or more today, time to analyse the statistics of it.

First off, here is the daily maxima table of all synoptic stations and Durrow/Kilkenny climate stations from 16-25 July. A total of 6 of the selected 27 stations kept heatwave conditions throughout (achieving at least 25C each day) for the 10 consecutive days - these being Athenry, Ballyhaise, Claremorris, Moore Park, Mount Dillon and Shannon Airport. Some stations like Durrow and Kilkenny fell short on 24th July so they had 8 consecutive days instead.

Secondly, here is a table of all the past heatwaves I have analysed (one station per heatwave based on which station had the longest duration and the highest mean max) with all the 2021 station heatwaves included too. As mentioned, the July 2021 heatwave lasted for 10 days for those stations which maintained heatwave status throughout the period. This was not as long as the late June/early July 2018 heatwave which lasted up to 18 consecutive days at Kilkenny and was the longest on available record. However, the fact it lasted 10 consecutive days makes it the longest 'mid-summer' heatwave since 1995 which might be hard for some to believe and frankly, I find it a bit mad myself.

Here's the above table condensed to only include all the past July heatwaves including 1976 and 2018 even though they began in June. If we don't include those two which began in June, July 2021 was the longest July heatwave on available record with the previous record of 9 consecutive days held by July 1934, July 1983, July 1989 and July 2013.

The July 1989 and 2013 heatwaves, particularly the 2013 one which tends to be remembered more, were longer in most people's minds I'm sure than this July's one. However, both were broken up by a few days of cooler conditions mid-month like in the case of 2013, the heatwave for most stations lasted from 8-12 July (5 consecutive days) with some lasting 6-13 July and in the case of Cashel in the table below, 6-14 July. The Azores High ridge weakened by the 13-14 July with cloud and cooler air filtering in from the northwest bringing an end to the statistical heatwave. However, we had seen a reinvigoration of the ridge by the 17 July with very warm or hot conditions returning but heatwave conditions (5 consecutive days of 25C or more) were not met and this would end already by 21/22 July.

31.2C at Durrow on 22 July was Ireland's highest July temperature since 2006 and third highest since 1983 to my knowledge.

Other things to remember from this heatwave which have already been noted but I'll summarise as a reminder to keep all in one post:

• The 7-day period 16-22 July was the sunniest July 7-day period on record for Dublin Airport and sunniest for any 7-day period since late June/early July 2018.
    • Gurteen reached its peak of 29C at 8 p.m. on 19 July, very late for a temperature that high in Ireland.
    • Valentia Observatory recorded 2 consecutive tropical nights on 22 and 23 July. The first time tropical nights have been recorded consecutively in Ireland as well as at an synoptic station and first since August 2001 anywhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy day now in west cork, can see the rain creeping in on the radar. One last quick cut of the grass and then it's onto watching the Olympics instead of sunbathing!

Very humid/sweaty still though. Thundery atmosphere but don't think we will see any down here.

• Advertisement

Will be cutting the lawn soon. The neighbourhood is fairly noisey with so many people cutting lawns and strimming in time to beat the rain.

Advertisement