Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

My goodwe inverter regularly hits 70+ c and have got some quite big fans to try to cool it but with this humidity it's a losing battle. Wish I had insisted more with the installer not to put it in attic void where he wanted.

My self install Solis seems to run mid 20-mid 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭championc

My problem is my batteries and inverters in the shed - during winter. I got a tubular heater and sit that beneath the cells now, and the on/off switch for it is a smart IFTTT on/off switch, looking at local temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'll be getting a few sheets of foam insulation and just building them around the shelving in winter.

Would anyone have a link to the 5kw version of drphil's batteries. Also is there an issue with having 5kw now and adding another 5 at a later stage as due to funds at the minute may be restricted to only 5kw. Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You need 15 or 16 cells to get the voltage required to run the inverter.

To get 5kw you would be looking at 100ah cells.

• Advertisement

And the 100ah cells appear to have far flimsier terminals and busbars.

Seriously, save the few quid and get the 200ah CALB cells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Interesting bit of tech, batteries with no inverter needed. Have a feeling if it's not vapour ware it's success will boil down to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,823 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Over €5k for 5kWh, hahahaha!!!

And you don't even get wifi capabilities for that!

My 10kWh completely independent AC side grid tied smart battery / inverter system with wifi, app and data logging cost me less than €2k all in...

That sounds incredible value and must involve some massive discounts.

What battery have you installed unkel and appreciate it you could send link as even looking at AliExpress I can't see 10kw for less than $2000

My battery is the same as the others from AliExpress, I think it was about €1300 including shipping for the 16 200Ah CALB cells (10kWh usable). I had a look the other day and this supplier most of us used had sharply increased their prices but there was another supplier who sold them for €1200 (including EU taxes), no feedback from that supplier though, so be careful

I bought my inverter second hand (in as new condition) from a UK renewables forum. GBP400 including shipping

Add about €80 for BMS with bits and bobs and about €140 for cables and an RCBO and fuse and AC and DC disconnects (all incl. shipping) so indeed just under €2k for the lot

• Advertisement

The price has shot up. The 10kWh pack I paid €1.3k for is now €1.9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Does that includes the new Ali taxes/customs? They seem to add that on so you can't cheat the tax man anymore

Jeez that's a great price for your setup as looks like it's nearly 2k now for the batteries alone. Disappointing do will have to look at other options of batteries instead.

Lads, look beyond the supplier we all used. Not all of them have increased their prices.

There are no new AliExpress taxes/customs. The only thing that changed this month is that all imports from outside the EU worth less than €22 will now attract VAT

Could you link them please unkel as have looked at 200ah calb lifepo4 16pcs and they are all showing at $1900+. Only found one for 1235 dollars but no reputation and customs taxes due with that one. Also found it strange that it's 10$ delivery for October or 15$ for DHL within two weeks. Seems quite cheap. Shame there is no reputation for that seller or reviews.

On a sidenote there seems to be pylontech supply issues. Have noticed they have been out of stock for last 8 weeks and not available here until sept or October at earliest according to midsummer and solartricity

So you're saying the market for second hand PylonTech is high right now?

;)

You could end up making a profit on the whole thing yet if you take advice from unkel as to how much to sell for

Don't know about second hand but new there is little supply for next 8 weeks or so anyway. Prices haven't gone up in any way though thankfully.

Are you considering selling your pylontechs? Are they us3000 or us2000?

They're US2000 and I will be selling eventually once my LiFePo4 setup is complete.

• Advertisement

I will keep an eye out for those Phil when you are putting them up.

How is your lifepo4 setup progressing?

Too effin hot in the attic to go work on them lol

Hopefully get back at it in a few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...it's a few days ;-)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Impatient git...

I've wired up the bottom shelf to the BMS. Saturday evening I'll get the rest done and then it's just a matter of configuring the inverter and flicking the switch.

OK finally an update...

Shipped the wife off to work this afternoon and got stuck in. I had already wired the first block of batteries, second set in place now and the BMS connected.

Only thing left is the final piece of the puzzle, connect the BMS and the batteries to the inverter, say a prayer and flick the switch.

Some pics:

Excellent work Phil. Fingers crossed for the launch date 👍

Well done Phil.

Simply check that your positive and negative leads, that will go to the inverter, are reading sound 53.3v (3.33 x 16). Once it is, you're pretty much good to go.

Yup, checked that earlier.

Calling over to my neighbour tomorrow, he's a mechanic. Going to get him to chop my negative cable so I can put new rings on it and connect to either end of the shunt.

The ones I have are serious overkill lol, 70mm cables. So I'll let a man with heavier tools do the job of cutting them.

There's a serious side to all of this, which is getting to know the system inside out and also becoming more comfortable around the battery cells and voltages

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Going great there Phil, I'm really on the fence with a battery setup with having two EV's but will continue to keep my stats and usage and should there be a permanent move to return to work then the decision may need to be looked at again but likely not until next year's generation months (April 2022+)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement