Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

We are live...

Force charging it initially to get a full charge and set the levels.

Had to change the battery setting from Pylontech to LG Chen and bingo.

Massive thanks to all here for keeping me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭championc

You won't know yourself with all that battery power. You'll be lucky to even use any grid power at night with that setup

Well done for taking the plunge into uncomfortable waters, when others didn't have the same courage. But you've been rewarded with the lower price, compared to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah well done, I think many here aspire to do the same eventually

Now all you have to do is write a step by step guide and send us the PDF 😂

What's the charge/discharge rate, can you do 100A/100A to max out the inverter?

Also what's the total battery capacity, I know you have 32 cells but can't remember their rating.

I have a step by step in a previous post, but I think the Doc can confirm the accuracy

I think my inverter maxes at 63a. It was set to 50a and I'm currently force charging at 10a to get it up to full.

• Advertisement

I have a 6kw solis and it can do 100a charge/discharge and your inverter looks the exact same so I would say yours should be able to do it, if it's a 5G

These particular batteries can discharge way in excess of those levels

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Phil's inverter is only the 4G one, maxes out at 63amp. - could be an upgrade option if expanding the system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Maybe it’s been mentioned before but I've seen lots of batteries “strapped” together, why is this and why not here?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

As in battery compression?

Some battery can swell a bit when charging so packing them in a box or strapping them together stops them from swelling and shifting around.

Mind you, if they do try to swell and they're compressed, what happens? I would have thought that forcing a battery to stay in shape if its trying to swell was a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement

The cells we're working with dont really need it - quite sturdy plastic, and we arent putting them under much "pressure" power wise,

The other type of cells - like the ones seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTwzPZ9MDQ do need something it seems, but its more of a holding pressure where you still could slide the cells - and they do expand very slightly when charged. they arent "squeezed" together.

He had a set of 180ah CALB cells that he's decomissioned, (because of the 280ah ones).

Batteries should finish balancing tonight, so I'll be proper live overnight.

So @unkel, chief sales expert, what you reckon the PylonTech are worth?

One is 1 year old, the other about 10 months.

I have a few enquiries from boardsies so not going to rip anyone off, but at the same time they are in high demand and out of stock everywhere so I can't be too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,780 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm a chief purchase expert. Not so much sales 😂

Hard to say, and with this stuff some people are prepared to pay over the odds. If you're on FB EV owners groups, try there first to maximise your revenue. People on this forum are generally far more savvy when it comes to costs of PV stuff. Obviously your location doesn't help though. Stick them on adverts too with a price 20% under the cheapest you can find them for retail. Then accept an offer if it comes close enough for your liking.

Fair enough.

Cheapest retail I've found was about €1k but they're all out of stock. So list for €800 each, sounds fair.

So where's the fully finished pics?

Maybe links to outside of boards.

The compression on the "new" boards is an absolute joke, let's compress everything to 320 x 420 images, people don't need to see what's actually in the images but hey we're saving money on storage....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,780 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A 2 minute google shows them for about €900 in stock incl. VAT in another EU country. You would need to add shipping to that, but yeah, advertise for €775 and accept a reasonable offer close enough to that

Sorry, I only use boards on mobile so didn't realise it was playing silly beggars.

Few more pictures.

I had an old WiFi camera lying around so I hooked it up and pointed it at the BMS for some basic remote monitoring lol.

The system just went live this evening around 6pm. Hit the 56v which triggered the BMS to synchronise as 100% charged. The communication with the Solis is spot on (Bravo ZEVA BMS) and the inverter displayed the same.

The missus knocked the oven on around the same time which drew from the batteries as it should, and now that the sun has buggered off I'm discharging perfectly.

I'll get some more pictures in detail later.

• Advertisement

The promised extra pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So jealous. Well done and enjoy the rewards of all the hard work you put in. If the weather there is anything like in Dublin you will get full value out of that charge.

Weather is absolutely pish in Donegal today. Generating a grand total of 180w currently and 1.3kWh for the day so far.

Battery still at 59% though and nothing taken from the grid so far. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Same here. 160W and 1.0 kWh so far. Unlike you I have been importing from the grid all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

That's brilliant that after a full nights discharge to still be at 59% mid morning!

Guess you don't have anyone gaming in your house, would have flown through that no probs.

20kw battery will be my target if I go down this route.

Would it be possible to buy these batteries and BMS via an installer so you can avail of the grant when do a solar PV install for the first time?

Very unlikely. Not sure where they stand grant wise,

and then who's responsible if something goes wrong/not work correctly.

With DIY the buck stops with us.

An option is get the basic battery, get grant and then start changing things.

Made it through a second night and still at 30%. Half decent day today so I reckon I'll make it to midnight without purchasing any energy.

Currently charging up again.

• Advertisement

What's the total usable kwh of the battery array?

For SOC did you go 10-100% or 20-90% for max longevity?

Advertisement