Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I don't see the problem with the likes of terms like tropical nights etc. The media can be a bit annoying and all that but I don't see the problem.

If a tropical night is temperatures not falling below 20c ,Whats a tropical day lol? When temps reach 30c?

We have ice days when temps don't get above zero, whats an ice night or Arctic night lol? When temperatures get into double minus figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Much nicer out today in Kilkenny, about 5C to 6C cooler than this time yesterday.

Last night was better for sleeping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

With high pressure over Greenland next week we won't be seeing any tropical nights for a while lol.

The next week or 2 might even feel like the first taste of autumn .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

23.1C here near Tralee this morning.

Cars coated in dust this morning brought down by the brief rain last night, anyone else experience this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If the people in the 1800s had the internet or forecasting like we have now, and could see these events coming before they got here, they would have named all of the little storms and would have been talking about ‘the beast’ just like we do now

giving Things names when discussing them is natural

and things haven’t been ‘normal’ for a long time. Scientists predicted climate change, but you seem to want to wait until the predictions have already happened before acknowledging the science

there have been thousands of research papers investigating this, but you’ll still be taken by surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Sunday is looking a lot better than it did a couple of days ago for me. 28c possible today and tomorrow. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What is 'normal' though? Having real storms like those mentioned run absolute devastation over the west of Ireland? I think if the people of the 1800s seen what we call 'storms' today, they would laugh their behinds off.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have just been outside and the heat in the open is searing. No staying out in it.

West Mayo offshore

11am

Newport Mayo 24c

Finner 23c

Valentia 23c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Newport 25°c

Kerry Airport 24°c

Finner 24°c

12pm

Fabulous morning and afternoon here in West Clare, hardly a cloud in the sky. Nice and warm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

A perfect summers day

You can actually get out and do things

ideal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice day here in Meath but temperatures back to normal now for the time of year, currently 19C.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Newport 27°c at 1pm.

If you look up "Irish weather online" on Facebook you can see MT's forecasts for the period boards was offline, if that's any interest.

Headline on rte page "Hot spell has ended" Newport Mayo 27c disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's 25c in Sligo today n prob tomorrow too. Hot spell has far from ended. Maybe on RTEAST it has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

Yeah, saw that headline and thought it was a big ridiculous alright. It’s ended in Dublin for now, perhaps. But even here it could reach 25 or so again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another cracker here in the west. Newport 27 degrees.

Cloudy mouldy start in Arklow with a few drops of rain

Decent after that but very windy today

East northeast gusting to 30kmh

Currently 18.4c

Certainly no heatwave here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Aye, we’re usually sadly looking over at the UK. Their week has been much more mixed than ours for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Beautiful in North kildare. Sipping on a strawberry daiquiri in the garden wearing next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I like that we now have names for those events. Most people don’t follow meteorology closely. I see no reason to be disdainful of them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

Bit premature alright, several places forecast to get up to 27-28 tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Saw RTÉ headline also and thought it a bit premature all right, got up to 24.8C here near Tralee and 24C atm.

Today is an absolute peach of a day, lovely sea breeze, blue skies and endless sunshine, sea water was incredibly warm today with the tide coming in. A few towers going up inland a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Lovely day here in NI too. 24c with strong sunshine. Certainly feels a bit cooler than the past week, but still a very warm day and the sun has me sweating buckets. Hot spell not over here either in my opinion. Some years 24c is the best day of the year. One more good day tomorrow and it should be game over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Headed to Tralee this weekend. Glorious blue skies unlike the haze of most of last week in Dublin. My phone saying 26c right now and feels like it after a day of endless sun at Castlegregory beach below!😎 ⛱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Me and the rest of the neighbourhood committee were going to come over and ask could you move into your back garden 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential rain and thunder in Castlebar now, nearly the same time as it kicked off yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭barneyrub

Def not gone here in Sligo. Another beautiful day. Afternoon at the beach.... Bit of a breeze compared to yesterday but it was needed.

Lovely clear evening now

Advertisement