Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Posting in a thread doesn't add the thread under my threads and since I can't lookup my posts it can be hard to find threads you posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

On Desktop if you click just above trending, my threads etc. but miss the box it collapses the entire site and needs to be refreshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• No way to cancel a drafted post on a thread. Tried removing all text and Save Draft, didn't work.
    • It used to be possible to find a forum (category?) using the Search widget at the top. Now that finds only discussions. Finding this Feedback forum on mobile required me to do a text search of the Categories page (I think). Ridiculously inconvenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

On OnePlus 7T, Android 11, there is missing information to the right hand side that is there on iPhone 11.

The Replies section with post count per thread is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@smuggler.ie wrote

try filter by "places"

That advanced search function doesn't appear to exist on mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looks like the "Online buying and Auctions" sub forum in Consumer section is locked without anyone able to post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Quoting a post by Mouse Middle Click on the quote button doesn't hold onto the quoted post when opened in a new tab it just opens the new tab onto the top of the page. Quoting multiple posters is not fun as it will spin the page down to about half way on a page full of posts - not to the reply box as it should making it extremely hard to find your way back to the post you were at also.

CTRL + Clicking the quote button in a post doesn't open a new tab at all it spins the page down as above.

You can multi quote by clicking on multiple posts but again as above it spins the page or attempts to, with the lack of post number (#xxxx) it makes it hard to keep track of where you are in the thread.

Missing multi quote button!

• Advertisement

If you are on a tab i.e. "My Forums" clicking on that tab again does not refresh the list as it should. I'm not too sure but I think it did previously (yesterdays maintenance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't think it did..... that's been annoying me for a long time now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Somebody posted on the Amazon thread 2 minutes ago. Looks open now - may not have been when you posted:

https://boards.ie/discussion/comment/117641111#Comment_117641111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thread titles which include quotation marks are not formatting correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I quote a post in order to reply to one or two points, in, say, a 5 paragraph post.

Previously I could delete all the bits I'm not replying to. Now I can't. There's just the whole quoted post there, which is completely useless - I can't edit that at all to cut it down, and when I finish my reply and post it, the entire quoted post is sitting there at the top.

What's the point of that?

TL;dr: Please restore the functionality to delete parts of and/or edit quoted posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought the downtime yesterday would import the 'my forums' but I still don't have them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Desktop - Chrome

• Functionality of "go to first new post" doesn't seem to be available any longer
    • I can't find a way to "mark all forums as read" so that I can see new stuff at a glance
    • When leaving a comment it's not obvious how to format text (though I've just noticed the "paragraph" mark to the left of where you're typing has some of functionality, but not all. Double clicking a word gives you more formatting options, like bold and strikethrough, but the icons have no alt text/tool tips for accessibility.

It's no longer simple to find new responses to a topic you've posted in easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

Few issues that are bugging me:

• I can bookmark a thread but not a forum on desktop. Can follow a forum on mobile OK.
    • Read and unread threads look the same.
    • Clicking on thread title sometimes takes me to first unread, sometime just to the top of the page that includes first unread post.
    • The header bar on mobile (with menu, board logo and avatar) should remain visible when scrolling down.
    • "Breadcrumbs Trail" to forum should remain visible.
    • Time on posts is out by an hour.
    • Sometimes when writing a comment on mobile the "Post Comment" button doesn't respond - this also just happened on Desktop with this post.
    • Of course the absence of "My Forums" drop-down menu.

I'm sure these are already mention but no harm reiterating the issues.

No it didn't. I have been doing that constantly out of habit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,645 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wanted to quote a poster who previously made a statement and wanted to look up his/her post. Click on the person's username and you can't see there old posts, this is on mobile.

Anyone trying to edit a post on mobile (not sure if I been answered already) click the cog wheel at the top of your post and it gives the edit option.

• Advertisement

The noficatio s are filli g up my screen and boards is drowning in the. Mmmhelp... Suffocating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You can see a users comments if you scroll right down to the bottom of their profile page, where there should be an option to click on marked "comments".

Of course, it's far more difficult, counterintuitive and cumbersome than the absolutely effortless way there was previously - and of course the way the comments are formatted and listed once you click in would break your heart - but the basic feature exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

@Lumen Cudos, i am using desk so didnt realize that. should start mentioning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There are a *load* of them pre-enabled in your Profile - I turned the vast majority of them off.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the main new look boards feedback thread, my browser(Firefox on mac) tells me a page is slowing down my browser. It appears to be javascript based. Clicking on the like button takes about four seconds to register the action. If I tell firefox to stop whatever it is slowing things down and then try to hit like I get this:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Major freezing going on in both touch and desktop the last half hour or so.

Typing this to see if I can actually get a post through in one go.....

ETA ok, maybe whatever fit the site was having is over.....

On the mobile version I am still being inundated with notifications, can't find my posts and there are no second pages of forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I cant find a way to see who liked my post on my I phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭davetherave

This is probably much more helpful than dozens of pages of the same Roll it Back and this is terrible posts.

Desktop Site:

• Functionality - An easy way to see another users posts. Again, I'm assuming this will be coming shortly but even something like on the mobile site where I can go to a profile and click on comments.
    • User Experience - Add a comma to the post count.
    • Functionality - To bookmark a thread that you post in, either enabled automatically by default or an option in the profile to select to do it automatically if the user wishes.
    • Bug - If there are two posts (or possibly more) by a user on the same page, then hovering over the username on the lower post activates/displays the dropdown menu on the higher post.

• Functionality - Show the the Groups that a user is a part of, moreso to ID a mod or admin type rather than just Registered Users, like it does on the mobile site.

Thanks.

Anyone remember what starting a car with a choke was like on a frosty morning?

If you don't it spluttered like Boards today. 🙄

You can only see on the Desktop site. I think you click 'aA' in your browser settings to change over.

On Android when you change you have to hold over the Like button, cancel the notification that tells you you react to your own post, and then you'll see the first 10 I think. This is on the ever expanding list of things to fix!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is there a way to get the Childfree by Choice forum more accessible? https://boards.ie/categories/childfree-by-choice

Currently, the only way I can get to it is by manually going to https://boards.ie/categories/whats-new and accessing it through that. It doesn't appear in https://boards.ie/categories as a child forum, and the link under the Family subcategory doesn't work. It makes the forum totally hidden unless you try really hard to get to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Many inbound links from Google search are of the form :

boardsdotie/ttforum/1522/10

boardsdotie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18/86?sortby=most_recent

cannot type domain as forum tries to fetch it

All are now 404 on site, which effectively nukes any SEO benefit from 20+ years of posting.

What's the boards slogan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Site is way too slow. Even hovering or clicking "Like" (should be "Thank") takes ages.
    • Can't see who thanked a post without hovering and only a few can be seen.
    • Need full date and time on all posts, time can only be seen on today's posts (e.g. you want to get back to kickoff time in a sports thread to avoid spoilers)
    • Need post numbers!
    • Need an individual link for each post (as used to be on the post number)
    • Need to be easily able to search your own and other posters' posts
    • Date ordering in searches seems to be all over the place (as well as the last post date issue)
    • Posting in a thread doesn't automatically follow it
    • Threads with unread posts look the same as ones which are all read.
    • No BBcode. Formatting text is difficult and limited.
    • Waay too much wasted screen real estate. User info on the left is much too wide. Huge wasted grey area on the right. Even the big gap between one post and the next wastes space.
    • Basically on desktop we have something a bit like the old touch site, but with about half of that limited amount of functionality not working...

Scrap the cap!

Just discovered a new one :

• When you reply to a thread your post appears at the bottom, but any new posts which were added while you were typing don't appear unless you refresh the whole page

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone figure out how to receive email notifications from threads you have previously posted in. It always worked in the old site. I've enabled what I though was the option here already but no emails. Enabled pop up but if you don't click it instantly it disappears and then it's gone.

The two 'new' forums, 3D Printing and Childfree by Choice, do show up there, but Vanilla has basically created duplicate forums for those that sit under multiple parent forums (or that had redirects from one forum to another on the old boards). This is what shows up when you go to the Childfree by Choice forum listed under Topics under Family:

Whereas all the old threads are accessible through the very obscure and hard to find route of going through Categories. Topics doesn't have the "What's New/New Forums" listed as a topic, if you get me.

• When you hover over a username, a box appears with "View Profile" and "Send Private Message", but you can't click on either of them as it disappears as soon as you move the mouse.
    • The avatars have been ruined. Used to be a decent sized rectangle, now a tiny circle which renders them pointless
    • When I click on my avatar, I get a box with white text on light grey background! Seriously?? It took me a while to realise that there was text there at all
    • I can see my PM Inbox but not my Sent messages.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ugh, yeah, I see what you mean. Other option is to follow the forum, which can only be done on mobile 🙄. Go to https://boards.ie/categories/whats-new, then click the gear-wheel to the right of Childfree, and click follow on the pop-up.

Then on desktop, you can go to https://boards.ie/categories?followed=1

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

Hi ,

I seem to be getting alerts for everything in the richer sounds talk to me forum but i am not subscribed...Any ideas

Thanks!

Now that's helpful (if a clunky workaround). Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭davetherave

It is being called the inbox, but it has all of the messages in there, kind of.

The blue one, I sent a message, and didn''t get a reply. Which is grand, there is only one message between me and blueman.

The black ones were all to the same person but with different subjects. Black 2 on the 29th of June was a direct reply to my message to them also on the 29th of June and had my message quoted (and their original message to me).

I sent a message to Red, and Red replied to me without quoting my post, so maybe that's why it shows as two message, and it is displaying as two seperate posts when you go into that "thread" or "message group". My PM to Red, and Reds PM back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Found a pretty serious one. If someone quotes a post which quotes a post, but they have quote level set to 1, the text of the first post is attributed to the second poster.

Let's say Alice posts : Something offensive, libellous or defamatory

Then Bob quotes Alice's post:

Bob: Alice posted "Something offensive, libellous or defamatory" No Alice, you're wrong and here's why...

Then Carol quotes Bob:

Carol: Bob posted "Something offensive, libellous or defamatory" Text Carol posted.

NOT good. Not good at all.

Scrap the cap!

@Boards.ie: Niamh Tagging you as I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this thread. Lots of relevant bugs etc listed here

Feedback

On desktop, windows 10, chrome

Clicking on "Discussions" brings me to a page showing the latest posts for all forums. The url is https://boards.ie/discussions

However, if I am on mobile and I go to the Discussions page I see the same. The url is also https://boards.ie/discussions

On mobile, if I now set the view to "Following" instead of all, the Discussions page will only show content for the forums I'm following. The url on mobile is now https://boards.ie/discussions?followed=1 There is more to the url, but that is the only part that matters

Now if I come back to desktop and open that page again, I now see the same content as what I just set on mobile even though I have not made any changes to the site on desktop. There is no view button to change between All & Following on desktop so I have to go back to the mobile site to switch between views. The desktop url has not changed during this as remains as https://boards.ie/discussions

Lastly, using the mobile url https://boards.ie/discussions?followed=1 on desktop works fine.

Just some weird behaviour that I wanted to flag

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement