Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

getting hit with that same Working thing myself at the mo ..no mails yet though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Got a deposit through anyway, very likely I’ll back off in the end but hey it’s €4 to buy some decision-making time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I managed to get a reservation in for the expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I am super dubious about this, especially as a former purchaser of Valve Hardware. While yes, it looks great from the outside, so did the Steam Link (occasionally use this), Steam Controller and the Steam Machine and a few years later they're largely forgotten.

I can't help but feel, especially looking at Reddit, that a lot of the old Valve's good graces are still going strong and the PC community is willing to go exceptionally easy on them as a company, despite previous failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thing is, there's a huge audience for this kind of device even without the Valve edge. SBC gaming, retro handheld and the newer Windows based handhelds are becoming a major market and for the spec of the device, it's really a great price. Chinese handhelds like the GPD WIN 2 and Aya Neo AMD can cost you upwards of a grand and by the sounds of it, won't have as much grunt as this device that's half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well that's funny

Your account is too new to reserve early. Reservations will open for you on Sunday July 18th, 10am PDT

Edit: got it now

Post edited by Skerries on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I thought gamestop did them? Its a 4 euro refundable deposit so no loss if I can't make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh I totally get what you mean, but I'm still not exactly inspired about the product, even with the Valve name on it. An awful, awful lot of handhelds don't last long, they'll easily run into hardware and battery issues.

I'm not saying at all that this will be a bad product, I think it looks really interesting and hopefully it's amazing, but I think you'd be as foolish to pre-order this as pre-ordering the Stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Daaamn. Had it in payment and it took my 4e and all but just never made it past the "working" bit on the screen. Looks like I didn't get one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Trying since the very second it went live and had no luck with errors. Now I'm locked out of purchasing it for an unknown amount of time. Good stuff.

Locking people out of purchasing because they tried to get in early is some bullshit though 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Getting the same too new error. Account 10+ years old with loads games.

I'm sure it's bots smashing the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I still have one in my basket. I'll keep seeing if it goes through during the evening sometime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Im definitely in the ‘need more info before committing’ camp, but the one big difference for Stadia is that it requires Google’s notoriously flaky commitment to keep the service live, which is a big disclaimer. This is reliant on just Steam, the most omnipresent and reliable service there is, and operates as a little PC on its own terms. It’ll still be a potentially very useful device if Valve do a Valve and stop making them.

The big questions are around performance and hands-on hardware comfort / quality, rather than Valve’s commitment. The sheer vastness of Steam’s library means you’ve got a great range of games on this thing no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Check your email. I was the same and got my receipt for it while it was still stuck on working.

It’ll also show on the store page whether you have one reserved, so worth checking there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm not too worried about this. Even if the device is a vfailure the innovations from these devices always get put back into the main steam pc client. Steam machines gave us big picture mode and steam controllers gave us steam input. I think this device mostly exissts an platform to push their proton solutions for playing games outside of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got mine , pretty much an impulse buy , but can't wait to get some serious emulation running on it and my laptop is near 5 years old so will get the dock.at some stage to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is there even a market for this?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely reminds me of the Game Gear. Short Battery life n all!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

From the way steam fell over under the rush to buy. Yes there is a huge market for it.

I'm past the account too new bit. Now I'm stuck on the failing checkout bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

On Review and Purchase and its still "working", for a good 5 minutes now.

Got through. Was sticking on the working and failed to initialise the transaction loop. But the working bit just popped through to purchase and it worked.

Got the mid tier one. Was tempted to get the cheaper but I think it will drive me nuts running out of space.

Got a timeout :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Got the mid tier one. Didn't think it would go through. I wanted the anti glare screen but feck it. Got til next year to save!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Stuck on payment info page, just won't continue :(

This looks great. Was going to get a switch pro (which didn't get announced as expected) but as my laptop only has on board graphics too crap to run anything, this ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Yeah I got that after a while, nice!

No idea if I'll actually bother with this when it comes out but.. always nice to get the reservation in.

Finally got through, chrome pop blocker blocked steam going to my credit card authorization page. So be wary of that.

I ordered the 512 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Got mine. 256GB model. Looking forward to this. So it'll be possible to use this for an xbox game pass account also? Hopefully the dock will be cheap because I might even get two. One for use near screen and keyboard/mouse and another near the TV to use this like a console with controller. Seems like lots of options with this.

Advertisement