Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Deck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You could cancel and then order in a few months if finance changes. But I would hold off until the last minute.

I've been putting €100 a month onto my Steam account. Will be paid for before shipping and I won't notice the chunk of change leaving the account at Christmas.

Steam Deck Launch has slipped by 2 months. If you are in the first batch it won't now be ready until Feb 2022 at the earliest.

I'm in Q2 anyway so now I guess it will be the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Valve Time™

TBF, probably expected given the state of things at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Reservation changed from Q2 to After Q2 😔. There goes my slim hope of Q2 meaning April. I had hoped that the wait times would get shorter after launch, but it looks like its only going in the other direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A month away is not 'almost here', Valve.

Thankfully, the world in general doesn't use Musk time units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice, that's payday for me. I'm still in Q1 so hopefully should be in the first batch. Really excited to get my hands on it now.

Good to see that shipping is included in the price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

checked mine still says after q2 :(

I was never given a shipping date, so it was probably a first batch order.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Really wish I had jumped on this when I first heard about it. My after Q2 shipping will be a long wait!

• Advertisement

There's a big Steam sale on at the moment so might be worth stocking up for when the Steam Deck arrives. I haven't had a gaming PC for four of five years now so there's plenty to catch up on for peanuts.

Worth checking out on https://www.protondb.com/ how each individual games works under Proton on Linux.

I have now found an actual date - Q2. I presume that means sometime after April 1. Not what I was hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone know how to cancel your order? I tried through the refund page but that was refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I love the look of this, haven’t had a PC in ages and don’t have the room for one so threw down a deposit on it just to get myself in the queue. I’ll definitely have enough time for others to give impressions over the next couple of months before deciding!

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn now Steam Deck verified. Looks like we might be getting a new Vita after all :)

Looking really, really promising. Seems to be outperforming devices that are double it's price. I'm getting excited now.

Getting excited about this. My Steam account has been sitting idol for the last two years. I just can't sit at the same desk for 10+ hours a day for work, and then sit there again for gaming in the evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't be an early adopter in general, so if the Deck trends in the right direction re. support, patching and overall customer enthusiasm, my Switch may yet get pushed into the cupboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The issues with Forza Horizon raise a few alarm bells. I think if there are big emulation inconsistencies like that across many games that could be a big deal. But the hardware sounds impressive, so curious to hear the 'full' reviews when they drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I am the same , I don't mind console gaming but the thought of sitting at a desk again to game after spending a full day of it not for me,

Saying that a lot of colleagues of mine do it and they don't mind but I find sitting and playing on a tv is enough of a seperation.

Really hope I get this before June as I am emigrating am q2 so gonna light a few candles it arrives april or May

Streaming will be my main go to for those bigger games that need power.

Gamepass, Stadia, Geoforce now, and Steam link all working day one.

I got a Samsung 512gb that is being recommended for the Steam Deck at a really good price at the moment

Anybody q1 here and get a notifcation for payment?

q2 myself but I got in fairly early around 10 minutes.

Notifications won't be going out until around 6pm Irish time - same time the coverage embargo lifts. I'm Q1 and really keeping my fingers crossed I'm in the first wave because if it's like the Index launch, they'll be sending out emails every Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm in peasant class, with a "post Q2" estimate. I need a bunch of Q1 people to have liquidity issues. :)

I was looking at the Aya Neo Pro as a temporary toy, but looks like I wouldn't get that until Q2 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Got my email for the 256 version. I won't be getting it but if someone would like to use this order send me a message and we can try to arrange something that works.

No email for me, slightly gutted. Pre-orders went live at 6:00pm and my receipt for that order was timed-stamped at 6:01pm but it's another wait now.

• Advertisement

While both are certainly less enthusiastic a month later. I think they are now trying to align expectations rather than being disappointed.

Near the end of GN's review I think he had a line something like it's not an out of the box experience like the Switch, but that's why it's cool. 🤣

I also like some of the other videos out there messing with settings. I think 6 months in players hands we will see some great user software and settings to get the most out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a read of the reviews from DF and the Verge and it’s too rough around the edges for me, too much messing with settings or games no longer working after an update. I don’t mind basic tweaking when sitting down to play something for the first time but not knowing if a game is actually going to work until you load it up, no thanks. Also, the fan noise mentioned would put me off, woeful battery life too. It’s clearly got bags of potential but I reckon I’ll hold off until v2 is released as I’m not sure things will have changed much by the time my Q2 pre-order comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've put down a deposit for one now, i think if you don't have a really good gaming pc/laptop this offers far better value than getting one, the specs are very impressive for the price.

I think though saying its "unfinished" is fair, I reckon in 6 months time this will be an amazing product.

I'm in Q2 so most of the quirky bits will be ironed out by then hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Q1 but didn't get an email on Friday so hopefully will be in the next batch. Looking at reviews the only real disappointment for me so far is that it seems installing any linux app that isn't a flatpak seems to run the risk of getting overwritten by updates. I was hoping it would be easy enough to run the linux version of the itch.io app on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I've moved from being an "After Q2 2022" to "Q3 2022". (ordered on 23 July 2021). Suppose at least it is a tad more certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Got my email anyways, looking forward to tinkering with it.

Got my email yesterday, just paid there, very, very excited. Looks like a five to six day delivery turnaround from the Netherland so hopefully by Monday I'll have it.

Great dig into the experience/performance with games (rather the the console design) from Digital foundry. It looks like it performs amazing.

Just got shipping notification and it's coming from the Netherlands. GLS are delivering and they don't work weekends in Ireland so still looking like Monday.

• Advertisement

I assume you were Q1 batch and didn't get bumped? They have me a bit concerned with the you have three days to buy it after getting your email on a Friday. You could easily be away for the weekend and miss it.

To think you could wait for a year for your email and then they won't wait 3 days for the money.

Yeah I was originally December, got bumped to Q1 with the delay and then got my email on Monday. They've changed the day that they send the emails out from Friday to Monday so there's at least less chance of missing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

checked mine there said it was q2 all along now q3 😅

still q2 myself hoping I get it before I emigrate the end of may, its not available in Oz so be nice for the plane journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

How do the slots work? I paid the deposit in Juy 2021 and am bumped down to Q3 2022.

It was based on when you got the order in. Any order outside of the first few mins was initially put in Q1 and when that filled then it got put into Q2 and finally a generic after Q2 bucket.

But there was a delay overall before Christmas so those that were due to get theirs in December got pushed out and are only getting it now. Those in Q1 got pushed to Q2 and Q2 to Q3.

If you are in Q3 it will be in the July - Sept window. But that could move up as production ramps. People might give up their slots now it is time to actually fork over hundreds of euro. I'd say there are a fair few that just pre-ordered but now can afford it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It all depends on when you ordered. If you were lucky enough to get through the tech issues and order immediately (as in within 15 mins of them being live) you’re probably due an email shortly.

I placed my deposit around ~25 mins after they went live (after a bunch of errors) and I’m currently Q2.

Hadn't realised just how good emulation in on the Steam Deck. Full speed PS3 emulation in a handheld is insane.

My order was in minute 15 and I have been demoted to Q2.

Bought myself a sandisk 512gb microSD on amazon in antcipation for this, only have the 256gb model so that should be enough.

Starting to get excited about it now anyone here have their deck?

• Advertisement
Advertisement