Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You get spiders, woodlice and earwigs crawling into the telecoms box they will crawl into the ont when winter sets in and short the thing out.
    Virgin media are now installing fibre and they run PoC I didn't even know you could run power over coax and still send data. Openeir needs to allow for PoE to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You get spiders, woodlice and earwigs crawling into the telecoms box they will crawl into the ont when winter sets in and short the thing out.
    Virgin media are now installing fibre and they run PoC I didn't even know you could run power over coax and still send data. Openeir needs to allow for PoE to keep up.

Open Eir would need to supply an IP rated ONT in this case. Cannot see that happening especially now as Open Eir are considering not supplying the ONT at all.

I suppose if the ISP/Customer were to supply their own ONT with built in router then the fibre termination point could be in a outdoor telco box. In that case it would be up to the customer to run another fibre cable from the inside of the house to it. It would defeat the purpose of using Cat5e/6/7.

user1842 wrote: »
    Open Eir would need to supply an IP rated ONT in this case. Cannot see that happening especially now as Open Eir are considering not supplying the ONT at all.

I suppose if the ISP/Customer were to supply their own ONT with build in router then the fibre termination point could be in a outdoor telco box. In that case it would be up to the customer to run another fibre cable from the inside of the house to it. It would defeat the purpose of using Cat5e/6/7.

That would cause a headache it's difficult enough for some jobs to get over the line if there's going to be repositioning the ont between providers there's going to have to be reruns of fibre creating alot of waste and issues with ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

Anyone hear how they are getting on with installing into apartment blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Getting FTTH installed today - Longford and some surrounding villages seem to have gone live in the last few days.

• Advertisement

Trying to figure out if I got HG8010T or the other. On the LAN port it says 10G so assuming this is the newer standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Nice one. I am in an estate on the outskirts of Longford town but it's not showing up as available on the Eir Line Checker. They were splicing fibre a few weeks ago right outside the house so was hoping we would be in the first batch of activations.

How did you order it? Did it show us as available to you on the checker?

looks the same as mine, so its the HN8010Ts-XGS-PON

• Advertisement

What does airwire site say? That gave the date when the address would go live. Then the date it went live i went to vodafone and put my eircode in and then it said it was ready. I phoned vodafone and got upgraded.

It's still not available here according to Airwire and Vodafone checkers. I guess not all areas have launched yet. Pity. I was really hoping they would all go up together seeing as mine should be almost ready if not fully ready now. Will just have to keep an eye out. Hope i won't be waiting too long.

There was no press release or anything like that when I searched for it either. I thought they usually announce these things but I guess if it's not a full launch in Longford, they might not mention it until it is all ready.

Thanks for the info and enjoy. Very jealous.

airwire checker hasn't been updated since 8/6/21 - so has a couple of weeks data missing. register your details with digiweb also, as when your eircode gets flagged as being available, it will be known ahead of that time and digiweb would send you a text message telling you of the good news

Also the day after it launched eir retail was stalking the neighbourhood trying to poach customers... Couldnt believe how quickly they were out ! I was already contracted with vodafone so they did me 40 euro no installation charge for 12 months and vodafone TV. (500mb service)

Word of warning to anyone. The Vodafone TV set up is NOT wireless so if your tv is one end of the house the installer will suggest running network cable from it all the way through to where the router is... In my case would have been through mutiple walls running above front door... Absolutely shocking they dont offer wireless. I just put the TV next to the router got him to set up to "tick the box" and am looking into mesh solution. Having decent wifi is really highlighted when you've a fast connection. I didnt care I was only getting 30-40 mbs when the max connection speed on FTTC was 50 now its a pain.

Looking into cheap mesh solution.

1st world problems indeed.

Perfect. Good call. Have registered interest with them now. I have seen SIRO around the place previously too but they were only at the survey stage so are a long way away from being available. Hopefully Eir won't be too long setting the rest of us up!

Regarding the checker with Airwire, the Eir line checker doesn't show it as available either so if it's not on theirs, it probably won't be on Airwire's.

Thanks for that. I actually wouldn't go with the TV service to be honest. We had Eir Vision for a while and we just didn't use it. We nearly never watch live TV. Like a lot of you I assume, we stream everything these days. The extra bandwidth would be used on YouTube, Netflix, Kodi and Xbox Live.

We would use it though, we use well over 1 TB per month most months. With the size of games these days, it would really shorten the waiting around and mean I could delete games off the tiny SSD on the Series X, and redownload as necessary.

Dont be so sure on the 'if it ain't on Eir website', as for me the Eir website tells me all i can get is 2MB ADSL.....and FTTH is not available, however; I had FTTH installed two weeks ago... and yes its (Eir IFN infrastructure)

Airwire is the gold standard checker but the updates tto it seemingly have stopped being weekly as its 5 weeks behind since last update, even though I assume OpenEir still issue a weekly update file of new and upcoming premises

Awesome BArra. Thanks for the hope... If they are activating parts of my area and we had the fibre outside the house spliced a few weeks ago, we shouldn't be waiting too long I guess! Fingers crossed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Eir fibre is now available in our estate and was planning to upgrade but contractor arrived at neighbours house yesterday to upgrade theirs but was told that they only terminate fibre outside the house. These houses are about 30 years old and dont have an external ETU box so the phone lines comes through a pipe just a foot inside the door. The contractor was planning to dig up a tiled porch to find the pipe so they could terminate it on the outside wall and then drill a new hole through the wall to the internal router. This seems a bit crazy to me (and my neighbour who turned away the contractor), has anyone else any experience of this? I was expecting the fibre to come through the existing pipe and the ONT to replace the existing copper terminal box.

Something wrong there. The fibre cable comes into your house, it is not terminated outside. There is no break in the fibre cable from the fibre optic splicebox (Fiber Distribution Hub) on the pole or in the manhole and the TP (termination point) in your house.

It look like this installer wants to put the TP on outside wall, which is, most certainly, not standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Thanks for your comments. My neighbour is not technical but he did recall the contractor saying the fibre did not enter the house which seemed strange. But the real issue was the fact that they wanted to excavate externally to intercept the existing pipe carrying the copper phone line rather than even try and see if they could pull the fibre through into the hallway using the pipe carrying the existing copper connection.

Very strange, maybe the installer was conceived that section of the duck was blocked.

No what this probably was is the duct came up under the floor inside the hall.

The contractor can survey to have a crew dig outside the house where the duct passes through to bring the fibre up outside the house. Then they drill through the wall and put it in the house.

Existing duct is blocked on one end if it's under the floor in hall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Trying to remove my eir supplied modem and use my own.

Anyone know the PPPOE / Login credentials for eir FTTH?

On my new modem, I used eircom@eircom.net / broadband1 and VLAN tag set to 10 but no joy. Anyone had luck with it?

I read potentially my own router should be set as DHCP and VLAN tag set to 10, and no PPPOE setting required?

Im not sure but I think Eir uses IPoE not PPPOE (DHCP and VLAN 10 is correct I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I read potentially my own router should be set as DHCP and VLAN tag set to 10, and no PPPOE setting required?

That's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

EIR FTTH finally available in my area. Live in an estate average 3 bed semi, for some reasons they brought the existing telecom cable up inside behind the front door, it looks like a bit like it comes from under the flooring.

Would i be right in saying if KN or EIR arrive to do an install they wont want to touch the flooring so am i better to do that myself in advance of their arrival and find where the duct actually terminates. Its a 99/00 build wouldnt be the first bodge iv found in the house.

They will survey it for a civil crew to discuss getting the duct before it comes to the hall and run a new duct up to the external wall.

If it's an armoured cable that means there's no duct as cable was just tossed into the ground and buried. Strange that a 00 house would come up from the floor usually it was only houses over 40 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I checked the one they installed for me and it is an Huwawei EchoLife HN8250Ts XGS PON Terminal. (Urban install over a year ago)

There is a 10Gb lan port and a bunch of 1Gb ports.

I am hoping this means I can get 1Gb whenever they switch on. The availability checker say 2000 Mbps available at my address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just looking for an update here around where FTTH roll out is for Dublin? I’ve seen the “black boxes” on the poles around Dublin 5 for a while now yet our area “next door” in Dublin 3 is not scheduled until 2023/2024!!! So I’m just wondering for people who lives in Dublin and the suburbs (new builds aside), how is the urban roll out going as information is no where to be found?

Advertisement