Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Hi there notahappycamper,

I think the rollout is continuing. Most of it is underground in Dublin so you would see circnet vans pulling fibre, fixing ducts etc when its being installed in an area. Can often be a year or more between fibre going in the ground and service going live..especially with Covid

Open eir have a map on their website which is probably reasonably up to date and will show where FTTH is available

I'm in Dublin 15 and some estates have been done but others next door have not...so its pretty frustrating if you are waiting for it.

faster better

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Where I live is showing live on open eir's FTTH map, however all providers are showing it as not available.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes or how frequently providers to update their database?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

They have started deploying FTTH in our complex in Dublin 9. There seems to be a difference to what was originally planned, which was to run fiber to each utility riser. Instead they are running fiber to a little white box above every apartment door. I guess it makes each individual install quicker (and less likely to have issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I am in exactly the same boat, and funnily enough I am just off of a chat with Eir support on this issue. They were no help unfortunately. Said that the Open Eir website is unreliable and not accurate. Said that there is no fibre in the estate, despite me chatting to the lads installing the ducting and blowing the fibre in June/July.

It should have been available months ago when all the nearby estates got access. I don't know if there is anyone that I can even ask about it as the normal Eir support, just don't seem to know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The little white box is a side project where apartment complexes are fed internally from a riser they run a small fibre up the stairwell and fit one of those boxes over the door. It's a solution that retroactively gets put in place when there's people ordering fibre which cannot reasonably get to the apartments. Another crew then install these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

In our case the fiber does not run up or down the stairwell, it runs across to the utility riser from the white box above our door. We had fiber installed today, wait was worth it. It came above in above the door, down the corner, and across the top of the skirting boards.

It went up to NTU from skirting board, nothing that can't be touched up with matching paint if you need to.

We have router in hall, and one repeater (from eir) living room. Repeater has two ethernet ports, which are useful for some stuff I have.

Prewiring the development made it a quick install. No complaints. It's the upload that makes a big difference!

Post edited by jd on

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EarWig

I'm seeing bus stop ads on Clanbrassil St for EIR 500mb broadband. They're directed at VM customers.

Anyone know where FTTH is available locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Was able to contact openeir via their twitter account. They checked and came back after a day, telling me that the map had a mistake and I don't have FTTH available. The map has been corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Currently with AirWire and line can take up to 70MB. I set-up a mesh network internally using 3 Fritzbox's. Eir FTTH just gone live in my area so just wondering if I get it installed will I still be able to use the same set-up internally? Can I configure so I don't have to use the Eir router?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You could always get FTTH from Airwire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I'm switching as I am going to avail of the TV service also. Presumably will be able to use the same set-up

The TV service may depend on using the eir router, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm on eir FTTH right now and looking to move to Vodafone FTTH.

Anyone have hassle moving their home phone number? Should be relatively straight forward since it's all on the same line/technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

Think there might have been a contractor fitting new ducting for OpenEir along Whitehall Road West today. Not 100% but I'd say its a safe bet when they run ducting from cabinet to nearby poles. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken though. Funny that OpenEir seem to be doing something when Siro have plans for the Walkinstown area.

(delete)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

... DELETED ...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Is Eir still rolling out Urban FTTH in Dublin?

I'm in Dublin 15 (off auburn avenue).and over 2 years ago they pulled in fibre....But lots of the estates haven't been turned on yet I tried mailing open Eir but no response.....

Is this common practise?

Fasterbetter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes, they launched it in parts of Clondalkin just before Christmas- I'm waiting on an install (Sky) next Wednseday...bye bye VM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Switched from SIRO to eir. Had it installed on Friday and its noticeably worse than SIRO. Siro would always be a rock solid 500mb, if not 520mb speed test but eir never goes above 460. I know this doesn't sound like much at all but the overall experience is worse too. Simple things like fast traversal of youtube videos are slower. Large downloads would get to 50 mb/s on Siro but the same source would top at like 35 on eir. Has anyone noticed this? I was thinking its just different profiling and the way eir do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Siro allow for overheads so you get the exact speed advertised. On OpenEir 150 is about 140, 500 about 460 and 1000 is 940. OpenEir/Eir have never allowed slightly higher speeds to compensate for the overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Except for 1Gb, still only get 940ish on it but I would expect there is no headroom to overprovision that one with 1Gb NIC gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Anyone got any idea what's going on in Cork City with Eir FTTH rollout?

My street had micro ducts installed during the COVID lockdown era - probably around July 2020 and there's been no sign of any further progress since. The ducts are just reeled up on the poles for pretty much 2 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

We just moved to another part of Charleville which was earmarked for ftth for sometime in 2023. Eir guy called yesterday letting us know 1gb was coming in late March/April so delighted to hear that, so I imagine they're restarting the rollout schedule for Cork.

Checked with OpenEir and just got a very generic response that it was an active build in my area and they couldn’t provide any further information.

The other streets near by all got connected up early last year. They did roadworks as part of the ducting and that was the last we heard of them.

Siro did a survey here, opening up all the ESB boxes outside house and that’s probably about 3+ years ago at this stage. They stuck little metal markers on the ESB poles and that’s the last I saw of them. Our address was on a “coming soon” build out and then when I checked it again they said the street had been removed from the build out entirely!

Seems I’m stuck with VDSL for the foreseeable.

Older urban areas seem to be the last to get everything. We don’t even have cable for Virgin around here, despite being a short walk from the city centre. It was never wired up by its predecessors back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Minister still thinking out loud on Universal Service and Copper Switch-off. Very likely that Eircom has also been war-gaming the options.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2023-04-27a.218

Ossian Smyth (Dún Laoghaire, Green Party) Our national strategy is for everybody in Ireland to have gigabit Internet by 2028. On the current timelines, everybody in rural Ireland will have it by 2026. Our rural deployment is going well. I am responsible for broadband across the whole of Ireland and not just the intervention area. I need to make sure we are not leaving black-spot islands in our urban areas. Just because you are in an urban area, it does not mean you should get broadband two years later than in a rural area. With that in mind, I have been examining policy options for completing urban black spots. I am looking at the copper switch off plans ComReg has been examining and at the universal service obligation for broadband which I brought in in the communication regulations Bill recently. We will have to determine the regulatory mechanism we use to oblige broadband providers to provide their service to everybody so they do not leave cul-de-sacs uncompleted in urban areas. There will be a number of trials and pilots of different technologies to achieve that and we have to do it within state aid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

was supposed to have ftth by mid march/early april and no sign of it yet.

Typical..shouldn't complain as I'm getting 100meg but damnit I want my 1gb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

Just wondering how did you get in contact with OpenEir? Are you referring to that you checked your address on this page https://arcg.is/5bzqe or did you contact them on one of the email address provided here https://www.openeir.ie/contact-us/ ? As I tried the customer care email and didn't get a response.

How did you get in contact with SIRO to see if your address was on the "coming soon" build out?

I emailed them.

Seems Siro might be connected later this summer. I’ve given up on open Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Signed up with EIR last July . Unfortunately I picked a 2 year contract as it was approx €5 per month cheaper.

I have now been hit with an 8% increase but, I am stuck with them for another 14 months.

• Advertisement

A price increase automatically gives you a get-out from your contract, if you act quickly enough. They should have told you that.

Advertisement