Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Another skirt tucked up the knickers.... its this some new fashion trend i haven't heard about??

It certainly isn't helping her tennis..... Pliskovic is on a roll here, seems she can do no wrong. And Golubic can do no right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pliskova second serve is better than Golubic first. Not going to win many cheap points averaging 80mph or thereabouts on your first serve.

That backhand though......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Another skirt tucked up the knickers.... its this some new fashion trend i haven't heard about??

Yeah I was wondering what that's all about. Iga does it too.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering what that's all about. Iga does it too.

It's all Asics gear..... maybe a condition of sponsorship?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

That was the best Pliskova has played in ages. After the collapse in the Rome final, and other early defeats since then, it's a real turnaround. She has been broken 3 times in 5 matches so far, not a set dropped.

Medvedev out to Hurkacz, so Khachanov is the only one of the big 3 Russian men through to the quarters.

Switched over, delighted to hear Anabel Croft commentating on the Jabeur match, I think she's easily the best, and so easy to listen to..... but then they cut to Tracy Austin :(

Switched over, delighted to hear Anabel Croft commentating on the Jabeur match, I think she's easily the best, and so easy to listen to..... but then they cut to Tracy Austin :(
    They don't use Croft much on the big matches, despite all her knowledge. There's a clear pecking order on the BBC in terms of both the main and co-commentary slots.

How can you be No 2 seed, and never have been into a quarter final??

Memories of Woszniaki being No 1 without ever having won a slam.

Truly all this ranking and seeding malarkey is truly part of the dark arts!! :confused:

klr87 wrote: »
    They don't use Croft much on the big matches, despite all her knowledge. There's a clear pecking order on the BBC in terms of both the main and co-commentary slots.

Yes, I realised she was doing the warm up and filler bits - such a shame!

Tracy Austin is knowledgeable and good, but I find her very hard to listen to.

• Advertisement

How can you be No 2 seed, and never have been into a quarter final??

Memories of Woszniaki being No 1 without ever having won a slam.

Truly all this ranking and seeding malarkey is truly part of the dark arts!! :confused:
    If Osaka and Halep were here, she'd only be #4 seed. That said, she has won Madrid this year (WTA 1000 event) and also a mid-ranking event in Dubai, and another in the Czech Republic last autumn that's still part of her ranking.

Don't get me started on Wozniacki :rolleyes:

Hoping Jabeur can hold firm here.....

klr87 wrote: »
    If Osaka and Halep were here, she'd only be #4 seed. That said, she has won Madrid this year (WTA 1000 event) and also a mid-ranking event in Dubai, and another in the Czech Republic last autumn that's still part of her ranking.

Don't get me started on Wozniacki :rolleyes:

Read a stat somewhere that Sabalenka has a near 33% success rate in wta tournaments entered since 2019 which is pretty impressive. As important as they are, it's not all completely about the slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Maybe been a total outsider this year has helped Pliskova. , Golubic dealt with very easily.

Ah ****e :(

Jabeur has the break back

power winning over variety in this match so far but can Jabeur make a second set of it now?

glasso wrote: »
    Jabeur has the break back

power winning over variety in this match so far but can Jabeur make a second set of it now?

She's not getting much chance to use her variety!! But when she does, it's very effective.

Had a quick glance during a break at the Kerber match - if Sabalenka wins this, she'll absolutely MURDER her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The slow hand clap at every single challenge is so rude and annoying

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

She's not getting much chance to use her variety!! But when she does, it's very effective.

Had a quick glance during a break at the Kerber match - if Sabalenka wins this, she'll absolutely MURDER her :eek:

Wouldn't say that tbh, Kerber can absorb a lot of power and return it with interest. Also, she leads their h2h 1-0.

Drop shot is working. Surprised not even more of it.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say that tbh, Kerber can absorb a lot of power and return it with interest. Also, she leads their h2h 1-0.

Fair enough, as I've said, I haven't been watching tennis much of late until recently - just going by their playing styles and what I've seen in the last week.

I'm hoping Jabeur ensures I don't find out if I'm right or wrong!

some steely resistance there from Jabeur

that's the look the husband gets if he doesn't do the dishes.

nevertheless Sabalenka's power wins through

was hoping for more of a match

Drop shot is working. Surprised not even more of it.

Her last 2 were not the best. Put the hex on it!

Impressive from sabalenka, not just her power and discipline, but the way she maintained it through the two sets. You'd normally expect a blip thrown in there somewhere. Good fight from jabeur, just overpowered today but a slam definitely within her ambit if the cards fall right i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Kerber into the semi final, I think she has a good chance of winning it out, as you said she's able to absorb a lot of power, has some variety to her game and has the experience of winning slams before which is important at this stage.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fair f*cking play to Hurkacz by the way, entered here on a massive losing strresk, had only won one match since winning Miami and now makes a grand slam QF for the first time. An ageing Federer isn't the worst opponent to get either.

Missed the beginning of the interview with Emma Raducanu...... was there any explanation about what exactly was wrong last night?

(Not that I think we're necessarily entitled to an explanation! But I'm sure the question was asked)

Missed the beginning of the interview with Emma Raducanu...... was there any explanation about what exactly was wrong last night?

(Not that I think we're necessarily entitled to an explanation! But I'm sure the question was asked)

Said she didn't know why it happened but found it difficult to regulate her breathing and a couple of long rallies towards end of first set took a lot out of her. Said it was probably a combination of all the things that had gone on over the week, an accumulation. Medical advice was for her not to continue so she decided to follow it.

Yay, Annabel Croft to commentate on the Barty match!!

Can't see Tomljanovic having much to trouble Barty with here, but Barty does find a way to lose to players she shouldn't at slams so who knows. I'm expecting a relatively easy win for Barty though.

• Advertisement

Tomljanovic getting fairly schooled here.....

Advertisement