Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

long_b explains it well. To give another analogy…

Think of WiFi calling as another way of connecting to your mobile network and not a different treatment of the calls you make. Ultimately everything we do on our mobiles is ‘data’ (1’s and 0’s), just because it mentions WiFi doesn’t mean the network will consider it like browsing instead of a call.

WiFi calling is great where you would otherwise have poor mobile coverage (I get poor 3G and previously had to stand by the front window to make a call) otherwise it doesn’t add much other than piece of mind.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

xebec wrote: »

Think of WiFi calling as another way of connecting to your mobile network and not a different treatment of the calls you make. Ultimately everything we do on our mobiles is ‘data’ (1’s and 0’s), just because it mentions WiFi doesn’t mean the network will consider it like browsing instead of a call.

WiFi calling is great where you would otherwise have poor mobile coverage (I get poor 3G and previously had to stand by the front window to make a call) otherwise it doesn’t add much other than piece of mind.
    When used abroad, it allows you to avoid roaming charges so there is a saving there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

long_b wrote: »
    There are two types of calling - one via your mobile operator (regular phone calls) and the other is an "over the top" service like WhatsApp or Facetime.

"Over the top" means it avoids your mobile plan completely (apart from maybe the mobile data that you're using) and it doesn't matter where anybody lives, any calls made are free.

However, making regular phone calls via your mobile operator will cost you according to your mobile plan.

WiFi calling just lets you make regular phone calls in situations where there is no mobile signal but you do have access to WiFi.

So, if you have WiFi and you can use an app like WhatsApp/Signal/Facetime then that's the cheapest way to go.
    xebec wrote: »

WiFi calling is great where you would otherwise have poor mobile coverage
    (I get poor 3G and previously had to stand by the front window to make a call) otherwise it doesn’t add much other than piece of mind.

Thank you all, now I understand. Unfortunately the people I'd be calling don't have Skype and I don't have WhatsApp, so it'll have to be "normal" phone calls. Pity.
    Quackster wrote: »
    When used abroad, it allows you to avoid roaming charges so there is a saving there.

Very good to know, too, but why is that, if it's only another way of connecting to the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

New Home wrote: »
    Thank you all, now I understand. Unfortunately the people I'd be calling don't have Skype and I don't have WhatsApp, so it'll have to be "normal" phone calls. Pity.

Very good to know, too, but why is that, if it's only another way of connecting to the network?

You're using the internet to connect your phone to the Eir/Gomo network and not a foreign network operator that needs to be paid for their service.
    From Eir/Gomo point of view they are providing exactly the same service as if you were in Ireland connecting via an Irish ISP.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I use the Yolla app for these types of calls that I don't have an allowance for. Calls tend to cost no more than a few cent a minute at most for the destinations I'd be calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Changed from a HTC to a S20 recently. Noticed a massive drop in mobile data speeds.

Anyone have a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭paddy19

6 wrote: »
    Changed from a HTC to a S20 recently. Noticed a massive drop in mobile data speeds.

Anyone have a similar issue?
    https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/s20-slow-4g-data-speed/td-p/1614636/page/3

Seems to be a known issue with the S20.
    Are you on the latest bugfix update, UA3, firmware?

Be advised, initial roll-out is mainly to stock Samsung unbranded devices and it may take longer to arrive on some carrier branded models.

The update = G98*F/BXXU5CUA3

Download size = 450.69MB

Build date = 07 January 2021

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/s20-ultra-ua3-global-update-rolling-out-bugfixes-amp-camera/m-p/2637716#M18946.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

paddy19 wrote: »
    https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/s20-slow-4g-data-speed/td-p/1614636/page/3

Seems to be a known issue with the S20.
    Are you on the latest bugfix update, UA3, firmware?

Be advised, initial roll-out is mainly to stock Samsung unbranded devices and it may take longer to arrive on some carrier branded models.

The update = G98*F/BXXU5CUA3

Download size = 450.69MB

Build date = 07 January 2021

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s20-series/s20-ultra-ua3-global-update-rolling-out-bugfixes-amp-camera/m-p/2637716#M18946.

I appear to be using update G988BXXS8DUE4.

UI version 3.1

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

As stated above WiFi calling gives you another way to connect to and make voice calls on the eir/GoMo PHONE network and as far as I know the phone must support VOLTE i.e. Voice over LTE. Only 4G or 5G phones support VOLTE and many 4G phones do not support VOLTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Gomo actin up this evenin or is it just me? No internet coverage for a while there, back now but very slow. Based in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Gomo actin up this evenin or is it just me? No internet coverage for a while there, back now but very slow. Based in Waterford

Think eir had a blip there…eir home broadband went down and gomo data wasn’t working for a few mins there…back now tho…

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Think eir had a blip there…eir home broadband went down and gomo data wasn’t working for a few mins there…back now tho…
    Same craic here in Wicklow. Our eir broadband went down and both of our gomo Sims were at nothing. To be honest it's been so slow with Gino the last two months it's no great surprise. At the stage where I'm considering going back to Vodafone for a more consistent service.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ditto, it went a bit wonky for an hour or so a while ago, but back to normal now.

Yep - look at the downdetector for Eir, huge spike there.

https://downdetector.ie/status/eircom/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi all.

Am getting a message asking me to download network upgrade.

Can people enlighten me. Is this just to do with wifi calling. And is it kosher?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Same craic here in Wicklow. Our eir broadband went down and both of our gomo Sims were at nothing. To be honest it's been so slow with Gino the last two months it's no great surprise. At the stage where I'm considering going back to Vodafone for a more consistent service.
    An Post Mobile (which uses the Vodafone network) is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi all.

Am getting a message asking me to download network upgrade.

Can people enlighten me. Is this just to do with wifi calling. And is it kosher?

Thanks

I have not seen that yet!? What phone do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Anyone else having a problem with sending SMS on Gomo since yesterday evening?

Everything else is working perfectly and I'm receiving text messages fine but messages I'm sending are not being received. This is happening with multiple people I've sent messages to, different networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

Everything else is working perfectly and I'm receiving text messages fine but messages I'm sending are not being received. This is happening with multiple people I've sent messages to, different networks.

Yeah I’m having the same issue on Eir, users on Three and Vodafone not receiving my texts. Few people on Twitter reporting the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Exactly the same problem here, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Gomo/eir seems to have messed something up. I know a few people who are getting call catcher messages to say they missed a call when they have signal. Also intermittently dropping off the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Exactly the same problem here, yes.

Back working for me now. Messages I sent when it wasn't working have still not delivered but new messages I send are working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I had issues with a text parking system we use where I live on Saturday night last 26/07/2021. I sent the registration text as normal but they are saying they never received it and my friends ended up getting clamped!? :mad: I had to pay the release fee of €120!!

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just a quick one, I'm heading to France soon and I'm on the original 9.99 for ever package.
    Has anyone any idea how this will be applied or what the roaming charges are, if any?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just a quick one, I'm heading to France soon and I'm on the original 9.99 for ever package.
    Has anyone any idea how this will be applied or what the roaming charges are, if any?

Thanks.

https://gomo.ie/our-roaming-rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DopeTech wrote: »

Thank you, perfect.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thanks.

I have used my Gomo in Sweden and Germany. Used a lot of internet and made a few calls back to Ireland. No extra charges were applied. Just make sure you have roaming enabled in your phone settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

Thanks.

From link mentioned above by DopeTech

What’s included in my roaming allowance?
    Your full allowance of calls and texts can be used in the EU along with 10GB of roaming data.

If you want to use your data outside of the EU Full details can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

I've seen mention of it previously in the thread but no confirmation that if you set up a call divert or call forward from your GoMo SIM to another Irish number, rather than to voicemail, that there is no additional charge for this?

There's no mention of it in their pricing doc or T&C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

I have used my Gomo in Sweden and Germany. Used a lot of internet and made a few calls back to Ireland. No extra charges were applied. Just make sure you have roaming enabled in your phone settings.

Hi, does anyone know if calls to the country you are roaming in are also considered part of your package?

An example being. If I am roaming in France and I call a hotel in France, will there be a charge for this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Hi, does anyone know if calls to the country you are roaming in are also considered part of your package?

An example being. If I am roaming in France and I call a hotel in France, will there be a charge for this?

No extra charge for that, see paragraph 9 from this page....
    https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/policies/roaming-qa

However AFAIK, WIFI calls to non Irish numbers while roaming
    are charged as international so use the mobile network when abroad.

Advertisement