Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny had 15 different scorers today, can't ever remember so many different players scoring before.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭kilkennyboy

Some heart. that could have been gone easily but we seem to have the ability to just stay at it .
    Management team and s&c men earned their dinner this evening.
    We could go for fresh players who all made a impact while wexford had players who seemed to empty out
    Thrilled for Wally has had a few tough days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

I find it extraordinary with 2 wing backs struggling and all of the full-back line walking tight ropes with yellows that Darren Mullen wasn't brought in.
    Not sure what is the point of naming him if no intention of playing him.
    I
    I hope we see mullen soon.James maher hasn't played much this year but he slotted in wing back at stages and definitely helped shore things up and took his point well.
    I thought we might of seen joey or mullen.
    We still have a bit of work to do from midfield back.Fogarty was anonymous after he scored that point.Eoin cody unlucky he didn't have a few more goals.He is developing into a serious player.i was delighted for bergin he took his points well.Maybe our panel isn't wake as some lads thought.As someone else said If we could get delaney and mullen in that defence and leahy and maher fit and hurling we could give a few teams a fright

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Great to beat Wexi, and Davy after a close game, honestly myself felt as if we were beat at the first water break. Make no mistake today our puck out strategy was shocking. Look it’s great to beat them Without any of our best hurling well, including TJ, Pádraig, leahy, anybody inbetween. Showed character and That’s all i as, but the Cody subs were good today. We’re never far away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Great to beat Wexi, and Davy after a close game, honestly myself felt as if we were beat at the first water break. Make no mistake today our puck out strategy was shocking. Look it’s great to beat them Without any of our best hurling well, including TJ, Pádraig, leahy, anybody inbetween. Showed character and That’s all i as, but the Cody subs were good today. We’re never far away

You wouldn't consider TJ's performance "hurling well"? Jaysus I'd love to see a lad you did think hurled well.

• Advertisement

The_Ghost wrote: »

I was lucky enough to be at the match and the dirty work mullen and tj were doing was unreal.i do agree lads like mossy,Alan Murphy and Richie Reid have all played better.We done well to keep coming back.two goals were easily preventable.Deegan gave one away and I think it was padraig and two went for the same ball.Its really poor for that to be still happening.Id be hoping mullen and delaney can try get back.Was leahy injured going off?Disappointed with our puckouts aswell .We are lucky to have Darren brennan he was fierce unlucky not to save the penalty
    The minors had a good win but faded out in the second half but that mightnt be a bad thing instead of winning by 40 points.Galway as always will difficult.It would be great to win a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

What a fantastic game. Well done to all involved.

I would worry about Deegan, and I don't think Padraig is suited to 6.

I also think Adrian Mullen could be "converted" into an excellent half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭kk.man

That was some battle from both team. I think we're at the top table again after a performance like that. It's great preparation for the leinster final.

Some players came of age out there yesterday and Wally had his first decent championship game against Wexford. The omens are looking good if you get a performance like that at round one.

What a fantastic game. Well done to all involved.

I would worry about Deegan, and I don't think Padraig is suited to 6.

I also think Adrian Mullen could be "converted" into an excellent half back.

I agree with all this although James maher slotted in to the half back line and done well.I don't think padraig is comfortable at 6 but we haven't really an alternative with delaney out.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Wonderful stuff but will only matter if we learned lessons.
    4-5 players have surely played themselves out of the equation, and no harm in that for me, I think we were fooling ourselves with a few of them.

Donnely and Walsh immense in X time

I thought Billy Ryan was poor in regular time but credit to Kilkenny management for reintroducing him when they saw Wex players starting to generally struggle with cramp etc.

A great win, but we have to learn from it.

I'm being greedy but Darren Mullen and Delaney in backs and R Hogan in mix, and I think we match anyone.
    Midfield stilla worry, but Maher gone to top of pecking order

Really thought we were beginning to get away from nonstop long ball. There were signs in a few matches, usually in the 1st half before reverting back to lumping high balls down. But not seeing it. I don't want them to be like some teams but they have the talent to mix it up a lot more.
    I forget which, but in one recent match(Clare) there were 6 Ballyhale lads on the pitch & we know those boys can play a beautiful mix. Not overdoing it or pushing their luck too much w/passes that have to be perfect. Able to change things up when needed so I really don't see the issue being a lack of ability.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the match but it's tough to watch Wex coming away w/possession over & over from our own puckouts. Eoin Cody did well under the high balls & TJ made a few great takes but it's still a head scratcher for me. Cody is too smart, too experienced & too good a manager to not see it which is the 'head scratcher' part for me. Just my .02

Happy 4th if there's any other yanks who post here.

Any thoughts on the final? Dubs playing well & very well coached IMO. Galway were pretty impotent yesterday so not sure what to expect. They're definitely improving fast. Thank god they love their football so much up there. ;-) Adding Con O'C to the Dublin attack would be quite the addition by itself.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Looking at the tipp/clare match today ot really comes down to how teams prepare and hit form on any day. I really believe that any one of 6 or 7 counties have the measure of each other on their day. If we can sort our deliveries into our forwards we can match anyone. We have tj, mullen, Cody, Billy Ryan, Walter, bergin, Alan Murphy and Richie hogan all who are more than capable.
    If we could tighten up our half back line and get more dominant in the middle then I'd have fear of no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is there any way of re-watching yesterdays game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Have a lad working with us did up Brian Cody's best 10 victories as manager. Be great to give some feedback to him if ya have any thoughts!

https://scoreline.ie/top-10-ranking-brian-codys-greatest-victories-as-kilkenny-manager/

Also got to sit with Eddie Brennan recently in his first pod since he left Laois if interested

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-26-eddie-brennan-kilkennys-8-time-all-ireland-winner-4-time-all-star/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

deadybai wrote: »

Gaago you can watch them back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That won't work if you are in Ireland. Because the match was shown on Sky, then it could be watched on GAAGO only if the viewer was outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

deadybai wrote: »

If any use, you can listen to audio here with Adrien Ronan & Micheal Walsh here

https://scoreline.ie/listen-back-kilkenny-v-wexford-leinster-senior-hurling-championship-semi-final/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sirsok wrote: »
    If any use, you can listen to audio here with Adrien Ronan & Micheal Walsh here

https://scoreline.ie/listen-back-kilkenny-v-wexford-leinster-senior-hurling-championship-semi-final/

It was hard enough listening in real-time, I think they forget they are on radio at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ttowncat

Anyone in the know as to why j donnelly didnt start on sunday? Would have thought he'd be in the top 3 starters up front. Knock,.niggle, form, fitness or .... tactic?

Obvious hindsight would show that the 3 ballyhale lads are the top 3.starting forwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Grats

ttowncat wrote: »
    Anyone in the know as to why j donnelly didnt start on sunday? Would have thought he'd be in the top 3 starters up front. Knock,.niggle, form, fitness or .... tactic?

Obvious hindsight would show that the 3 ballyhale lads are the top 3.starting forwards...

I'm guessing Donnelly was fully recovered from his injury. Great to get the game time under his belt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Was there on Sat.

I thought the 'tactic' of allowing the Wex backs have the ball from their keeper for the puck outs was a bit mystifing at the time, especially when our backs could not win the resulting ball down, nor the breaking ball off that either!

The amount of space left in behind our very high back line in the second half was strange to see too, resulted in them getting the pen when the two boys went for the same high ball and missed it.

Same work by Eoin Cody + Tj off the ball also.
    Id say our S&C were happy to see our lads still going well into extra time while the wexford lads were dropping like flies !!

Great win... Great game.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Where do ye all rank TJ among the all time Kilkenny greats?

Great to have a victory and a hard won victory.
    Not sure why dummy teams are being named?
    We are still lumping long balls into our forwards.
    Good to get another match under the belt of Adrian Mullen, impressed with his workrate. Also impressed with the workrate and effectiveness of Wally who I didn't think should be playing.
    Apart from his mistake leading to the penalty, Paddy Deegan did okay imo.
    Darragh Corcoran to start against Dublin?
    Our midfield and half backs didn't hurl a lot of ball.
    50/50 match against Dublin, impressed with their half forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Speak Now wrote: »
    It was hard enough listening in real-time, I think they forget they are on radio at times.

Any match kk go 2 points ahead (regularly in the first half) Michael Walsh “Well, I think we can call this a kk victory for sure”

Gaago is not very good at detecting VPN use so if you've access to a service w/server's not in the ROI you should be fine.

Grats wrote: »
    I'm guessing Donnelly was fully recovered from his injury. Great to get the game time under his belt now.

Quickly becoming my favorite player outside of TJ. What a workhorse & boy can he line someone up & make them see stars. Tons of turnovers created by him. Rarely makes clumsy tackles. Can shoot. Great hands in ruck 2nd only to TJ. Absolutely brilliant player. Hoping Henry can get TTown over the line this year.

He would have to be right up there with Eddie Keher, DJ and Henry. Probably the best free taker alone with Keher. Best in the air. Up there with Henry as regards workrate. Great team player as were Henry and DJ. Henry the best motivator. TJ best sideline taker. TJ the best in a ruck
    DJ was the best goalgetter and the fastest, the most electric. Keher the best penalty taker. I thought that TJ's injury in the 2012 All Ireland final set him back for 2 years and he maybe lost a fraction of speed.
    We have been steeped for the last 30 years to have one great following another

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Speak Now wrote: »

Ronan forgets that he is on radio anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Greatest of all time, watch him last year against waterford, done the work of six forwards. A true great. A shame he hasn't had a decent team around him in his later years.

Minor All Ireland Final 2020 Kilkenny against Galway being televised on zTG4 at 5pm next Saturday

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Great to have a victory and a hard won victory.
    Not sure why dummy teams are being named?
    We are still lumping long balls into our forwards.
    Good to get another match under the belt of Adrian Mullen, impressed with his workrate. Also impressed with the workrate and effectiveness of Wally who I didn't think should be playing.
    Apart from his mistake leading to the penalty, Paddy Deegan did okay imo.
    Darragh Corcoran to start against Dublin?
    Our midfield and half backs didn't hurl a lot of ball.
    50/50 match against Dublin, impressed with their half forward line
    It was a very enjoyable match and it must be said fergal horgan was excellent.James owens is in hot water and alan kelly didn't get games for a while after the controversial ghost goal he gave tipp against Waterford.Referees should explain themselves but good refs like hofgam usually consult with their umpires and linesmen.Owens should of consulted with his linesman but like the all Ireland a few years ago maybe he likes to be in the spotlight.
    I felt sorry for clare but it wasn't a penalty but clare got the breaks last week against Waterford and made hay with when Shane fives went off.
    I agree about naming the dummy team I think most questioned it Friday night and by Saturday afternoon word was getting around.It was harmless enough to be honest and it's not like we had a complete outsider starting that would cause havoc and completely throw wexford off.I think truth be told davey definitely spooks cody a bit but cody will be absolutely delighted to get the win over him.We learned from two years ago when wexford scored the goal Saturday we didn't panic.We mixed the long and short ball we just need to find the balance but we definitely are adopting.
    It was also silly stuff from davey saying mcgarry nearly came down to celebrate in front of him.It looks like a deflection cause he didn't trust his bench and restarted lads who were completely bet and ended up carrying them off.Davey and bulfin are far from angels.I don't think he will be storing anything this year either I don't see wexford getting to an Ireland final from this position.
    Our fitness levels were very good at the weekend so they deserve credit.We were all quick to point out our callopse last year but when wexford were going down cramping we were still going strong.The wexford running style requires huge fitness levels and we overtook it on Saturday.
    On to the Dublin match alot of people including myself didn't see this coming.If eoin o donnell is missing he will be a huge loss but they will get huge confidence from the galway win.They will give us plenty of it and are in the u20 final against cork.Dublin have really put it up to us the last few years.We were lucky in parnell Park a few years ago and last year we were hanging on and even in the league this year Dublin were very wasteful.
    Sutcliffe is back to his 2013 levels.Dublin had their homework done they kept cathal mannion quite something we have struggled with over the last few years.They know they got their match ups wrong last year and we codded them putting tj inside so they will have their homework done.
    Despite us hurling very well Saturday there is a few positions up for grabs especially when all our subs were so influential.James maher came from no where and was really good.If we could get delaney and Darren mullen fit they would strengthen our defence and mullen could even play as a defence midfielder he is so intelligent.
    Eoin cody really announced himself he was outstanding and is a huge find for us.He showed huge maturity for a 20 year old.Adrian mullen worked extremely hard.limerick still ahead of the pack but similar to the last few years there's a number of teams capable of beating each other on a given day especially when you don't take your chances or aren't fully tuned in.

Advertisement