Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showering etiquette and frequency?

Options

Comments

Shower Daily – Evening/Night
    fits wrote: »
    Pumped showers here with aerated shower heads to conserve water ( feels same) Lovely.

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/blog/buying-guides/water-saving-shower-heads

Would that work with an electric in a bad pressure are / hard water? I tried a low flow increase pressure head before but it just spent its lige clogged and spurting water every single way except down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

theguzman wrote: »
    I was in a short relationship a decade or so back with a woman who was a total control freak and she refused to let me sleep with her until I took a shower/wash every night, the house didn't even have a shower only a bath tub and it was just part of her controlling manipulative behaviour and we quickly broke up within a few weeks.

Did she shower before you dined at the Y?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I don't have a shower but I take a bath instead
    fits wrote: »
    Pumped showers here with aerated shower heads to conserve water ( feels same) Lovely.

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/blog/buying-guides/water-saving-shower-heads

All over a hundred quid :D

Conservationism seems to be grand so long as the end consumer always foots the bill for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I shower every weekday but always cold, even in winter. A habit I got into 2 years ago when the immersion was on the fritz in the apartment. It does take a bit of effort to go for it mind you. I treat myself weekends to hot shower

https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-shower-benefits#limits-and-risks

Last couple of electric showers I've had have been as good as any pumped shower I used. Current one on anything but the most-open setting on the shower head would easily hit the ceiling if pointed upwards. It's a fairly cheap model as well so I dunno how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

All over a hundred quid :D

Conservationism seems to be grand so long as the end consumer always foots the bill for it.

I didn’t even look at prices in link. I’m sure there are lots available at different price points

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Once a week wether I need it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'd shower every day but wouldn't wash my hair daily as its long and nightmare to dry.

I'd have a relaxing bath once or twice a week in evening, with candles etc and would have already showered that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

An immersion timer is the way forward, set it for whatever lenght of time is enough to heat enough time for your shower, eg. you usually shower at 6am and let it come on at 5:30am before your morning shower and it will click off at say 6am or whatever.

I have a few questions... but let's start with how you know I shower at 6am???

Shower 2-3 times per week
    I cannot believe the amount that don't shower daily.

Do you not feel guilty about how much of the world's fossil fuels you are using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

appledrop wrote: »
    I'd have a relaxing bath once or twice a week in evening, with candles etc .

does the etc include company ?:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Every morning as much to wake up as much as to feel clean. Great place to gather your thoughts before going to face the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You don't have to use a lot of water with a shower.

Get naked
    Turn on shower
    Get wet
    Turn off shower
    Shampoo hair/lather up body/clean yourself
    Turn shower back on
    Rinse off
    Turn shower off
    Dry yourself.

Saves a lot of water and more environmentally friendly than simply wasting water because the water feels good...

I don't have a shower but I take a bath instead
    But it does feel very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

RobertKK wrote: »
    You don't have to use a lot of water with a shower.

Get naked
    Turn on shower
    Get wet
    Turn off shower
    Shampoo hair/lather up body/clean yourself
    Turn shower back on
    Rinse off
    Turn shower off
    Dry yourself.

Saves a lot of water and more environmentally friendly than simply wasting water because the water feels good...

My electric shower runs crazy hot and then ice cold and takes a minute to get back to normal temperature if doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

theguzman wrote:
    So in Ireland the two most common types are an Electric Shower like a Mira elite, these are hugely popular for instant hot water but put out a very low volume of water and take much longer to wash yourself due to the pathetic low flow rates and guzzle electricity.

Believe it or not these are A energy rated. A 5 minute shower with an electric shower is cheaper than the power shower heated by gas or oil. Probably costs around half the price of running a 5 minute power shower. The only thing cheaper to run than an electric shower is solar heated water

Went 4 years without one but I'd have around 3 a week these days. Just wash the main stuff at the sink the other days.

Id hate to be washing my face or shaving after you have wasted your junk in the sink :)

I used to be every day, but have switched to every second day for full shower. My skin thanks me. I've tried lots of sensitive skin products to no avail. Even on full shower day I don't use product on my forearms. The other day is mini shower for the hairy bits.

Have an electric shower; works fine. One thing I am curious about - on every electric shower I've seen (my parents, in laws, friends houses), it says "THIS SHOWER MUST NEVER BE CONNECTED TO A MAINS WATER SUPPLY"

Why not?

Mains pressure is will damage the shower (unless it's a mains fed shower) & voids the warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have my own private supply on the land and have a flow rates of around a couple thousand litres per minute, using as much water is a choice and I much prefer it than standing in an electric shower for a seemingly endless time with a trickle of water, this is Ireland and I don't give a damn about water conservation as we have the worlds largest unending supply. If I choose to spend a few more euros on energy thats my life and choice.

Only noticed this now.

Nobody has a private supply of water.

Where do you think the water comes from before it gets to your land?

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote:

The sky?

Allinall wrote: »
    Only noticed this now.

River or Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I shower every morning as soon as I get up.

Have an electric shower; works fine.
    One thing I am curious about - on every electric shower I've seen (my parents, in laws, friends houses), it says "THIS SHOWER MUST NEVER BE CONNECTED TO A MAINS WATER SUPPLY"

Why not?
    Pumped showers such as the Triton T90 are designed to be fed from a tank so these insist on not being connected directly to mains water. I’m not entirely sure why but it might be to ensure a steady flow into the pump. (Edit: I see Sleeper12 covered this above)

On the other hand the T80 (is it even still made?) isn’t pumped and has to be mains fed. But the T80 is also susceptible to pressure variation and even turning on a cold water tap while it’s running is guaranteed to be an unpleasant experience for the person who is using the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Allinall wrote: »
    Only noticed this now.

A lot of people do. I have my own well drilled.

JeffKenna wrote:
    A lot of people do. I have my own well drilled.

I'd have thought it was obvious. It's called a private well for a reason I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Shower when I wake up, shower when I come home, I work in a physical job. I also use a fresh towel each time. No way am I’m drying my face with the towel I dried my junk in 14 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Pumped shower all the way, I have a well for the water and a 300lt double insulated hot water tank. Its heated with a oil boiler during the winter and use the immersion during the good months. The immersion is powered by solar PV, it uses the excess power generated.
    During the good months its free hot water. I have had a few full hot water tanks from the solar during the winter, so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I shower every day , normally in the morning

If I feel sweaty or clammy then I will definitely have a 2nd to cool down and wash under my arms and feet etc

I couldn't even put on clean clothes in the morning without after having been in the shower . I just feel wrong

I also have a desk job , no labour

If I exercise I shower straight after too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shower when I wake up, shower when I come home, I work in a physical job. I also use a fresh towel each time.

You actually wash 14 towels a week just from showering???

Jaysus! I'm genuinely gobsmacked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

You actually wash 14 towels a week just from showering???

Jaysus! I'm genuinely gobsmacked!

No just 12, I don’t work weekends. Do you dry your bits , front and back, with the same towel you used to dry your face??

Advertisement