Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showering etiquette and frequency?

Options
  • 03-07-2021 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

What are peoples opinions on Irish showering routines? I'm a jump up and into the shower half asleep sort of guy in the morning, start with a cup of coffee/tea and out the door. If had a very hard day of physical labour or it was very hot I'd take a second shower at night again, this would be less often especially here in Ireland due to our cold weather and I'm not a big sweater anyway.

I am lucky in that I have an actual proper pumped high pressure shower which uses a good amount of water and not those god awful electric showers in every house in Ireland, they big out as much water as a squirt gun and you need like 3-4times longer. I lived in an house with an electric shower before and it was a nightmare and I'd skip showering as often as possible and discovered a huge improvement in my spotty pimply acne early twenties skin.

I was in a short relationship a decade or so back with a woman who was a total control freak and she refused to let me sleep with her until I took a shower/wash every night, the house didn't even have a shower only a bath tub and it was just part of her controlling manipulative behaviour and we quickly broke up within a few weeks.

How often do you shower and when? 258 votes

Shower Daily – Morning
    0%
    eggerb 1 vote
    Shower Daily – Evening/Night
    49%
    jdZascarJohnKCyruslintdrummerIcebergSheep ShaggerTychoCaineatilladehunTowthecuttercolm_mcmStrummsnick 56razorbluntpatrickcDamien360heebusjeebusLurchingscudzilla 127 votes
    Shower every second day
    18%
    StarkglynfDubDaniongaritehorsebox1977Sgt HartmanzedheadmrsoundieSkylineheadheathledgerloveEathringutenbergpat kThespooferpauliebdubJoeCole26ahnowbrowncowPopePalpatinelertsnimrunwithme 48 votes
    Shower 2-3 times per week
    19%
    Ger RoecarlosJupiterKidRiesen_MealGreyfoxfinbarrkfamagustakrissovoDaraDaliXyoL1m1tlessmookishboyCrazyivan 1979NeitherJohnJafinwayne0308kellier180Outkast_IREsteviebgmun1 51 votes
    I don't have a shower but I take a bath instead
    12%
    Mythagotargetjohnxbigarshakincallaway92MayoForSamwolfyboy555_Godot_QuacksterCharlie19lertsnimFaganJrmarialouiseCastlekeeperCELBRIDGE HOOPduffysfarmMorbythe_pen_turnerFlutterby90 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So your a Phil Collins fan or is it Huey Lewis?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whats a pump shower please? Another thread was talking about this today. How does it differ in how it works to an lx one? (I’m not a big fan of trickle volume lx ‘mira’ showers).

Long thread on showering elsewhere recently. Might be worth a check. People get very hot under the collar about it!!

(Like maybe your ex. Lucky escape IMO!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

whats a pump shower please? Another thread was talking about this today. How does it differ in how it works to an lx one? (I’m not a big fan of trickle volume lx ‘mira’ showers).

Long thread on showering elsewhere recently. Might be worth a check. People get very hot under the collar about it!!

(Like maybe your ex. Lucky escape IMO!!)

So in Ireland the two most common types are an Electric Shower like a Mira elite, these are hugely popular for instant hot water but put out a very low volume of water and take much longer to wash yourself due to the pathetic low flow rates and guzzle electricity.

A pumped pressure shower is a pump usually in the hotpress which pumps the hot and cold water from the respective tanks. The hot feed is coming from the copper cylinder and is heated by your oil/gas boiler, stove, solar panels or electric immersion. In Irish homes it is common to have a tank of hot water alot of the year when the stove or central heating is on. They provide a very strong pressure shower and use far more water, think like a good quality hotel power shower. In Irish homes often there is a couple hundred litres of hot water bubbling away wasted because the hot tank water is not used for showering only the useless mira/triton showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We have pumped and an electric shower. The pumped is better but it's downstairs whereas the leccy one is in the main bathroom so that gets used a lot more often, it's not bad by any stretch - actually I can probably count on one hand the number of times the downstairs one has been used.

Anyway, this thread comes up kinda regularly. When commuting back in the day, I'd be up and shower as part of normal daily routine. The morning shower has gone now in place of night time after a bit of DIY (it's never ending) or exercise. If not for the exertion I'd gladly go for the every 2/3 days approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

theguzman wrote: »
    So in Ireland the two most common types are an Electric Shower like a Mira elite, these are hugely popular for instant hot water but put out a very low volume of water and take much longer to wash yourself due to the pathetic low flow rates and guzzle electricity.

A pumped pressure shower is a pump usually in the hotpress which pumps the hot and cold water from the respective tanks. The hot feed is coming from the copper cylinder and is heated by your oil/gas boiler, stove, solar panels or electric immersion. In Irish homes it is common to have a tank of hot water alot of the year when the stove or central heating is on. They provide a very strong pressure shower and use far more water, think like a good quality hotel power shower. In Irish homes often there is a couple hundred litres of hot water bubbling away wasted because the hot tank water is not used for showering only the useless mira/triton showers.

Using a lot more water for a shower is not a good thing.

Electric showers are way more efficient, and supply plenty of water for a regular shower.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »

Electric showers are way more efficient, and supply plenty of water for a regular shower.

I have my own private supply on the land and have a flow rates of around a couple thousand litres per minute, using as much water is a choice and I much prefer it than standing in an electric shower for a seemingly endless time with a trickle of water, this is Ireland and I don't give a damn about water conservation as we have the worlds largest unending supply. If I choose to spend a few more euros on energy thats my life and choice.

That's not really accurate.

If you use that hot water, your heating then heats the replacement cold water which then cools overnight and is reheated next day.

If you are using a pumped system, solar panels are your man and may your father never see you mentioning the immersion!

So in terms of heating the water and water usage, your system is the less efficient. And that's why electric showers are so popular

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Allinall wrote: »

There’s no waiting around for the water to “heat up” either.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I will never forget the Gaeltacht. Our Bean an Ti only let us use the shower once a week! It was horrible. I used to just wash in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Donny Patterson

So your a Phil Collins fan or is it Huey Lewis?

No no. I like Whitney Houston.
    The Greatest Love of All, is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation and dignity.

I've to return some video tapes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Wtf is this? Thinly veiled I’ve got a pumped shower and once had a girlfriend thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Shower every second day
    I have my own private supply on the land and have a flow rates of around a couple thousand litres per minute,

I appreciate I'm being extremely pedantic. But in a domestic setup like your home, this is either extreme overkill or, albeit more likely, inaccurate.

And to answer your question, I'm a farmer, so a daily shower is very necessary, in some cases, particularly this week gone by, I'd have to have a shower before going to the gym or for a swim, and again after

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Shower every forty eight hours ,spend 5 minutes, herself showers every two days and spends around thirteen minutes, she uses the triton, I use the high volume one

I cannot believe the amount that don't shower daily.

Went 4 years without one but I'd have around 3 a week these days. Just wash the main stuff at the sink the other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Before lockdown, would shower every morning.

Since working at home, have often left it 3 or 4 days, but typically every second day. And I can say my skin is less dry in places and hair in far better condition for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I cannot believe the amount that don't shower daily.

There is no need to shower daily

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a shower every time this comes up on Boards.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    There is no need to shower daily

There's plenty of reasons. Whether you consider them or not is a personal choice.

At the moment, it's summer and people are sweating.

I sweat in work as many do. If you go to the gym, you sweat. Basically..... Sweaty 🥵

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's no option for shower pretty much every day but sometimes not if I'm really hungover and not going to leave the house that day.
    I only spend about 2 mins in shower anyway, and now that gyms are back open I usually use the showers there.
    Funny how this question always comes up here, for years and years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

hurikane wrote: »
    Wtf is this? Thinly veiled I’ve got a pumped shower and once had a girlfriend thread?

Correction, Mammy and Daddy have a pumped shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Before lockdown, would shower every morning.

Since working at home, have often left it 3 or 4 days, but typically every second day. And I can say my skin is less dry in places and hair in far better condition for it.

3 to 4 days , you have the 'ol social distancing down to a fine art

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I shower every morning as soon as I get up.

Have an electric shower; works fine.
    One thing I am curious about - on every electric shower I've seen (my parents, in laws, friends houses), it says "THIS SHOWER MUST NEVER BE CONNECTED TO A MAINS WATER SUPPLY"

Why not?

One thing I am curious about - on every electric shower I've seen (my parents, in laws, friends houses), it says "THIS SHOWER MUST NEVER BE CONNECTED TO A MAINS WATER SUPPLY"

Why not?

They can be both depending on what they are using.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I usually shower morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Shower every morning before work in an electric shower. Will shower in the evening if I'm going out or particularly shweaty.
    Changed the shower head to a smaller one and it made a huge difference to the pressure.
    Also have a pumped shower but only use it when the house heating is on.
    Immersions should come with a health warning. The amount of " I forgot it was on" conversations we've had in this house...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why not?

Inconsistent pressure possibly?

If the pressure drops, the water will be a lot hotter, with a chance of getting burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I understand why showering daily is not necessarily the best for your skin especially due to the excessive use of shower gels and shampoos on a daily basis but I do love a daily shower purely for the relaxing and even therapeutic benefits I get from it. I only shower first thing in the morning as it wakes me up and is the only compensation for dragging myself out of bed or else after my morning run. I'll sometimes have a second shower if I'm heading out in the evening and was after a day of physical work or after a day at the beach.

Once I installed a pump shower 15 years ago, I could never go back to electric!

Shower every morning before work in an electric shower. Will shower in the evening if I'm going out or particularly shweaty.
    Changed the shower head to a smaller one and it made a huge difference to the pressure.
    Also have a pumped shower but only use it when the house heating is on.
    Immersions should come with a health warning. The amount of " I forgot it was on" conversations we've had in this house...

An immersion timer is the way forward, set it for whatever lenght of time is enough to heat enough time for your shower, eg. you usually shower at 6am and let it come on at 5:30am before your morning shower and it will click off at say 6am or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Pumped showers here with aerated shower heads to conserve water ( feels same) Lovely.

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/blog/buying-guides/water-saving-shower-heads

Advertisement