Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission for Bayside shopping center demolition granted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Hard to see this one hold up. I worked in that area for 2 years. It is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 info91

Any details on when Aldi might be opening? Building looking almost finished.....at last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

info91 wrote: »
    Any details on when Aldi might be opening? Building looking almost finished.....at last!!

Heard it's still aiming for end of February.

Seemingly because there's the Drs surgery and dentist going in to the building too it's deemed essential so work is still continuing.

I wonder if everything will still go in as planned. There's supposed to be a gym and coffee place going in (I think they are going where creche is and creche moving to aldi building )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

BowWow wrote: »
    Sign in Kelly's window Sutton, From 450k to 650k...
    Ridiculous pricing!
    There's a 3-bed house for sale in Bayside Square East for €395k.
    But all apartments seem to be purchased now by BTL companies. They are the only ones who can afford these stupid prices, due to tax breaks etc. But that's another story / thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

deandean wrote: »
    Ridiculous pricing!
    There's a 3-bed house for sale in Bayside Square East for €395k.
    But all apartments seem to be purchased now by BTL companies. They are the only ones who can afford these stupid prices, due to tax breaks etc. But that's another story / thread.

This is mental. And you need your head checked if you pay 650K for anything in that build. Same will happen down in St.Annes. All the shouting about housing crises etc. When we know that no normal waged local person will be able to afford anything in the development. The Bayside project has to win an award for most drawn out and complicated. Feel sorry for the residents living directly around it all these years. And for the older generation who have just wanted their shops.
    Hopefully its an ending worth waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Alicano wrote: »
    This is mental. The Bayside project has to win an award for most drawn out and complicated

I lived in bayside square in 2004 and there was talk at the time of the whole centre being redeveloped, new houses built and its still not finished

neris wrote: »
    I lived in bayside square in 2004 and there was talk at the time of the whole centre being redeveloped, new houses built and its still not finished

There was an awful lot of opposition to the plans. The majority of residents didn't want apartment blocks going in with the extra traffic/parking, overlooking existing property and the drains were always a problem.

I do think the builder pulled a fast one when applied for an extra level halfway through the build as the foundations would have to be in place already to take the extra weight etc.

At the time I think half the residents didn't realise extra planning permission was being sought to object to it. Also a combination of being cheesed off and wanting the project finished they lost their appetite to fight it.

A friend of mine bought one of the new apartments overlooking St Anne's Park, a two-bedroom penthouse with parking and a storage space it was just under 500k.

But at least these apartments in Bayside for sale even if they are crazy prices.

Just down the road the newly completed blocks of Apartments and houses on the Howth Road overlooking Bull Island, it's called strand view, there are about 70 Apartments and houses in all. The whole lot was bought by a BTL Company and none of them are for sale. Rent price starts from about 2000 per month for a one bedroom apartment!

deandean wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought one of the new apartments overlooking St Anne's Park, a two-bedroom penthouse with parking and a storage space it was just under 500k.

But at least these apartments in Bayside for sale even if they are crazy prices.

Just down the road the newly completed blocks of Apartments and houses on the Howth Road overlooking Bull Island, it's called strand view, there are about 70 Apartments and houses in all. The whole lot was bought by a BTL Company and none of them are for sale. Rent price starts from about 2000 per month for a one bedroom apartment!

Is that the one just before the junction at blackbanks if heading towards town? Rumours (may have been posted on here aswell) that google or facebook bought the apartments in the old blackbanks garden centre for staff.

neris wrote: »
    Is that the one just before the junction at blackbanks if heading towards town? Rumours (may have been posted on here aswell) that google or facebook bought the apartments in the old blackbanks garden centre for staff.
    Yea that's the one. Looks like it was included in this deal:
    There were two large property sales in Dublin in July (2020), both bought by German investors. Firstly, a real estate fund managed by Deutsche Bank subsidiary DWS paid €145m to acquire a portfolio of 317 residential units that the MKN Property Group is developing in Dublin.
    The deal will see DWS secure ownership of the Prestige portfolio, a mix of existing and new-build apartments and houses distributed across four schemes in the north Dublin suburbs of Swords, Raheny, Clontarf and Killester. The deal was the largest PRS build-to-rent sale in Ireland this year.

Those apartments at the garden centre: looks like they're gonna be called 1..40 Blackbanks View. I haven't found anything about them but practically every apartment development these days is bought by a BTL company. I think Google / Facebook strongly prefer city-centre apartments for their staff (and there are apparently a lot of city-centre apts now vacant).

• Advertisement

Looks like the penthouse has gone sale agreed.

Hearing end of May for Aldi opening...at this stage that could be 2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Finally.....some positive updates relating to Bayside Shopping Centre Development (taken from Bayside Community Association Facebook page):

UPDATE ON BAYSIDE SHOPPING CENTRE DEVELOPMENT

ALDI
    The full fit out will continue when restrictions are lifted and will take approximately 4-6 weeks. If the current lockdown restrictions are lifted on April 5th the store could be opened towards the end of May.

MEDICAL CENTRE
    Work on the fit out continues at present as it is considered an essential service. It will be completed by the end of this month.
    The dentist is now in-situ.
    Doctors�� will move in when work is completed.
    Podiatrist service will occupy one of the units
    Mind Psychologist will be available in one of the units
    CAF��
    The lease has been agreed and the new occupiers are deciding on what they will call our new café!
    The cafe will be accommodated across both the existing barbers space and the old Chinese space. There will be an outdoor seating area to the front of the unit.
    BARBERS�� will move to the ‘unit in the middle’ looking on to the carpark.
    BAKERY�� will retain its original space PLUS will take over the former Hardware Shop (Derek’s).
    Munchies�� our favourite takeaway is staying ��
    CRECHE �� will move from its current location in September to the other side of the block.
    GYM ��will be fitted out when restrictions are lifted and should be open by the Summer.
    Both the gym and crèche will be accessed through a separate lobby on the west side of the development.
    PROPOSED RESTAURANT was to be located in the area currently occupied by the crèche, however plans for the restaurant have not be firmed up due to the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

Any update on when the Aldi might open?

No, as far as I'm aware they've started to install the interior fixtures. Can't see them being too complicated as they operate on fairly warehouse style .......I'd say July.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No, as far as I'm aware they've started to install the interior fixtures. Can't see them being too complicated as they operate on fairly warehouse style .......I'd say July.

Yes they said July on Twitter...
    https://twitter.com/Aldi_Ireland/status/1398187064340983808?s=20

They are covering themselves there for further delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

8th July seems to be the target

https://www.aldi.ie/about-aldi/property

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Northside people have a piece ... says Thursday 8th july for Aldi opening.

9am-10pm opening weekdays.
    9am-9pm weekends

Also big ads in it for the new dental practice

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

About time. Hopefully it all ends up worth the huge wait. Feel sorry for locals living beside that mess for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭antimatterx

About time. Hopefully it all ends up worth the huge wait. Feel sorry for locals living beside that mess for years.

It was arguably a worse mess before construction started. Baldoyle shopping center should be next for a rebuild.

• Advertisement

It was arguably a worse mess before construction started. Baldoyle shopping center should be next for a rebuild.

Even in the 80's it had a rundown feel to it and it would be relatively new at that stage.

However being without a proper supermarket for so long was a right mess.

Now the supermarket was never overly busy, very few people would do a weekly shop there as it was more expensive than neighbouring supermarkets. That said it stocked a wide range of products and extremely handy for a top up shop.

Plus anyone who doesn't drive has been Abit snookered (ok there's online but that has only really taken off this year with covid etc)

Dated yes. A mess is a bit harsh. But an upgrade is very welcome. I miss the slope and big old trees at the side (where I think Derek garden shop place is)?
    Has Munchies andf the greatest chicken burger of all time survived? Haven't been down since pre-covid so it's all vague to me now.

Agree on Lidl Baldoyle racecourse. 1970s...

Dated yes. A mess is a bit harsh. But an upgrade is very welcome. I miss the slope and big old trees at the side (where I think Derek garden shop place is)?
    Has Munchies andf the greatest chicken burger of all time survived? Haven't been down since pre-covid so it's all vague to me now.

Agree on Lidl Baldoyle racecourse. 1970s...

Munchies is still there, think hours are scaled back due to covid hopefully that's just temporary.

Lidl in baldoyle is a joke, aisles hardly big enough for a trolley to fit, then big pillers in the middle of said aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's nice to get Aldi close though. Saves the drive to coolock.

I've switched from Lidl Baldoyle to Portmarnock. It's a much nicer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

They're currently renovating/extending Baldoyle Lidl afaik.

along with the cheap wooden eyesore outside the racecourse.

raheny red wrote: »
    They're currently renovating/extending Baldoyle Lidl afaik.

I think theyre doing more storage out the back of it and moving the entrance to the far end of the store, must be one of the worse lidl's in the country for size and stock. its handy for grabbing a few things when in a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

taking their on the refit of the central block

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Lidl in baldoyle is a joke, aisles hardly big enough for a trolley to fit, then big pillers in the middle of said aisle.

IIRC Lidl Baldoyle was the second store that they opened in the country. They were just feeling their way in the market.

Back in the early days they used to import their own fruit and veg. Some of it was fantastic and very cheap ( apricots, chicory and wonderful heads of lettuce from France come to mind )

Store should have been preserved in all its grottiness as a bit of history :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

I went by Aldi Bayside for the 1st time in months yday. Unless they're working round the clock, Thursday's opening seems ambitious.

Advertisement