Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Pogue eile wrote: »
    That was the one big positive from our final league game, our shooting was the best it had been for a long time.

Will O'Donnell be available I wonder - have heard that it is a very serious injury and he is still in a bad way, if he plays I would imagine it would be on the wing, Shanagher literally cant play anywhere other than Full Forward.

I would agree about Kelly, I think he will be out around the middle for most if not all the game. Lohan got things spot on against Waterford but they had months to plan for it and Waterford very foolishly in my opinion showed far too much in the last two league games, they have had only a week to think about Tipp and they probably have no idea how Tipp will line out from 8-15

Considering what we now know about Waterford and what they conceded during the league and how much time and space they gave to Clare to shoot,
    Can we take one single game against Waterford even if it was the last game as the truth of our accuracy and take it that those issues are ironed out?
    Although, I'd be confident in our accuracy up front when it comes to the crunch. But opening rounds of the championship can be tricky - the speed and intensity of the game can be a shock, and getting the eye in at that speed can take time.
    I don't know if O'Donnell will be right. Anthony Daly seems to think so. But he might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Patchin

Rain will suit tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It would appear that the appeal was unsuccessful and the transfers will go ahead to Cashel unless a further appeal to the DRA is lodged.

I understand that Arron Browne and Devon Ryan have been training with the U20 hurlers and will be added to the panel officially once all this is finalised.

Tipp v Clare on Sunday will have 3000 people in attendance after being upgraded to a test event

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

formerlyET wrote: »
    Tipp v Clare on Sunday will have 3000 people in attendance after being upgraded to a test event

A test event with 3000 people!!

What's the capacity of the gaelic grounds like 45,000, good lord! Absolute joke.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

What's the capacity of the gaelic grounds like 45,000, good lord! Absolute joke.

Unfortunately, I think the conservatism accurately reflects fears regarding the abilities, administration and vision of those in charge at Government and HSE levels for decades. Infamously, we can't organize or cope with very little in those institutions.

If anything goes wrong, just like after Christmas, we're in ****sville in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

They also want people to wear a mask while watching the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Unfortunately, I think the conservatism accurately reflects fears regarding the abilities, administration and vision of those in charge at Government and HSE levels for decades. Infamously, we can't organize or cope with very little in those institutions.

If anything goes wrong, just like after Christmas, we're in ****sville in no time at all.

Also reflects the fear of a surge in cases like in Scotland, part of which is related to Euro soccer gatherings.

You've hit on something there. At the core of this issue is a lot of arse covering. I think us Irish people are getting particularly anxious having seen Euro 2020 with full crowds in some matches. However, our vaccine rollout has been pretty poorly organised tbh.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Also reflects the fear of a surge in cases like in Scotland, part of which is related to Euro soccer gatherings.

At the end of the day, we are going to have to find a way of living with the virus. It's completely unrealistic to think we can go on living the way we are. surely the crucial stats now are hospitalisations, ICU, and deaths???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tickets online available since 9, not going down but I'd no problem getting a ticket secured.

https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/tipp0407sf

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

Just Like Seamie,We dissect the Banner

Episode 48 sees Mike, Sean & Enda review Waterford v Clare in Munster & Wexford v Laois, Dublin v Antrim in Leinster, before dissecting the Banner ahead of the Munster semi-final on Sunday 0-28 Mins

Mike gloats about his Fantasy Hurling performance while Sean & Enda tell their transfer tactics. 28-35 Mins

Tipp Camogie lost out to Cork in Munster while Aisling Moloney suffers season ending injury. 35-40 Mins

We Finish up with local GAA, Junior A & B hurling finals for 2020, North & Mid start U19 Hurling and the lads look at the Tipp U20 & U17 Hurling & Football panels. 40-67 Mins

Available to listen across all platforms via the

thepremierviewpodcast.com

Tickets online available since 9, not going down but I'd no problem getting a ticket secured.

https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/tipp0407sf

Cheers up for the heads-up, Mantis. Absolute hero. Saw your post this morning and got tickets for some very happy people. Thanks

The Tipperary under 20 panel:

Rory Brislane Toomevara
    Tony Cahill Drom & Inch
    John Campion Drom & Inch
    Michael Corcoran Silvermines
    Paddy Creedon Thurles Sarsfields
    James Devaney Borris-Ileigh
    Robert Doyle Clonoulty Rossmore
    Enda Dunphy St Marys
    Colm Fogarty Lorrha Dorrha
    Max Hackett Moycarkey Borris
    Sean Hayes Kiladangan
    Conor Hennessey Nenagh Eire Óg
    Jack Leamy Golden Kilfeacle
    Kevin Maher Borris-Ileigh
    Peter McGarry St Marys
    Ciaran O Dwyer Killenaule
    Conor O Dwyer Cashel King Cormacs
    Jason O Dwyer Clonoulty Rossmore
    Kian O Kelly Kilruane MacDonaghs
    Michael O Shea CJ Kickhams Mullinahone
    Sean Phelan Nenagh Eire Óg
    Fintan Purcell Drom & Inch
    Johnny Ryan Arravale Rovers
    Keith Ryan Upperchurch-Drombane
    Luke Shanahan Upperchurch-Drombane
    Kyle Shelly Moycarkey Borris
    Dara Stakelum Thurles Sarsfields
    Conor Whelan Carrick Davins

Devon Ryan and Aron Browne have been added.

Tipperary Senior Hurling team v Clare

Barry Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Padraic Maher
    Barry Heffernan
    Brendan Maher
    Seamus Kennedy
    Ronan Maher
    Noel McGrath
    Michael Breen
    Jason Forde
    John McGrath
    Dan McCormack
    John O'Dwyer
    Seamus Callanan
    Jake Morris

We have a young bench!

Tipp-teams-powerpoint-MSC-Tipperary-v-Clare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

We have a young bench!

Tipp-teams-powerpoint-MSC-Tipperary-v-Clare.jpg

John McGrath at 11 is interesting. Could see Sheedy telling him to drift off Conlon. Force him make a decision to follow him or not, could open up space for other forwards. McGrath good at delivering the ball when he can get the head up, and can score from distance. Has been off form recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

I presume Jason Forde will play in the inside line with either Jake or Bubbles playing further out.

Presumably Seamus Kennedy will be very deep with Noel in front of him mopping up and distributing.

An interesting factor is the amount of knowledge Lohan has of Tipp guys that went to UL. Not to mention, Sean Treacy is intrenched in Tipp hurling, with the county champions.

I'd be happy enough that John McGrath is in the half forward line - perhaps there might be a lot of changes or moving around in the forwards- but John is the stickman who is most capable of putting in a physical shift and has the engine to so. Unfortunately, I think the same will be asked of Jason - when he is clearly lethal inside.

In fairness to Sheedy, he tried a few midfield pairings and nobody nailed it down. Back to the tried and trusted. Cadell for all his ability is not savvy enough yet, in terms of minding possession, just got turned over too much.

The one change/injection of youth that really worked during the league was Barry Hogan and he is in. And I think it's the right call.

Big chance for Jake Morris to push on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'd be happy enough that John McGrath is in the half forward line - perhaps there might be a lot of changes or moving around in the forwards- but John is the stickman who is most capable of putting in a physical shift and has the engine to so. Unfortunately, I think the same will be asked of Jason - when he is clearly lethal inside.

In fairness to Sheedy, he tried a few midfield pairings and nobody nailed it down. Back to the tried and trusted. Cadell for all his ability is not savvy enough yet, in terms of minding possession, just got turned over too much.

The one change/injection of youth that really worked during the league was Barry Hogan and he is in. And I think it's the right call.

Big chance for Jake Morris to push on now.

Sheedy still has no faith in his youth..

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Last year in the first league match against Limerick John McGrath looked outstanding at centre forward. It was only one half but his ability to bring others into the game and make the ball stick was great.

I've no idea how we'll set up to counter act Clare. As is often usual the ones who were poor last week for Clare will be good against us, e,g, Shanagher.

I really don't like the idea of Paidi at full back. I imagine he will foul a lot, a bit like James Barry, good in possession will take no chance on being turned and burned for pace.

farmerval wrote: »
    Last year in the first league match against Limerick John McGrath looked outstanding at centre forward. It was only one half but his ability to bring others into the game and make the ball stick was great.

I've no idea how we'll set up to counter act Clare. As is often usual the ones who were poor last week for Clare will be good against us, e,g, Shanagher.

I really don't like the idea of Paidi at full back. I imagine he will foul a lot, a bit like James Barry, good in possession will take no chance on being turned and burned for pace.

John did very well in the pockets of time he spent at center forward in the 2019 all ireland. Put in a real shift.

Unless Fr Time has knocked on Paidi (I don't think he has) - I think he is a step-up from James Barry. I'd have faith in him. But Brian McGrath and, as I said last year, I really think, Quigley has the goods for full back are on the line if the worst comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Sheedy has gone for what he trusts and what he knows. I suspect this is his last year.
    the age profile cannot be ignored.
    average age starting team 28
    four players age over 30, three of whom are 32 plus.

Tipp will not win the all ireland this year - this is the same team as last year who were easily beaten by limerick.
    We should be in a re building phase but sheedy has decided he does not want to do that - the next manager can take care of that.

I fear for tipp hurling, We could be well entering a dangerous stage where we have to rebuild and that will take some years but also could be looking for a new sponsor which will also seriously affect how that rebuilding goes.

last years championship was so short and teams had no chance to prepare what sheedy should have done is picked ALL youth for the championship. best of those U 20s teams. that was a big mistake by Sheedy.
    he should have known tipp could not win 2020 and used it to blood players so 2021 he would have a better squad.
    Where is Gr Browne, he should be starting midfield this year and we would be a better team for it.

Liam Cahill must be manager next year. he deserves to manage tipp and we will win all Irelands if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'd compare and contrast us to Cork. They've been rebuilding for past 2-3 years, throwing young lads in and hoping to see them develop. Sheedy has been more conservative. Time will tell what the best method is but cork haven't cut through yet while tipp won in 2019 with the same old dire prognostations of doom hovering over them as regards age/lack of pace etc. Probably, there's a balance to be achieved with these things and you could argue maybe Sheedy hasn't got it quite right in terms of new blood, but it isn't as if any of them have emphatically put their hands up and demanded "pick me." Cadell arguably the closest but he's still a raw talent. O'Mara was unlucky with the injury.

I too had high hopes for Ger Browne but he's obviously not an option given what's gone on. Hopefully he'll get back on track as soon as all that settles down.

I fear for tipp hurling

I don't think you've been watching very closely the last few years. Maybe you should take up a soccer team or maybe follow the death notices from now, might suit your mindset more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Sheedy has gone for what he trusts and what he knows. I suspect this is his last year.
    the age profile cannot be ignored.
    average age starting team 28
    four players age over 30, three of whom are 32 plus.

Tipp will not win the all ireland this year - this is the same team as last year who were easily beaten by limerick.
    We should be in a re building phase but sheedy has decided he does not want to do that - the next manager can take care of that.

I fear for tipp hurling, We could be well entering a dangerous stage where we have to rebuild and that will take some years but also could be looking for a new sponsor which will also seriously affect how that rebuilding goes.

last years championship was so short and teams had no chance to prepare what sheedy should have done is picked ALL youth for the championship. best of those U 20s teams. that was a big mistake by Sheedy.
    he should have known tipp could not win 2020 and used it to blood players so 2021 he would have a better squad.
    Where is Gr Browne, he should be starting midfield this year and we would be a better team for it.

Liam Cahill must be manager next year. he deserves to manage tipp and we will win all Irelands if he does.

Jaysus I hope I can stop laughing before throw in :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Our age profile gets overplayed a lot. Yes, players will be slower than they were but they're also very experienced and have been through a lot. Paddy Stapelton spoke a bit on this during The GAA Hour this week.

Also big game for Barry in goal - I do think it's the right choice. Hoping to see something different with our puck outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ompala wrote: »
    Our age profile gets overplayed a lot. Yes, players will be slower than they were but they're also very experienced and have been through a lot. Paddy Stapelton spoke a bit on this during The GAA Hour this week.

Also big game for Barry in goal - I do think it's the right choice. Hoping to see something different with our puck outs.

It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy in a way. One year it may just come to pass and Ger Locky will pop up somewhere and go "sure i tried to tell ye that 5 years ago but ye wouldn't listen" etc. I prefer barry too, think it means less dropping of bombs on the 40 or deeper and more variety in puck out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

when the year is over we can all come back here and review the year.
    i bet every poster at that stage will be saying we need youth and power and speed to live with the likes of limerick and galway. Tipp need new blood.
    The thing is I know it now, many supporters dont get it because they actually know very little about hurling.
    same supporters who think paudi maher can go to full back sunday and lord it over Clare.

Tipp might win sunday and if they do great but i predict if tipp do win, it will be only our win of the year.

Advertisement