Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Apologies, I stand corrected, I confused you saying 'I blame the CCP' with 'I blame China'.

Although, if you consider the context - assigning political blame first, and then trying to construct a pseudo-scientific narrative to validate the claim - it makes absolutely no difference.

I laughed at this, do you even know who you're replying to? Or do you think me and the geospatial poster are actually the one and the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I don't know to whom that rant is directed at, but I know the DNA kit mentioned is relevant simply because a) it was literally cited in a prestigious journal as being used and b) I thought the reverse transcriptase aspect of such a cloning protocol would be obvious to informed commentary. It seems like you don't actually have a clue about microbiology though.

Do you believe Covid 19 has been tampered with/modified/created by humans or it's zoonotic?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Do you believe Covid 19 has been tampered with/modified/created by humans or it's zoonotic?
    Asking for someone's beliefs? Why? What has that to do with the points I raised?

Asking for someone's beliefs? Why? What has that to do with the points I raised?

You seem to have some experience in a related field so I am simply asking. Do you have an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

do you even know who you're replying to?

Yes. Some random person on the Internet.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    You seem to have some experience in a related field so I am simply asking. Do you have an opinion?
    The best way to give a succinct answer is: I'd generally support the views and opinions of Alina Chan (Broad Institute researcher). I would certainly not call e.g. an accidental human-related release a conspiracy theory for instance. Whether the virus was "created" by man, is a separate but possibly related question, and there is a lack of information to conclusively make a call based on science.

Yes. Some random person on the Internet.
    So you reply to someone about the points somebody else made, and infer criticism of the CCP is an attack on China. Right.

In case anyone wanted to have more scientific literature covering the construction of chimeric viruses, here's a JoV paper from 2002 where seamless techniques were used to create a mouse hepatitis virus strain. I note that an author of this paper is Ralph Baric, the same collaborator named with Shi Zhengli in various prestigious journals on sarbecovirus gain-of-function research:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12368349/

Anyone claiming that a "manufactured" virus inherently shows give-away clues in its sequence is peddling a demonstrable falsehood.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Does anyone still think covid didn't come from a Lab?

Most people I'd say. For awhile the lab theory gained traction, but several of its key scientific proponents have walked it back as more info has come to light. The main scientific consensus seems to be that it was zoonotic (came from animals) but accidental lab leak cannot be completely ruled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

This is a thought-provoking discussion about why the Lab leak makes sense., You always have people in life who doubt 9/11 and JFK was a conspiracy, It's great to see some reasonable discussion around this Covid 19 topic. The clues all point to a lab leak, but some people don't see the evidence.Find many on here. 

Quite long, but just to point out that the book he's selling has had mixed reviews

"Two champions of ‘rigorous science’ fail to provide a shred of evidence that Covid-19 was engineered and leaked from a lab"

"In reality, however, “Viral” is a laboratory-perfect example of how not to write about a scientific issue. The authors rely less on the scientists doing the painstaking work to unearth the virus’ origin than on self-described sleuths who broadcast their dubious claims, sometimes anonymously, on social media. In the end, Chan and Ridley spotlight all the shortcomings of the hypothesis they set out to defend."

Ridley himself is a prominent climate-change denier.

Your article is false. He provided plenty of evidence that a court would find Covid 19 was engineered. Things he mentioned could not have come from the wild or animals. Moreover, he makes a strong case that Fauci and others suppressed this knowledge. He said Fauci and other virologists actually believed could have came from a lab read their original leaked emails, but in their positions given to the public giving different stories. They gave their true thoughts in speaking with each over emails but anything provided to the public was reversed.

Elon Musk even exposed all the Covid political backstabbing that went on behind the scenes at Twitter. Possibly, reputation management denials are being used to hide the truth. They probably wanted to protect their own asses since the leak went global and their funding into this was the main cause,

There is no way anyone could claim there is no proof after watching this video. 

We don't know the origin of Covid, the current scientific consensus is that it likely came from animals, although a lab leak can't be ruled out. This book, by two scientists, doesn't change that, on top of that it has a few red flags which has singled it out for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So lets settle on the most incomprehensible, implausible scenario that it was all due to two animals who went at it behind the Wuhan Coronavirus Research Laboratory.

Because god forbid it's the blindingly obvious scenario that you refuse to accept due to the chances of there being a conspiratorial element to the whole thing. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,227 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

You believe that all space travel is fake.

So you arguing that your preferred conclusion is "comphrensible and plausible" is not really a point in its favour.

Have you consider that since you hold such extreme beliefs like the notion that all space flights are fake that maybe your understanding of what reasonable explanations are are a bit skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DirectorKrennic

Hi all,

I don't post on boards.ie often but on balance, I think the most likely explanation of what happened is an accidental lab leak. In 2014 President Obama received a briefing on 'gain of function research' - something which has split the community of virologists. Obama decided to put in place a pause on U.S. federal Government funding for this research due to perceived risks. Other parts of the U.S. Government, most notably the NIH and others, felt that the research should continue. American taxpayers money was then provided to a non-profit health organisation called The EcoHealth Alliance. The EcoHealth Alliance is headquarted in NYC and is led by a British national, called Dr. Peter Daszak. They then worked with the NIH and the Wuhan Institute of Virology to conduct research on coronaviruses as they were hoping to learn more about SARS-type viruses and prevent a global pandemic. In effect, their mission was to create 'an early warning system.' Unfortunately, as part of the research, they inserted what is known as a 'furin cleavage site' into the spike protein to make it more effective at infecting human cells. In labs, you can grow human cells on mice called 'humanized mice' where you then infect the cells to see how a human cell would react. If you don't infect the human cell, you can't determine how it would react. Unfortunately, it seems likely there was some sort of accident which lead to the pandemic. Lab accidents are quite common. No other coronavirus has the 'unique furin cleavage site' that Covid-19 has, thus it isn't a bioweapon, or entirely natural, it was simply an original strain of coronavirus which was made more effective at infecting human cells with modifications made to the spike protein. Even Dr. Raplh Baric who has said it didn't come from the lab said in private emails 'this looks potentially engineered.' This would explain why it is so transmissible. There is insufficient evidence to prove that it did come from a natural zoontonic spillover. Sadly, like any profession, there were also conflicts of interest. Dr Fauci funded a lot of this research and Dr Daszak (who also was on the WHO team investigating the origins of covid) likely had a vested interested in descrediting the lab leak theory. Some people believe that patient zero was a young lady called Huang Yanling who accidently infected herself. I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of what happened but this is what I think happened. I don't think any Government would have wanted to admit this during the pandemic due to the economic damage caused etc. It is very hard to know if the above is true, when the accident occurred. It is possible there was a delay in notifying more senior members of the CCP. Anyway, we will never likely know I don't think. I just think it is a bit too coincidental personally that the virus type was SARS and the source city was Wuhan when we know the Wuhan Institute of Virology has the largest databank of SARS-type viruses. I also think the links between the NIH, the EcoHealth Alliance and the Wuhan Institute of Virology are well documented. It was a sad accident, and I hope it doesn't happen again. If research like this is to continue, I personally think it should be done in a remote area and not large population centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DirectorKrennic

zoonotic*

Is your personal opinion.

The current (overwhelming) consensus among scientists is that it jumped from bats to humans (via a host). However we don't know for sure, so we can't rule out the lab leak theory. As we all know, the lab leak theory is more "exciting" and is therefore more attractive to people who are into conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

I’m no expert on the matter:

However it was first detected close to WIV.

patient zero never confirmed.

intermediate species never confirmed.

research on coronavirus was being done.

the library of data from WIV disappeared ( was it a cyberattack I think they said.

the WHO were pushing China early on, as they have done before (recordings from WHO meetings).

the media narrative was that it definitely is zoonotic (really not scientific without evidence).

genetic sequence was released without government approval.

along with many more discrepancies.

the investigation into the lab was only allowed over a year later.

My thoughts, it did leak from the lab, but it’s a highly political issue, with multiple countries involved, will they ever admit it, I really doubt it. Imagine the uproar.

I believe there’s an article from the Lancet journal, inferring a lab leak is the most likely cause. I’ll try find the link.

• Advertisement

A very good post. Well-written summary of the issues. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dr. Richard Ebright, board of governors professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University, said that from the very first reports of a novel bat-related coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, it took him “a nanosecond or a picosecond” to consider a link to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Only two other labs in the world, in Galveston, Texas, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina, were doing similar research. “It’s not a dozen cities,” he said. “It’s three places.”

I think this was pretty significant two. Three places in the world doing the type of coronavirus research. It would be a conspiracy theory to investigate the institute in the same place as the outbreak.

There's some crackpots here that would tell you mouth was their anus if the government told them that the science supported that view

There aren't many scientists who support the leak theory. There are many who support the zoonotic origin theory. Again, neither can be ruled out, but the scientific weight is still behind the zoonotic link.

Those people are the experts, not us.

Of course a bunch of people on an internet conspiracy theory forum will "pick a side" that represents the most exciting conspiracy sounding one. It goes without saying.

But no one your accusing actually holds that position dude.

No one here believes things just cause scientists say so. Except maybe conspiracy theorists when they find someone with qualifications who supports their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

As I said some people will say anything. I think it was a tactic of the church to undermine people because they weren't educated enough. Crackpot stuff.

This topic is in the wrong forum. It should be in a special forum for people who won't believe the evidence of their own eyes 😅

Yup. You falsely accused people of holding a position they don't hold.

What do you mean "evidence of your own eyes"?

Did you witness the virus escaping from a lab?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

Where's the scientific weight behind the zoonotic link?

The "Experts" aren't always correct either, not to mention coercion maybe a factor, from scientists to publishers. Anyone questioning the origin are branded "Conspiracy Theorists". I think people questioning the obvious is absolutely healthy.

It's the current scientific consensus, open just about any journal or piece or article on the subject.

No one is saying the experts are always correct, likewise no need to put that word in quotes, there are plenty of experts around.

In the absence of overwhelming evidence, we can use straightforward logic. If 80 scientists say X and 20 say Y (with papers, evidence, rebuttals, etc), then it's likely the answer is X. Keyword: likely. But Y can't be fully ruled out.

In this particular case, the zoonotic link is currently and widely considered the stronger theory. But lab leak cannot be ruled out.

Anyone questioning the origin are branded "Conspiracy Theorists".

Scientists and experts are questioning the origin, it's what they do, it's perfectly healthy.

Conspiracy theorists are generally people who've decided something is a conspiracy and are working backwards from there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

In the absence of overwhelming evidence, we can use straightforward logic. If 80 scientists say X and 20 say Y (with papers, evidence, rebuttals, etc), then it's likely the answer is X. Keyword: likely. But Y can't be fully ruled out.

And even if Y is that the vaccines are not safe and effective for those under 18, presumably Y still cannot be fully ruled out?

• Advertisement

But the overwhelming evidence is that that vaccines are safe and effective.

Advertisement